Apple to gather media for Spring event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Regular product updates do not warrant a media event. I think Apple/Steve have learned their lesson.

I would come to the exactly opposite conclusion given the last eight months...
  • Reply 22 of 84
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

I also think it needs a HD-DVD SuperMultiDrive to compete with the new Toshiba 17" Qosmio? G35 AV Portable with HD-DVD just being released in Europe now for only $2400. I don't see shelling out $3k for a top of the line 17" MacBook Pro without a HD-DVD OR Blueray optical drive inside. It's way too close to that difusion time to settle for an old DL "Super"drive as "state-of-the-art". Toshiba has thrown down the gauntlet and Apple better follow if they want to sell a lot of 17" MBPs. Ignoring HD-DVD or Blueray this year at the top of the line would be completely LAME.

Are you kidding? The Toshiba laptop is 1.79" thick and weighs in (at a minimum, according to docs) at 10.1lbs! I'm not saying that that's necessarily bad, I'm just saying that Apple won't produce such a hulking laptop.

That said, an Blu-ray drive would be an interesting addition to the new MBP. But I think it's likely that the 17" MBP would sell plenty of models anyway, without it, but that would certainly jive with Apple's penchant for being on the bleeding edge (sometimes) of implementing new technologies. Oh, and I doubt the 17" MBP will cost a penny less than $2999, if their current line-up is anything to judge by.

I'm even expecting a bump in the price of iBooks--to $999 and $1499. I think the demand for a faster Apple laptop is pent up to the point where the $200 won't make much of a difference to buyers.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Here's what I hope:

1. A "Video iPod" that isn't. That is, a Nokia 770 like device done "right". Not a movie player, whose market is currently, so far as I can see, close to non-existant.

2. The return of the Cube (Intel version), as a mid-range headless Mac for those who do not want an integrated Mac (ie most computer buyers.) Models in the $999-1,499 range.

3. The new MacBook. An Intel iBook with a 13" widescreen and iMac like graphics.

4. One last thing: A PowerBook G5.

Here's what I suspect:

1. The new MacBook. An Intel iBook that can't play games.

2. A car charger and dock for the iPod. $299.

3. A wall mount for the iPod Hifi made from solid ivory, ornamented with genuine Sierra Leone diamonds. $799.

4. One last thing: That's it guys. We have several cars in the parking lot we plugged the iPod car-charger/dock thing into, if you all want to have a look.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

I also think it needs a HD-DVD SuperMultiDrive to compete with the new Toshiba 17" Qosmio? G35 AV Portable with HD-DVD just being released in Europe now for only $2400. I don't see shelling out $3k for a top of the line 17" MacBook Pro without a HD-DVD OR Blueray optical drive inside. It's way too close to that difusion time to settle for an old DL "Super"drive as "state-of-the-art". Toshiba has thrown down the gauntlet and Apple better follow if they want to sell a lot of 17" MBPs. Ignoring HD-DVD or Blueray this year at the top of the line would be completely LAME.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Are you kidding? The Toshiba laptop is 1.79" thick and weighs in (at a minimum, according to docs) at 10.1lbs! I'm not saying that that's necessarily bad, I'm just saying that Apple won't produce such a hulking laptop.

That said, an Blu-ray drive would be an interesting addition to the new MBP. But I think it's likely that the 17" MBP would sell plenty of models anyway, without it, but that would certainly jive with Apple's penchant for being on the bleeding edge (sometimes) of implementing new technologies. Oh, and I doubt the 17" MBP will cost a penny less than $2999, if their current line-up is anything to judge by.

I'm even expecting a bump in the price of iBooks--to $999 and $1499. I think the demand for a faster Apple laptop is pent up to the point where the $200 won't make much of a difference to buyers.

I don't mean a CLONE of the Toshiba G35. I mean a similar set of acvanced AV features. I agree it shouldn't be as heavy. And I agree pent up need for speed trumps advanced feature sets. But I don't want to leap to ONLY faster from where I am now. I would wait for one of the HD SuperMultiDrives and dual HDs before pulling the trigger. That's just me. I'm sure many will opt for speed as enough of a reason. Not me. I'll settle for the speed I get with the Quad on the desktop until Apple can deliver more features in the 17" model.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    With the move to Intel it's a sure thing that Apple will roll out one line at a time in terms of commencement of production. They'll do the best job they can with each ramp up and then go to the next line. Because of the education buying season coming up fast the iBook replacement looks to be the most likely for the next release and I think it'll be something special. J Ive hasn't delivered a new design for a while (in terms of computers) and I think he will have put a lot of effort into the iBook replacement.

There might also be an announcement of a new "education only" product - and eMac replacement. That would be interesting - and interesting to see if they could keep it education only.

I'm one that believes that a full video iPod is on the way, but will only be released when all of the pieces are in place. Agreements with the movie studios will probably be the last piece to get into place.

As with the last announcement I believe that Apple will deliver what is ready and benefit from the media attention that goes with S Jobs walking on stage. Should be fun.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Let's speculate on the possibilities:

1. MacBook 13- Intel Core Solos, crippled video out, Front Row, and probably iSight integration

2. MacBook Pro 13 and maybe 17- same as above without limitations and with Core Duos

3. Mac Pro?- still a big hulking tower, but maybe with finally enough drive bays and ports given the intel architecture

4. iPod video- i don't care about this and i don't know who really wants to watch tiny movies in the US (Japan is a different story), but i think it might happen anyway

What we won't see:

1. no tablet Mac (still haven't seen a compelling reason for this besides techno-fetish lust)- i think adding touchscreens to the MacBook pros would still be better

2. no improved Airport Base Stations despite it being rendered mostly useless by the Express, certainly nothing for really invading the living room with.

3. no mid-range tower mac, it will not happen, either just buy a mini or a mac pro.

4. no HD DVD or Blu-ray yet. This format war is going to slow adoption massively, and unless someone has a dual format drive already, it would be best to wait for an end of year update before the christmas season or perhaps next spring to see which is in better position.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    voxxvoxx Posts: 6member
    Are you all aware of this shocking rumor that has just hit.... God, I hope this isn't true

http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php...ething&id=1412

The Origami - iPod AV Fiasco

Roger Born

Columnist, The Macintosh Continuum

Friday, 03/10/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a stunning revelation, we have learned that the new Samsung handtop computer that people have been clucking over at CES, is harboring a great secret. The new feature-weak UMPC is really the new advanced Apple iPod AV that is going to be released April 1st, on Apple's thirtieth anniversary.

it's true - the new ipod video device is actually the exact same samsung model of the new microsoft origami UMPC. it will just have an Apple logo on it, instead of the Samsung lable. Apple thought it was very smart to use an excellent palmtop device from the cutting edge Korean company, instead of another company from China.

The new UMPC-branded with the name Samsung, is actually the specified device that Apple ordered for it's new iPod AV.

Consternation is reigning in Redmond over this fiasco, as you can imagine.

Technologic Pundits have already slammed the UMPC as a warmed-over Microsoft Tablet PC from five years ago. It still has poor battery-life, a weak feature set, and an agonizing human interface. However, these same people, when they found out that the Samsung device will actually be the new iPod AV, they applauded its elegant design, powerful battery life, and the excellent, world-class interface. Just knowing Apple has designed the new interface for the new device, they knew it will be an instant hit. "It is a lousy Tablet, but an excellent iPod!" - Said Harvey Cormer of Wiseacre Electronics.

The new iPod AV, obviously, will not have the Windows For Tablet software on board, and thusly, will have an eight hour battery life (the UMPC has 2), due to specifying better batteries, and using more intelligent power management software.

Prices are very different for the two branded device, with the Redmond device going for 8 big ones and the iPod for 5.

People who just found out about this 'interesting' problem are already asking if the new iPod AV could also run Windows.

Samsung scored a real coup here, selling the same device to both Microsoft and Apple without either of them knowing about it.

You heard it here first.

April first will really be April first this year.

Regards,

Roger Born

"Sorry. No refunds."
  • Reply 28 of 84
    There will be two announcements at this event: The new MacBooks replacing the iBook line, and the touch/widescreen Video iPod with attendant movie store.

New MacBooks are a slam dunk. Intel transition aside, April is the EDU buying season and Apple needs new entry level laptops. Here are the specs, and yes, the price points will remain the same despite the "downgrade" to integrated graphics:

13.3" 1280x800 widescreen

1.5 GHz Core Solo

Combo Drive

Intel GMA950 Integrated GPU

512 RAM

60GB HD

Built-in iSight

Built-in AirPort Extreme

Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Front Row with remote

MagSafe power connector

Scrolling Trackpad

Sudden Motion Sensor

Overall slimmer, sleeker and sexier case design

$999

1.66 GHz Core Duo

SuperDrive

Intel GMA950 Integrated GPU

512 RAM

80GB HD

Built-in iSight

Built-in AirPort Extreme

Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Front Row with remote

MagSafe power connector

Scrolling Trackpad

Sudden Motion Sensor

Overall slimmer, sleeker and sexier case design

$1299

The much bigger news of course will be the release of the 4" wide/touchscreen Video iPod and the iTunes Movie Store to feed it. As usual, the geeks are hung up on the hardware specs and Internet mockups when the real story is is the content deals.

Apple wants to rule legally downloaded movies the way they already rule legally downloaded music. They want to be first out of the gate with a complete end to end solution (content/store/software/TV playback/portable device) and they want to preserve the "download to own" model.

Big Content, in their never ending stupidity, is opposed to this as they seek to monetize every viewing of every piece of copyrighted material. Steve personally dragged the record labels kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and now he has the same (even harder) task with the brain dead movie studios.

As TS reported, talks are at a stand still with an apparently united movie industry, but the way I see it, Steve only needs to peel off one rogue studio to launch the Video iPod on his (and our) terms.

If he can get, let's say Paramount and their entire back catalog to go along with all the Disney and Pixar content, then that will be more than enough to prove the download to own model. In six months when the rest of the studios realize their error, they'll have to go back to Steve and beg to get in on the action.

Of course my personal choice would be to sign up 20th Century Fox to get the Star Wars franchise. Hell, Steve could launch a movie store with nothing but LucasFilm and Pixar and it would be enough of an initial success to force the other studios to play ball.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by voxx

Are you all aware of this shocking rumor that has just hit.... God, I hope this isn't true

<snip> ridiculous nonsense about Apple using Samsung UMPC hardware as an iPod<snip>

Utter and complete bullshit.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

[B]Here's what I hope:

4. One last thing: A PowerBook G5.

Huh??????
  • Reply 31 of 84
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by voxx

http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php...ething&id=1412

The Origami - iPod AV Fiasco

Roger Born

Columnist, The Macintosh Continuum

Friday, 03/10/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a stunning revelation, we have learned that the new Samsung handtop computer that people have been clucking over at CES, is harboring a great secret. The new feature-weak UMPC is really the new advanced Apple iPod AV that is going to be released April 1st, on Apple's thirtieth anniversary.

it's true - the new ipod video device is actually the exact same samsung model of the new microsoft origami UMPC. it will just have an Apple logo on it, instead of the Samsung lable. Apple thought it was very smart to use an excellent palmtop device from the cutting edge Korean company, instead of another company from China.

The new UMPC-branded with the name Samsung, is actually the specified device that Apple ordered for it's new iPod AV.

Consternation is reigning in Redmond over this fiasco, as you can imagine.

Technologic Pundits have already slammed the UMPC as a warmed-over Microsoft Tablet PC from five years ago. It still has poor battery-life, a weak feature set, and an agonizing human interface. However, these same people, when they found out that the Samsung device will actually be the new iPod AV, they applauded its elegant design, powerful battery life, and the excellent, world-class interface. Just knowing Apple has designed the new interface for the new device, they knew it will be an instant hit. "It is a lousy Tablet, but an excellent iPod!" - Said Harvey Cormer of Wiseacre Electronics.

The new iPod AV, obviously, will not have the Windows For Tablet software on board, and thusly, will have an eight hour battery life (the UMPC has 2), due to specifying better batteries, and using more intelligent power management software.

Prices are very different for the two branded device, with the Redmond device going for 8 big ones and the iPod for 5.

People who just found out about this 'interesting' problem are already asking if the new iPod AV could also run Windows.

Samsung scored a real coup here, selling the same device to both Microsoft and Apple without either of them knowing about it.

You heard it here first.

April first will really be April first this year.

Regards,

Roger Born

"Sorry. No refunds."

no posting after your high!

• Reply 32 of 84
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

I don't mean a CLONE of the Toshiba G35. I mean a similar set of acvanced AV features. I agree it shouldn't be as heavy. And I agree pent up need for speed trumps advanced feature sets. But I don't want to leap to ONLY faster from where I am now. I would wait for one of the HD SuperMultiDrives and dual HDs before pulling the trigger.

You'll never see dual hard drives in an Apple laptop. It's irreconcilable with light weight and slim form. The Toshiba weighs 10 pounds and is 2.1" thick - that's literally TWO 15" MBPs stacked on top of each other, in both weight and width. But despite its size, the Toshiba's specs are middling - the 1.83 CoreDuo and the 1440x900 screen, both the same you find in the $1999 MBP (I'm not qualified to comment on the Go7300 GPU). And maybe I'm missing something, but the spec page doesn't list any HD formats as being supported by the "SuperMulti" drive - just the typical CD and DVD formats. I don't think it's an HD burner or player at all. So you're paying $500 extra for the Toshiba's bigger pixels, bigger size, bigger weight, etc. It's utterly alien to Apple's design philosophy.

I'm torn over whether Apple might ship an HD drive, even if this Toshiba isn't. They are a Blu-Ray member, but actually shipping Blu-Ray drives might alienate the HD-DVD consortium members - including Intel and several TV/movie studios with whom Apple is probably pursuing content deals. And I don't think Blu-Ray players will be debuting anywhere all for over a year yet. I thought this was one factor holding back the PS3, that Blu-Ray drives weren't yet ready for production. Thanks to the warring consortiums, there will be no dual-compatible players for the foreseeable future. So I wouldn't count on seeing Blu-Ray drives in any laptops, especially not Apple's, for a while yet.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Huh??????

The first list, which includes the PowerBook G5, is the stuff I *hope* for, not the stuff I think will happen in a million years...
  • Reply 34 of 84
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

1.66 GHz Core Duo

SuperDrive

<snip>

$1299

Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! That'd be a perfect replacement for my TiBook! I don't care about losing 54 vertical pixels if I can have something compact.

It's too perfect actually. I'm hoping Apple doesn't skimp on the screen. I don't care about the integrated graphics. DVI-D and gigabit ethernet would be nice (the Mac mini has it)...maybe it's a standard feature on Intel-based motherboards now?

Voch
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! That'd be a perfect replacement for my TiBook!

It's too perfect actually. I'm hoping Apple doesn't skimp on the screen. I don't care about the integrated graphics. Gigabit ethernet would be nice (the Mac mini has it)...maybe it's a standard feature on Intel-based motherboards now?

Voch

I'm with you Voch, such a machine would sell like hotcakes to everyone: average consumers, switchers, hipster chicks, institutional EDU buyers, software developers, Linux dorks, and lots of plain old Mac geeks that can't afford/don't care about a dedicated GPU. Apple won't be able to build them fast enough, especially if they also offer it in "iPod black".

Myself, I'll still hold out for a MacBook Pro with a 13" widescreen, Core Duo processor AND a dedicated 128MB GPU. This is what Apple is holding over our heads at the $1599 price point. They're slow rolling that "best of both worlds" model to milk as many $2K+ 15" MacBook Pro sales as possible. No reason to bring out a "just as good" 13" model for hundreds less when they don't have to yet.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I am weeks-month away from buying my first iPod. I want a 80GB 5G (no big video display 100% useless to me) for $399, along with 25-30 hour battery life. Then I will buy my first iPod and my mom might upgrade her 30GB she bought last week to the new one (Best-Buy/Futureshop 3-Year warrenty).
  • Reply 37 of 84
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I wonder if they offered one in iPod Black, if the Mag Safe Power Adapter that came with it would also be in black or do you think they would keep it white?
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

I am weeks-month away from buying my first iPod. I want a 80GB 5G (no big video display 100% useless to me) for $399, along with 25-30 hour battery life. Then I will buy my first iPod and my mom might upgrade her 30GB she bought last week to the new one (Best-Buy/Futureshop 3-Year warrenty).

Do you sleep?!?! If you need that much battery power, you can connect a small solar panel to your iPod (there are several made). They even work in university libraries, though not as well as in direct sunlight. More stamina for video playback would be nice and can probably be achieved using flash memory, but Apple cannot increase the size factor now that it has been shrunk (5G). A dedicated video device would be radically different from the 5G and would likely have a larger from factor due to the battery. Perhaps it will have a solar charger built into the display... (SOny's PSP has better battery stamina on video playback by far with a smaller battery). Don't think they will go to 80GB on the iPod (the current trend at least with the nano is less memory and lower prices); with the 60GB you have 1000 hours worth of music, more than the average person can listen to in the average day, and a little more than the 25 hour-battery you seek. More memory will be on board the video device, but again, it will be slightly larger.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Apple won't be able to build them fast enough

That's my other worry. I bought an iBook/500 shortly after it was introduced in May 2001 and it arrived pretty quickly. I don't know about the forthcoming MacBook.

Voch
  • Reply 40 of 84
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I wonder if the new MacBook will be able to attach to one of the Apple Cinema Displays?