Surefire Indicator That Apple Will Soon Release New Hardware

Comments

• Reply 61 of 187
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Pardon me, but what problems have you noticed.? My MacBook Pro has been so far exemplary!

Sound is good.

Production is also good.

I am perplexed.

\

There's just been a few issues with the MacBook Pros. For example, whining noises.
  • Reply 62 of 187
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

There's just been a few issues with the MacBook Pros. For example, whining noises.

From the FWIW department:

A teacher colleague (a Windows switcher) just told me that while trying to buy a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro yesterday, with the $200 educator discount, she was persuaded by an Apple Store employee to hold off if she wanted to "save $500." Because "Apple's 30th anniversary is this weekend," to "expect a big announcement about it" over the weekend or early next week. She was told to hold off purchasing an Apple until next week, and that "everything would be Intel," and, "you didn't hear it from me!" I inferred from the conversation as she related it that 'everything' was in reference to the laptops.

Again, FWIW. I'll believe it when I see it!
  • Reply 63 of 187
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Damn! Who dug this thread up?
  • Reply 64 of 187
    To those of you who think Apple will just ignore their 30th birthday as if nothing happened: You're (probably) terribly mistaken.

Apple loves media attention. Hell, they work the media into a frenzy over introducing the new Mac Mini and iPod HiFi for no reason at all! And now they have a perfectly good reason, and they're just going to pass it up? I don't think so!

I have no clue what they'll introduce or what they'll do, but it would be very surprising if it were nothing.
  • Reply 65 of 187
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, I expect that Apple wants our jaws to drop on Saturday. Having no mention of it (i.e. no invitations) makes me think that even more. I expect we'll wake up to find $999 Intel iMacs Saturday -- and only Saturday -- or something as equally sale-like.
  • Reply 66 of 187
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    And then it says April fools on your $1,699.00, or $1,299.00 bill the following day.
  • Reply 67 of 187
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Yeah, I expect that Apple wants our jaws to drop on Saturday. Having no mention of it (i.e. no invitations) makes me think that even more. I expect we'll wake up to find $999 Intel iMacs Saturday -- and only Saturday -- or something as equally sale-like.

1 free iTune track for all would be a cool present. Bugger, a free mac for all would be ace, and probably just as unlikely!
  • Reply 68 of 187
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

1 free iTune track for all would be a cool present. Bugger, a free mac for all would be ace, and probably just as unlikely!

"If elected President, I promise that there will be a Mac mini in every pot?!"
  • Reply 69 of 187
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

Updates from Apple this week:

iPod Updater 2006-03-23

Final Cut Pro 5

Soundtrack Pro

Motion 2

DVD Studio Pro 4

This guarantees new hardware within about 10 days time.

Now System Update version 10.4.6 has been released.

We have about 7 more days. That puts us at next Tuesday.
  • Reply 70 of 187
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple Special Event - April 11th?

This coincides with the expiration of a sale at Amazon.com, although it's not really illustrative of anything.

Quote:

ntel Macs on sale! Up to $150 off MacBook Pros, iMacs, and Mac minis through April 11th

Monday, April 3 2006 @ 9:31 AM CT | Article Link

Amazon.com is offering mail-in rebates worth up to $150 off the price of a MacBook Pro, iMac, or Mac mini through April 11th (see the rebate form available on each product's specification page). To qualify for the rebate, you must purchase the Mac from Amazon.com -- not one of their partners (Office Depot, etc.). Including the rebate, prices are as follows. Ground shipping is free:

- 15" 2GHz MacBook Pro: $2349.99 MSRP $2499; sku B0006PK94Q

- 15" 1.83GHz MacBook Pro: $1849.99 MSRP $1999; sku B000BNLC3K

- 20" 2.0GHz iMac: $1549.99 MSRP $1699; sku B000BNLGJA

- 17" 1.8GHz iMac: $1174.99 MSRP $1299; sku B000BNNGUC

- 1.66GHz Mac mini: $774.99 MSRP $799; sku B000EPWDTM

- 1.5GHz Mac mini: $574.99 MSRP $599; sku B000EPWDTC

All models are in stock today with 24-hour shipping.

• Reply 71 of 187
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Apple Special Event - April 11th?

This coincides with the expiration of a sale at Amazon.com, although it's not really illustrative of anything.

I don't think that means anything. There is always a rebate at amazon (I took advantage of one myself). As soon as an offer ends, they replace it with a new one.
  • Reply 72 of 187
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

From the FWIW department:

A teacher colleague (a Windows switcher) just told me that while trying to buy a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro yesterday, with the $200 educator discount, she was persuaded by an Apple Store employee to hold off if she wanted to "save $500." Because "Apple's 30th anniversary is this weekend," to "expect a big announcement about it" over the weekend or early next week. She was told to hold off purchasing an Apple until next week, and that "everything would be Intel," and, "you didn't hear it from me!" I inferred from the conversation as she related it that 'everything' was in reference to the laptops.

Again, FWIW. I'll believe it when I see it!

Did the conversation take place in an elevator? If so, I'll give it some credit!

Never saw this thread before... very interesting sleuthing going on. Hope it's true!

Does anyone have a short list of the past few occurrances?
  • Reply 73 of 187
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    rongold, I haven't been following this thread since its inception last summer, so I haven't seen the correlation directly, myself. From the replies above, it does seem others are convinced.

My question is what logic drives the correlation. Groking the logic behind it may lead to insight into other timeline patterns.

Presumably hardware driver updates are only needed by the new machines being released, so such doesn't need to be released early, since it will ship with new machines.

Maybe Apple software cycles are mated to the hardware cycles, but again that would logically be driven by the need for new drivers, not patches and upgrades to existing software.

Regardless, if the pattern works, kudos for discerning it!
  • Reply 74 of 187
    My theory is that Apple has to clear the gates and assures the buying public that they are continuing to address these customers concerns and brings assurance that they are working for us. It goes a little bit farther than even updating software to correct any outstanding issues. In some cases it involves new trade-in programs (ie: scratched iPod finish issues, scrambled or distorted video issues with G5s) or even firmware updates, all in an effort to make sure everyone is happy so they can go on introducing new hardware without leaving purchasers of recent hardware out in the cold.

Here is a collection of updates covering the length of time this thread has been going. I haven't bothered including the previous 2 or 3 years that instigated my hypothesis but I think you will get the point.

The updates were released a week or two previous to new hardware announcements. There has been a case where there was an entire string of updates lasting for 3 weeks as noted below.

July 13 - 26

iSync 2.1 Update

Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update

iPhoto 5.0.3 Update

Airport 4.2 Update

DVD Studio Pro 4.0.1 Update

Final Cut Pro 5.0.2 Update

SoundTrack Pro 1.0.1 Update

GarageBand 2.0.2 Update

DVD Studio Pro 5 Update

Compressor 2 Update

Apple Qmaster 2 Update

Then on July 26

Apple Enhances Mac mini

Apple Unveils Faster iBooks

-

August 29 - September 6

FileMaker Pro 8

Safari 2.0.1 Update

Safari 1.3.1 Update

QuickTime 6.5.2 Update for Windows

Then on September 7

Apple Introduces iPod nano

_

This part is weird. You can look at this one as an extra week of updates being released (going into October) or break it down into two separate cycles (end of September, beginning of October) as I did hear.

September 13 - 22

Security Update 2005-007

iPod Updater

Backup 3.0

iTunes 5.0.1

Xsan Tuner

Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 Release 2

Java Security Update and WaveBurner 1.1.1.

Then on September 27

Apple UNOFFICIALLY starts selling new Mac minis with faster hard drives, bigger video card, faster processor, new faster super drive in addition to dual-layer reading and writing, integrated wi-fi/Bluetooth card with EDR.

_

September 22 - October 4

Security Update 2005-008 (Mac OS X 10.3.9)

Security Update 2005-008 (Mac OS X 10.4.2)

QuickTime 7.0.2 for Mac

QuickTime 7.0.2 for Windows

Logic Pro Update 7.1.1

Logic Express Update 7.1.1

Then on October 12, 2005

Apple Unveils the New iPod

Apple Introduces the New iMac G5

_

December 23 - January 3

AirPort Extreme Firmware Update 5.7 for Mac OS X

AirPort Extreme Firmware Update 5.7 for Windows

AirPortExpress Firmware Update 6.3 for Mac OS X

AirPortExpress Firmware Update 6.3 for Windows

Aperture 1.0.1 Update

Soundtrack Pro Update

Compressor 2 Update

Then on January 10

Apple Unveils New iMac with Intel Core Duo Processor

Apple Introduces MacBook Pro

Apple Announces the iPod Radio Remote

_

February 14 - 20

iWeb 1.0.1

iDVD 6.0.1

iMovie HD 6.0.1

iPhoto 6.0.1

Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update

Mac OS X Server 10.4.5 Update

Then on February 28

Apple Announces iPod Hi-Fi

Apple Unveils Mac mini with Intel Core Duo

-

March 27 - ?

MacBook Pro (early 2006) Firmware Update 1.0.1

iMac (early 2006) Firmware Update 1.0.1

Mac mini (early 2006) Firmware Update 1.0.1

Bonjour for Windows 1.0.3

Java 2 Standard Edition 5.0 Release 4 (PPC)

Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 (Universal)

Aperture 1.1

Apple Remote Desktop 3.0

Boot Camp

Mac mini (early 2006) Firmware Update 1.0

Mac (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0

Mac (Intel) Firmware Restorer 1.0

Mac OS X Server 10.4.6 Combo (Universal)

Mac OS X Server 10.4.6 (Universal)

Mac OS X 10.4.6 for Intel (Universal)

Mac OS X 10.4.6 for PPC (Universal)

Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for PPC

Mac OS X 10.4.6 Combo for Intel (Universal)

Final Cut Pro 5

Soundtrack Pro

Motion 2

DVD Studio Pro 4

iPod Updater 2006-03-23 (Universal)

Then on April ?

will Apple Announce or unveil some new hardware?

-
  • Reply 75 of 187
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I am waiting to see some new hardware! Still no new hardware. The rumors are a waste! Apple still didn't acknowledge their 30th WTF, WTF!!
  • Reply 76 of 187
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I am waiting to see some new hardware! Still no new hardware. The rumors are a waste! Apple still didn't acknowledge their 30th WTF, WTF!!

Easy, easy. We still have till next Tuesday.

I suppose it is possible that they could continue to release updates for a 3 week period leading up to some sort of involved hardware unveiling on the 18th rather than the 11th.

I can't believe you expected Apple to give YOU something on THEIR birthday. Doesn't it usually work the other way around. If you are talking about Apple celebrating (ah, I see you asked about Apple not even acknowledging), I think corporations usually celebrate a monumental event, like being in business for 30 years, throughout the course of the year.
  • Reply 77 of 187
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What's that smell? Below, oh yea it's him!
  • Reply 78 of 187
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

That's so funny I forgot to laugh! Apple, gimme, gimme gimme!

what's that smell?

I couldnt' be a troll could it?
  • Reply 79 of 187
    This theory for predicting when Apple releases new products sounds intriguing. But what I want to know is how often does Apple release lots of software updates like you describe but there is NOT a following hardware upgrade?
  • Reply 80 of 187
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

what's that smell?

I couldnt' be a troll could it?

Ireland a troll? He's a complete nutcase and in need of sedatives, but he's hardly a troll.