Apple quietly pushing revised MacBook Pros to market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    A friend complaining of the heat issue AND the airport disconnect-on-sleep issue called his Apple Store's Genius Bar. They referred him to SOS-APPLE to see about getting his MacBook Pro replaced (as Apple suggested in the article). He was given no way to do so.

Anyone else?
  • Reply 22 of 48
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Revision E here, arrived last Monday. So far so good.

And folks? The bar above the function keys is "supposed" to be very hot -- it's right above the fan exhaust near the end. You'd be a fool to return your machine because of that, and no, it won't be fixed, not in Rev F, not in Rev G, not in Rev Z.

Just... don't touch it. I mean, why would you? Keep your hands on the keyboard. There's no reason to touch that area. There's nothing there! Problem solved.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Moral of the story: use Intel for the CPU, but don't depend on them for anything else.

The sort of problems they are having sound very PC like, and I don't want PC like problems in a Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Don't get me wrong - faithful Mac user since my first 600mhz iBook G3.

My MacBook is being sent out tomorrow for serious repair or a replacement (more likely).

I'm getting the whirring noise (I honestly can't stand it at all, it really bothers me), it won't wake from sleep (have to hold down power key), the trackpad occasionally doesn't respond for about 5 seconds, it drops out from AirPort networks, and it overheats severely above the F1,F2, etc. keys.

Apple had me boot off the DVD install disc, and hold D. This booted up into Apple Hardware Diagnostics. It came up with an error, and the Apple tech on the phone told me it meant i had a Logic Board failure.

This is a Rev. D MBP (W86111.......)

He told me they would most likely put my Hard Drive in a new MBP and ship it to me within 7-10 business days. Yikes. Not what I expected from a rev. d. $2000+ computer.

I love the machine itself, less its faults, and look forward to getting a revised edition...if the new one keeps making the whine though...which bothers me very very much....I think I might see if I can get a refund, it really is that bad for me at least.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i'm debating on returning mine if they gave me a new version.

my MB only seems to have the cpu whine, however i did experience the lcd whine (brightness whine) once, never again though? how is that possible? maybe i shoudl test it.

anyways, besides that the machine is a dream and i'm afraid to return it, what if i get a worse computer?

oh, and the trackpad clicker seems to be loose.

is that normal? its kind of squeeshy , i dont think its supposed to be.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Apple stuff is so confusingly put together it all falls apart.

For instance after 2 weeks of my G5 imac.

-foot became misaligned

-screen was rested straight (170 degrees ~)

-the back was loose and if you push it softly you can feel movement and hear it too.

-The screen is loose at the corners and the color faded a bit.

-Some of the port alignments were off, and i just could not get the modem lead out.

-Everything became instantly dirty, grime gathered everywhere.

ho hum.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    i have an old (ha.. old) MacBook Pro, its W8607XXXXXX series. It did have a bad buzzing LCD inverter, but i swapped that part out and it fixed it. I can faintly hear the CPU idle whine if its quite enough in the room. Other than that its great, there are none of the other listed problems.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Apple stuff is so confusingly put together it all falls apart.

For instance after 2 weeks of my G5 imac.

-foot became misaligned

-screen was rested straight (170 degrees ~)

-the back was loose and if you push it softly you can feel movement and hear it too.

-The screen is loose at the corners and the color faded a bit.

-Some of the port alignments were off, and i just could not get the modem lead out.

-Everything became instantly dirty, grime gathered everywhere.

ho hum.

What the hell did you do, drop it in a dustbin from a great height?? That's the only explanation for misaligned ports and 'instantly dirty'...

Seriously. I have Apple machines 2, 3, 5, and 8 years old still going strong after serious use and abuse. To say it 'all falls apart' is a bit hard to swallow.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkExpensive

I love the machine itself, less its faults, and look forward to getting a revised edition...if the new one keeps making the whine though...which bothers me very very much....I think I might see if I can get a refund, it really is that bad for me at least.

Dude. They all make the noise. I'm utterly convinced of this. And if not all, surely almost all. My PowerBook also makes this noise, although more quietly.

If it bothers you, use the mirror widget or MagicNoiseKiller:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/down...oiseKiller.zip

Don't return it.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've got W8611. There's a definite soft high-pitched sound coming from it. It doesn't bother me, but then again, many of the things that seem to bother people don't bother me, like dead pixels. I could see some people getting annoyed by it. I haven't noticed ay heat issues.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Dude. They all make the noise. I'm utterly convinced of this. And if not all, surely almost all. My PowerBook also makes this noise, although more quietly.

If it bothers you, use the mirror widget or MagicNoiseKiller:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/down...oiseKiller.zip

Don't return it.

First off, I have the full right to return a machine that makes a high pitched noise that bothers me, especially when I paid $2300 for it.

Secondly, I think that the machine I have now has a particularly bad case of the high-pitched noise, i've listened to a friend of mines, and it's nothing like it.

As to the widget/magicnoisekiller I will never resort to using these as a fix. The whole purpose is to always run a processor intensive task in the background, which consumes more power, and takes up much needed resources (and in the case of the Mirror widget, disables you from using PhotoBooth or a Video Chat).

If the replacement makes the same noise this is making, I am 75% sure that I would return the machine or sell it... I honestly can't stand it.

edit: my old machine was a 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4, and that made aboslutely no noise whatsoever.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

First off, I have the full right to return a machine that makes a high pitched noise that bothers me, especially when I paid $2300 for it.

Secondly, I think that the machine I have now has a particularly bad case of the high-pitched noise, i've listened to a friend of mines, and it's nothing like it.

As to the widget/magicnoisekiller I will never resort to using these as a fix. The whole purpose is to always run a processor intensive task in the background, which consumes more power, and takes up much needed resources (and in the case of the Mirror widget, disables you from using PhotoBooth or a Video Chat).

If the replacement makes the same noise this is making, I am 75% sure that I would return the machine or sell it... I honestly can't stand it.

edit: my old machine was a 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4, and that made aboslutely no noise whatsoever.

Fine, be hot-headed and irrational. Your time and money to waste. You're acting foolishly, though. For one, you doesn't seem to be aware that Apple won't acknowledge the CPU whine as a problem, and will NOT fix it. (Unless you have the LCD whine instead, which they will fix.)

I would like to point out that you're not exactly informed, either.

A) None of these fixes take up extra processor resources. Believe me, I've tried. They make the noise go away, and that's it. Processor usage at idle is near 0% when I'm not doing anything after the fix. I haven't had any impact on battery life, either.

B) Using the Mirror Widget trick doesn't prevent you from using photobooth or video chat. The Mirror Widget trick is about opening, and then closing the widget. You don't keep it open. And you can use MagicNoiseKiller as a login item or put it in the Dock where you can click it once you're logged in.

Don't be ridiculous and try to tell me that dragging MagicNoiseKiller into login items is such a hassle. You log in, it opens, it immediately closes, and the noise stops. Blissful silence.

But sure, go on, "refuse" all you want. Your new machine will make the same noise. Clearly, you already decided to return it. Go right ahead, then. I don't care what you do.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

First, the "QuietMBP" fix by RedSweater does run a task that occupies 8% of one CPU, but it runs at the lowest priority so it will never interfere with your work. Second, the "MagicNoiseKiller" fix, like the Mirror widget it emulates, do not interfere with your ability to use the iSight. Third, from what I gathered at the Apple forums, the noise is not going to disappear any other way. It's caused by voltage changes when the CPU enters deep sleep, and is inherent to the CPU design. There little Apple can do about, in other words, besides asking Intel to work on it in their next CPU design. Non-Apple OEMs that "fix" the noise simply run a background task to suppress it, just like QuietMBP. My MBP has it, I run QuietMBP to suppress it, and I really don't think it's a big deal.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

First, the "QuietMBP" fix by RedSweater does run a task that occupies 8% of one CPU, but it runs at the lowest priority so it will never interfere with your work. Second, the "MagicNoiseKiller" fix, like the Mirror widget it emulates, do not interfere with your ability to use the iSight. Third, from what I gathered at the Apple forums, the noise is not going to disappear any other way. It's caused by voltage changes when the CPU enters deep sleep, and is inherent to the CPU design. There little Apple can do about, in other words, besides asking Intel to work on it in their next CPU design. Non-Apple OEMs that "fix" the noise simply run a background task to suppress it, just like QuietMBP. My MBP has it, I run QuietMBP to suppress it, and I really don't think it's a big deal.

Yet again, I think in my case the noise is just louder than it normaly is...secondly...yes it DOES interfere with Photobooth and video conferencing...when you try to use the iSight in another application it says that it can't be launched because the iSight is already in use...
  • Reply 35 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Fine, be hot-headed and irrational. Your time and money to waste. You're acting foolishly, though. For one, you doesn't seem to be aware that Apple won't acknowledge the CPU whine as a problem, and will NOT fix it. (Unless you have the LCD whine instead, which they will fix.)

I would like to point out that you're not exactly informed, either.

A) None of these fixes take up extra processor resources. Believe me, I've tried. They make the noise go away, and that's it. Processor usage at idle is near 0% when I'm not doing anything after the fix. I haven't had any impact on battery life, either.

B) Using the Mirror Widget trick doesn't prevent you from using photobooth or video chat. The Mirror Widget trick is about opening, and then closing the widget. You don't keep it open. And you can use MagicNoiseKiller as a login item or put it in the Dock where you can click it once you're logged in.

Don't be ridiculous and try to tell me that dragging MagicNoiseKiller into login items is such a hassle. You log in, it opens, it immediately closes, and the noise stops. Blissful silence.

But sure, go on, "refuse" all you want. Your new machine will make the same noise. Clearly, you already decided to return it. Go right ahead, then. I don't care what you do.

I'm trying to hold out for a merom mbp, but if people are going to return their core duos over this(noise), I may have to look at a refurb.

The only other question I have is , what's this about 'engineereing sample' with the core duo chips?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Fine, be hot-headed and irrational. Your time and money to waste. You're acting foolishly....

Wow...some of you people are absolutely insane...

Maybe it's a defect: but when i have the mirror widget up and running, and get out of dashboard, the light for the iSight still stays on, and I can't access PhotoBooth or a Video chat, I know that for a fact. (keep in mind my MBP has an official "logic board failure".

Secondly, I'm just saying that I SEEM TO HAVE AN EXTREEM CASE of the whining, if you would have read what I said, you would have known that. Thirdly, if it's so easy as installing a patch, why didn't Apple address it in 10.4.6?

People have to realize that macs will have problems, and that the average consumer shouldn't have to do some weird workaround for their product to stop hissing at them. If you would have read my post again, you would have also noted extensive trackpad problems, airport dropouts, and failures to wake from sleep. Are you honestly saying that i'm a foolish person?

All I said was that if the new MBP makes the SAME noise that my old one made, I would send it back (i can hear the noise over a song playing with 4 volume bars, it's bad).
  • Reply 37 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well actually, EFI is a public standard, and has been out for, what, two years? Three? Dell actually shipped an EFI machine back in, I think, Q4 2004.

It's not like it was a big ol' secret inside Intel, or that it's a new unproven technology. MS is still supporting EFI on Vista Server (64bit), but has decided to drop it for the consumer versions. Simply put, they couldn't make schedule. When that happens, features get dropped. Since there aren't too many EFI machines out there yet (even though it was supposed to be one of the Next Big Things in Windows boxes this next year due to Vista support), it actually made sense to make it a low priority for now.

GTW has had a machine that uses it for years. It's their Profile line, one of the butt ugliest machine lines EVAR to hit the streets!
  • Reply 38 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Wow...some of you people are absolutely insane...

Maybe it's a defect: but when i have the mirror widget up and running, and get out of dashboard, the light for the iSight still stays on, and I can't access PhotoBooth or a Video chat, I know that for a fact. (keep in mind my MBP has an official "logic board failure".

Secondly, I'm just saying that I SEEM TO HAVE AN EXTREEM CASE of the whining, if you would have read what I said, you would have known that. Thirdly, if it's so easy as installing a patch, why didn't Apple address it in 10.4.6?

People have to realize that macs will have problems, and that the average consumer shouldn't have to do some weird workaround for their product to stop hissing at them. If you would have read my post again, you would have also noted extensive trackpad problems, airport dropouts, and failures to wake from sleep. Are you honestly saying that i'm a foolish person?

All I said was that if the new MBP makes the SAME noise that my old one made, I would send it back (i can hear the noise over a song playing with 4 volume bars, it's bad).

If you get a logic board failure from the hardware test, you had better return it! A logic board failure of any kind can spread and cause the entire machine to fail, taking the HD along with it.

Back up your HD, I know you have a backup drive because of your user name. Then send the machine in.

This might be a fault of the chip, in which case PC machines will have the same problem (though, as mentioned, software routines can surpess it), or it could be a fault of the power supply, in which case Apple will eventually find out what it is, and fix it.

Either way, your machine is living on borrowed time.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If you get a logic board failure from the hardware test, you had better return it! A logic board failure of any kind can spread and cause the entire machine to fail, taking the HD along with it.

Back up your HD, I know you have a backup drive because of your user name. Then send the machine in.

This might be a fault of the chip, in which case PC machines will have the same problem (though, as mentioned, software routines can surpess it), or it could be a fault of the power supply, in which case Apple will eventually find out what it is, and fix it.

Either way, your machine is living on borrowed time.

dito, That's how I just lost my iBook G4. And now look at me, I've got a lousy Macbook Pro to replace it!
  • Reply 40 of 48
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

You don't leave the mirror widget running. That's the whole point. You just open it and then quit it. Not just leave Dashboard, but actually terminate the mirror widget. Somehow, magically, despite it no longer running and leaving no detectable processes, it keeps the noise away. That's a little too voodoo for me, so I use QuietMBP. I'm sure if you left it running, it would interfere with other uses of iSight. But you don't need to leave it running.

But none of this has anything to do with your failing logic board. If it's failing the HW test, get it fixed. That's almost certainly unrelated to the universal CPU whine.