Apple's "Boot Camp" beta runs Windows XP on Macs

Comments

• Reply 181 of 510
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Coming soon......

Jobs: Dell Should Close Shop

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," Steve Jobs said before a crowd of several thousand IT executives referring to the newly unprofitable status of Dell Corporation since the launch of BootCamp and Mac OS X Leopard.

http://news.com.com/Dell+Apple+shoul..._3-203937.html
  • Reply 182 of 510
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Heh. Looking at those pictures reminded me of when we still had to dual boot between the exciting new Mac OS X and bland old crash prone OS 9. In every way Windows will have the same function as OS 9
  • Reply 183 of 510
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I think Boot Camp is going to be just a test. They are going to see how many people are actually using it on a consistent basis and what they are using it for [gaming, AutoCAD perhaps, etc.].

From their, Apple is going to attempt to implement Windows APIs directly into OSX in an invisible layer. Similar to Darwine, maybe.

Anyways, I can just see Steve Jobs at WWDC: "So we released a beta of Boot Camp, software that allowed users to dual boot Windows and OSX. We said it would be in Leopard, but we decided not to include it. You see, we received a lot of great feedback about this software, but the one glaring problem still existed with all users: you're still using Windows. So today we're announcing Windows applications running natively inside of OSX. A huge library of software running in the secure OSX environment."

So on and so forth.

Of course you'de probably still need to buy a version of Windows and strip the APIs and shit off it so as to apease MS and so Apple can avoid a huge lawsuit.

Anyways, just a thought. I think this is coming sooner or later.
  • Reply 184 of 510
    Can anyone installing Boot camp confirm if the Driver disk includes Intel HD audio drivers for the audio chip and does it support the digital optical output?

Thanks for your help
  • Reply 185 of 510
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    This is set to become one of the biggest Diggs on 'Digg' ever!

It's now heading for 5000 diggs! That's cool! Oh yea, my shares are back up 10% too! Good times!
  • Reply 186 of 510
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

I think Boot Camp is going to be just a test. They are going to see how many people are actually using it on a consistent basis and what they are using it for [gaming, AutoCAD perhaps, etc.].

From their, Apple is going to attempt to implement Windows APIs directly into OSX in an invisible layer. Similar to Darwine, maybe.

Anyways, I can just see Steve Jobs at WWDC: "So we released a beta of Boot Camp, software that allowed users to dual boot Windows and OSX. We said it would be in Leopard, but we decided not to include it. You see, we received a lot of great feedback about this software, but the one glaring problem still existed with all users: you're still using Windows. So today we're announcing Windows applications running natively inside of OSX. A huge library of software running in the secure OSX environment."

So on and so forth.

Of course you'de probably still need to buy a version of Windows and strip the APIs and shit off it so as to apease MS and so Apple can avoid a huge lawsuit.

Anyways, just a thought. I think this is coming sooner or later.

I think that will arrive the day that Apple decides to commit suicide.
  • Reply 187 of 510
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Anybody have the same issues as me? Anybody know a workaround?

Quote:

Well, it's clear it's a beta. I downloaded it, installed it and wanted to run it. The first thing it said was: "upgrade your firmware". No link, no nothing. OK. So now I have to hunt for firmware upgrades.

So as I'm doing that, I find the firmware for Mac mini's (I have the Core Duo version). I download it, try to install it and it tells me 'This firmware cannot be upgraded on this computer'. Why? It's the only firmware upgrade for Intel Mac mini's and it's for the 'early 2006' Mac mini's.

You can't install XP because you need to upgrade your firmware, but you can't upgrade your firmware because your computer already has something that's newer than the one offered. This is great.

• Reply 188 of 510
    This is fantastic. This is exactly what I've always needed. I've had a Windows PC since college and therefore have collected a stack of software and games. Then I made the jump into the Mac world and have just enjoyed it so much better. I try to convince my friends and the rest of my family that they need to get a mac too. I can surf the internet without fear of constant attacks. And best of all, my three year old computer actually runs better now than it did when I first bought it (as opposed to their dell, which after two years now slugs along so slowly that it takes twenty minutes to boot up). They want what I have, but they can't give up all the software that they have and need. Being able to dual boot with Windows lets them do what they need to do for work, and then when they want to surf the web, or just relax, they can use OSX. This will definitely makes sales surge, and I think that the mini especially is going to see a lot action.

Other sales that are going to surge are old PCs on ebay as Mac users who have them sitting around for those occasional apps are going to toss them. It's also possible the KVM switch sales are going to plummet.
  • Reply 189 of 510
    Guys.

Seriously.

Gaming arguments belong elsewhere.

------------- Line of tolerance --------------
  • Reply 190 of 510
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Welcome to the 21st century where Intel Macs ship with multi-button mice

Holy Black Turtle-neck batman! Macbooks have 2 mouse buttons?

All joking aside, imagine reading that same sentence 9 years ago...Most Mac-heads would have fallen on the floor laughing in between random OS8 crashes...my how far we have come.
  • Reply 191 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Holy Black Turtle-neck batman! Macbooks have 2 mouse buttons?

You know, that may be the most disappointing thing about this whole announcement, to me... the fact that they didn't hack right-clicking into the XP trackpad driver somehow.

Seriously, without buying a USB pointer device with two buttons, how are you supposed to right-click in XP on a MacBook Pro? You can't ctrl-click...
  • Reply 192 of 510
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Ooooookay, clear as mud.

1) The URL is kaput. Removing the crud from the middle that shows up in my address bar, I get bumped to the BootCamp article. Not seeing anything new there.

2) The URL you *gave* looks interesting, but doesn't seem to resolve to a page on that topic.

I don't know what happened. The page works fine from my bookmarks, and I just dragged it in, as usual.

I'll try again

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...esistant_code/

The entire address isn't moving over. I don't know why. It's worked in the past.

I'm going to try putting it in by hand (ugh!)

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...esistant_code/

Nope! That didn't work either.

I'll send it to you in a private message.Let me know if it came over that way. It's very strange.
  • Reply 193 of 510
    Alright kiddies... PC vs console flame war is now over here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=62568

Use it. Any further posts in this thread will be summarily deleted as Placebo's just was. (Sorry man, you posted mid-split. I'm sure you can recreate it over in the new thread.)
  • Reply 194 of 510
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

See my reply right above yours... would you want 2 OS's sharing a computer? That will == more complex problems... esp with malware...

There is a reason they restricted hardware to the OS recently. I don't know if you were around but back in the pre win 2k days... and pre os x days... hardware could be directly accessed by applications... which caused a lot of lock ups. No thanks, I'll stick to mah 1 OS per machine rule =)

But back in those days you didn't have hardware based virtualisation technology to partition the OSs from each other. Only big iron mainframes and AS400s had that kind of hardware support. Now you've got it in Intel's Core platform.
  • Reply 195 of 510
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Boot Camp is the necessary evil you must suffer to go off and win the war.

Or at least take part anyway.
  • Reply 196 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Since Apple mentions Leopard a lot here, I've been wondering - why are they tying it to Leopard so much and not just saying it is new free software (albeit in beta stage at present)?

In my opinion, clearly there are more tweaks which are only available in 10.5. Hopefully 10.5 will save burning a CD of drivers, or perhaps it is actually part of a grand plan that in 10.5 would let you have the option or running XP and OSX simultaneously. I guess we'll find out in August.

Because they were likely not going to release it on its own.

But with the stock dropping as it has, it was felt that this would give a lift. Hopefully permanently.
  • Reply 197 of 510
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    someone posted a link to El Reg's predictions

After reading it, I'm sort of becoming scared too.

If you can run windows programs on a mac.. why would developers develop mac os x programs?

Also, I'm worried about viruses, like the ones that crept in on OSX when it ran OS 9 as a VM.

Come on, someone afflicted with the RDF please subdue my fears!
  • Reply 198 of 510

Viruses? OS9? What the heck are you talking about??

And no, this has squat all to do with whether or not applications get developed for the Mac. Dual-booting is a pain in the butt. No reasonable user will be happy with it for everyday use. The Register article is making wild leaps of speculation without any basis in reality, and everything hinges on the virtualization technology being offered by Apple. Which it's not. It also assumes that Vista actually *ships*...

I could swear we covered this already in this very thread...
  • Reply 199 of 510
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

someone posted a link to El Reg's predictions

After reading it, I'm sort of becoming scared too.

If you can run windows programs on a mac.. why would developers develop mac os x programs?

It's O.K., don't be scared. Many years ago Apple sold Macs that also had PCs inside them, and that didn't drive the developers away.

I would say there is a small very long-term risk that Mac OS will die out, but what's interesting is that no-one has mentioned that this wouldn't actually lead to Apple's demise. They'd just become another Windows PC manufacturer.

Quote:

Also, I'm worried about viruses

Don't be.

Quote:

like the ones that crept in on OSX when it ran OS 9 as a VM.

?? Which were?
  • Reply 200 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well, it does if resistant is spelled right.

But that still doesn't answer what I asked mel - what the relevance of this to BootCamp is, in his mind.

I'm sorry, I missed that part of your post.

Did you get to read the link?

If you did, then you can see that Apple seems to have intended their machines to boot from either Mac OS, Windows, or Linux.

That tells us that this was planned for quite some time, and that no one should be surprised. That this wasn't just some last minute response, as many seem to think it is.

The release now was surprising, but I think it was done to boost sales for the next quarter, and to boost the stock price, which, while continuing to drop, has just jumped almost 10% today.