Suffice to say Apple actually does a tablet! What will it look like?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    rustedborgrustedborg Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Which niche do you want?

Educational?

How about the MacPad, with a 13.3" widescreen interactive touchscreen LCD display?

Sys Admins? Journalists? Anyone & everyone?

I present the MacPad mini, which is my personal favorite:

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

US$666

I really like the possible specs you've listed ... though I don't care about the built-in iSight camera and it would be nice to have at least one USB port built into the side of the tablet.

I absolutely see a niche for this type of compact, yet useful tablet. If the price was kept under $1000 I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The "niche" is quite simply a general use computer that you can take EVERYWHERE. Notebooks, while portable, are hardly a "take everywhere" computer. I tried taking my notebooks everywhere with me for a while and it just got old. As a result, I'm now less wired than I used to be ... I only use my PowerBook and PC notebook when I'm traveling or want to work in front of the TV. I'd like to have a good computer with me at all times, but I'm not going to haul a notebook around.

Think of the new Apple tablet (if there is one) as a PALM organizer with the power and versatility of an iBook. That type of computer will sell and sell well.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

Are you mad?

the processor - $100

that ram - $500

that chipset - $100

WUSB - um... yer

AirPort + BT- $50

Quad band - um, yer...

iSight - $75

BT headset - $50

hmm $875 + screen touch = $1075 + apple DESIGN = $1200 + apple Profit = $1400

your specs stink toad shit
  • Reply 23 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Easy with the language pal! No need to abuse 'MacRonin'. Go chill out will ya!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Are you mad?

the processor - $100

that ram - $500

that chipset - $100

WUSB - um... yer

AirPort + BT- $50

Quad band - um, yer...

iSight - $75

BT headset - $50

that puts it in the price point of other, more useful, tablets

IMO the market is why Apple hasn't released a PDA/tablet PC
  • Reply 25 of 26
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Are you mad?

the processor - $100

that ram - $500

that chipset - $100

WUSB - um... yer

AirPort + BT- $50

Quad band - um, yer...

iSight - $75

BT headset - $50

First, when one buys in bulk (kind of like what happens when Apple locks up the next few years or so of total FlashRAM production from a few companies?) one gets lower component pricing? Intel would give Apple some great CPU/chipset prices to push the UMPC market? Same for the Main Logic Board which would probably source from Intel also?

Second, yes, maybe the quad-band & WUSB are a bit much, but one can dream? Besides, within five years those specs would be considered weak?

Finally, I would hope the "toad shit" comment was referring to the level of stink that you gave my specs? Because I would HATE to think that you were lashing out and referring to my personage as "toad shit"?

:^[
  • Reply 26 of 26
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

that puts it in the price point of other, more useful, tablets

IMO the market is why Apple hasn't released a PDA/tablet PC

I think Apple should make the three different models as I outlined as loss-leaders?

Because the profit could come from the Apple-branded docking (PowerBook Duo-esque) stations, additional display & peripherals?

MacPad mini - US$666

MacPad - US$999

MacPad Pro - US$1699

Docking station w/Optical & asst. HDDs - US$299 to US$999

Say anywhere from an extra 160GB HDD to a pair of RAID-ified 500GB HDDs? From a standard Combo drive to a Blu-Ray drive?

Apple displays - same US$ as they ever were?

Apple wired or wireless keyboards & mice, same US$ as they ever were?

Docking station would mount the MacPad product similar to the Wacom Cintiq units? But that would require an exposed port? Which is why I spec'ed Wireless USB? No hole in the unit chassis?

My concession to that would be to use an ExpressCard/34 slot for a slide-in interface? Which could also cover any needed external port? Need some 'real' USB ports, use the dual USB port ExpressCard/34 card? Need Quad-band cell capabilities, slide in the ExpressCard/34 card? Etc. ?

I don't know, I'll let Apple engineers work out the finer details? Just as long as they know where to send the check?

The tablets are the hook, the extras are the profit?

Sweet!