How many of you will or would install Windows on your Mac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by MovieCutter

Already did. To play:

Battlefront 2

Empire at War

Godfather

TombRaider Legend

Call of Duty 2

and all my old school PC games...all of which run beautifully. My MacBook Pro is the fastest Windows machine I've ever used.

Battlefront 2... OK, kinda fun...

Tomb Raider Legend ... Just started playing it... on my PC

Empire at War... somehow I just don't have the IQ to know what the hell is going on!!

Old School : scumm vm . 'nuff said. Indiana Jones 4 [fate of atlantis] was surprisingly bloody good.

http://www.scummvm.org/
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by MovieCutter

Already did. To play:

Battlefront 2

Empire at War

Godfather

TombRaider Legend

Call of Duty 2

and all my old school PC games...all of which run beautifully. My MacBook Pro is the fastest Windows machine I've ever used.

Battlefront 2... OK, kinda fun...

Tomb Raider Legend ... Just started playing it... on my PC

Empire at War... somehow I just don't have the IQ to know what the hell is going on!!

Old School : scumm vm . 'nuff said. Indiana Jones 4 [fate of atlantis] was surprisingly bloody good.

http://www.scummvm.org/

I already use ScummVM to play Day of the Tentable, Monkey Island 1-3, Fate of Atlantis (SO AWESOME), but I'm primarily talking about Age of Empires 1+Rise of Rome, and the Star Wars X-Wing and Tie Fighter series...Shadows of the Empire, Force Commander, GTA III, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    No need to. I will not infect my iMac with Windows. There is a reason why I moved to Macs and I'm happy with Mac OS.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    i tried twice so i could play counter strike, half life 2, age of empires 3, and PC warcraft and stracraft, which i have for mac anyway, and since my friend lent me windows xp sp2, i did everything by the book, and it took over my computer. windows got rid of the other partition. and now i find out that the windows disk he gave me isn't sp anything.. ill wait till its part of leopard..
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Originally posted by nostyleart

i tried twice so i could play counter strike, half life 2, age of empires 3, and PC warcraft and stracraft, which i have for mac anyway, and since my friend lent me windows xp sp2, i did everything by the book, and it took over my computer. windows got rid of the other partition. and now i find out that the windows disk he gave me isn't sp anything.. ill wait till its part of leopard..

OUCH.... Clear proof that Windows is one big virus. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Maybe try again with something you know FOR SURE is XP2? Half Life 2 is well worth the trouble, IMHO, believe me.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I would because quick books for macs sucks. My boss just got a macbook because he feels like he needs to learn OSX. He's a diehard pc guy who really knows that platform well and got XP up and running on his mac without any problems besides having to remap a key on the keyboard. I was pretty impressed with how well XP ran on his machine.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Yes. Just for gaming which is the only thing a Windoze PC is better at than a Mac. Bootcamp here I come!!!
  • Reply 28 of 38
    LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth 2 is a pretty nice game ... Not too complex yet has wide range of interesting elements, fluid, intuitive interface, some pretty graphics depending on how good your graphics card is (should run nice at Medium settings on your Intel Mac x1600s). Put it on your BootCamp list

The campaign mode is very short though (the Good side campaign is only like 8 missions). However the "skirmish" mode lets you try a whole bunch of different army styles (Elves, Men, Dwarves, or Isengard, Mordor, etc) and wide range of maps (Mordor, Mt Doom, Minas Tirith, etc...)
  • Reply 29 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,347moderator
    I would rather use virtualization but it would probably need to run graphics well. A classic style environment for Windows would be great because classic supports good hardware acceleration. I really wouldn't want to dual boot as I like to share files between Mac and Windows processes and I don't want to give Windows the honour of having its own partition - a deletable, resizable drive image is better.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I used Parallels to install XP on my new iMac. It felt dirty, but now I don't have to buy another version of QuickBooks or buy Dreamweaver.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Originally posted by Guartho

I used Parallels to install XP on my new iMac. It felt dirty, but now I don't have to buy another version of QuickBooks or buy Dreamweaver.

Cool 8) As I understand it the graphics are not virtualized yet (access to GPU that is). How is the graphics performance and snappiness running QuickBooks and particularly Dreamweaver in Parallels? Also, was it hard to set up the Network thingy so you can share files between the Windows session and Mac OS X?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Well... it's snappier than any other Windows computer I've used, but I think the fastest I've used was a PIV 2.something with 384 megs of RAM on a laptop HD.

I haven't put QuickBooks on it yet as my partner wants to get the books straightened out before moving them off of his laptop.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer, but I don't have Dreamweaver. I use MS Visual Web Developer Express as it's free and lets me edit the HTML, unlike iWeb. It was quite an annoying deficiency to discover when I was trying to put PayPal shopping cart buttons on my site by the next day. A friend with bootleg FrontPage saved me that time, but I wanted a permanent, legit solution.

It was easy to setup the network. I don't remember any hiccups there. I made an alias to the PC shared folder on my OSX desktop.

I have 1.5 gigs o' Ram in my iMac so I allocated a full 512 to Windows.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Cool sounds like Parallels is on the march and becoming really quite viable. Quite a bit of buzz about it all over the Mac world. Sandboxed Windows is
  • Reply 34 of 38

...I use MS Visual Web Developer Express...

Heh. Any web designer primarily using Dreamweaver would throw up at the sound of "MS Visual Web Developer Express"... No offense Also FrontPage is the work of the Devil, I tell ya!!
  • Reply 35 of 38
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

AutoCad

I installed Windows XP Pro on my new MBP 2 GHz three days after I got it.

AutoCad
  • Reply 36 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

...I use MS Visual Web Developer Express...

Heh. Any web designer primarily using Dreamweaver would throw up at the sound of "MS Visual Web Developer Express"... No offense Also FrontPage is the work of the Devil, I tell ya!!

I've found that I'm using the features of Dreamweaver that make it Dreamweaver less and less. It's so much more efficient to code the stuff with the assistance of a few common snippets.

I'll definitely be installing Windows on my Mac Pro for Unreal Tournament 2007 and its modding suite:

screenshot 1

screenshot 2

screenshot 3
  • Reply 37 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    bootcamp for games.

that's it.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes. ArcGIS. Hey progmac what do you do with GIS? PM me.