Apple offers developers Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard teaser

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week emailed to its Mac OS X developers and posted to its Web site details of the upcoming Apple World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC), which the company says will offer developers the first glimpse of its next generation operating system, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Although Apple chief executive Steve Jobs had previously indicated that WWDC 2006 would revolve around the major OS upgrade, the company failed to mention Leopard in its WWDC materials until earlier in the week.

An e-mail sent to Mac OS X developers on Monday evening teased, "See Leopard before it leaps into action. Preview Mac OS X Leopard at WWDC."

"At WWDC, you'll get a special sneak preview of Leopard, Apple's next major release of Mac OS X," the email continued. "You'll also find five session tracks full of hands-on labs and in-depth technical presentations?along with unprecedented access to Apple engineers. Reserve your spot today."

Unlike previous years, where Apple listed detailed information for each WWDC conference session on its developer site, this year's online WWDC preview is so far less specific.

Instead of breaking down the more than 120 planned session with individual descriptions, Apple instead lists brief overviews of five core session categories, which include: Application Technologies, Development Tools, Graphics and Media, Information Technologies, and OS Foundations.

As in previous years, Mac OS X Developers who attend the conference are expected to receive a pre-release copy of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on DVD, along with a new version of Apple's Xcode developer tools.

Early registration for the show runs through June 23 and offers developers a $300 discount on all packages.

Apple is also offering two additional promotions: a WWDC 2006 E-ticket and ADC Select Membership for $2000 ($100 discount) and WWDC 2006 E-ticket 5-pack for $6,380 ("buy four, get a fifth free"). During early registration, these packages are discounted by $300 and $1,200, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    I don't know why Apple can't get more specific at this point in time. They must know that it's way too late for MS, even if they did want to, to "steal" any features for Vista.

It would be nice to have some idea of what's to come. I'm sure that developers feel the same way.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    April

1st Tuesday

- BootCamp

2nd Tuesday

- Aperture 1.1

3rd Tuesday

- WWDC announcements

4th Tuesday

- MacBook?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

April

1st Tuesday

- BootCamp

2nd Tuesday

- Aperture 1.1

3rd Tuesday

- WWDC announcements

4th Tuesday

- MacBook?

Your post shows the problem. While I think that you were trying to show the opposite, you illustrated my point.

Apple is telling nothing at all.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I don't know why Apple can't get more specific at this point in time. *snip* It would be nice to have some idea of what's to come. I'm sure that developers feel the same way.

Oh, well then... Please let me be the first to welcome into the Apple discussion community. After a few years you'll get the hang of how things work at Apple.

Kinda reminds me of a movie title.

"Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb"

"The Steve'd One: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Apple"

Dave

P.S. And thats how they ALWAYS will work so long as Steve's in charge.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Oh, well then... Welcome to the Apple community. After a few years you'll get the hang of things.

Dave

I've been a member of the Mac community ever since I started buying them for my company in the late '80's.

Apple wasn't always like this. Since you are a newer member of the Mac community than I am, you don't remember.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    It seems obvious that Apple's deliberate vagueness means that Leopard will have some very nice additions/changes than what we see in Tiger and that they want to keep these under a tight lid.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

That movie was a Stanley Kubrick film - not Woody Allen...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Oh, well then... Please let me be the first to welcome into the Apple discussion community. After a few years you'll get the hang of how things work at Apple.

Kinda reminds me of a Woody Allen movie title.

"Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb"

"The Steve'd One: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Apple"

Dave

P.S. And how they ALWAYS will work so long as Steve's in charge.

There are so many things wrong with this post...
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

I've been a member of the Mac community ever since I started buying them for my company in the late '80's. Apple wasn't always like this. Since you are a newer member of the Mac community than I am, you don't remember.

This is an pissing war you're not likely to win.

- I've been buying Macs for the institute I work since 'The Fat Mac' - 512K in all it's glory - Yum yum!

- Apple Not Secretive? We're talking about the same company right??

A quote from MacWorld's From Apple II to iPod--Apple turns 30

Quote:

Apple, at least under Jobs, has toiled away at products in secret, handling the hardware and software itself and unveiling its work only when ready--then returning to its secluded confines

Now a little Apple management history for ya.

1976 - Woz and Jobs form Apple

1983 - Jobs ask Sculley to become CEO

1885 - Jobs and Scully fallout Jobs gone.

1993 - Scully fired by the board and Spindler takes his turn at the wheel.

1996 - Pretty short trip and Spindler exits stage left and the "fifth beetle" Amelio joins the band his short stint.

1997 - Jobs comes home to clean house.

So while Jobs has been 'in da house' The Apple motto has and will always be 'loose lips get drawn and quartered but not before being Anally Abused by our team of lawyers tough enough to even make an innocent eight year old girl run from the room crying her eyes out'(*) - As for Scully he wasn't as tight lipped as Steve (for sure) but he did come from Pepsi after all, and I'm sure knew the value of keeping something secret 'for completive reasons' better than most - Spindler, he was an Apple vet from the early 80's and while I don't remember for sure I think he too was mostly tight lipped. As for Gill I don't think he even knew exactly WHAT Apple was up to - Just a placeholder till the board had enough testicular fortitude (aka BALLS) to plead with Steve for him to 'come back home - we R-E-A-L-L-Y miss ya little buddy'.

(*) Oh, yea, and as company mottos go that one is kinda on the long side but if you got a problem with it YOU take it up with His Steveness! Cause I sure wont!

So I'll say it again... Welcome to the Apple Community. Oh and BTW, at first that was just me being my SARCASTIC self (imagine that!)... Since after all I though to myself you'd have to be either an an idiot or total noob to not to know how Apple 'present day' deals with doling out unannounced / prerelease information.

And finally before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusions... It was not and is not my intent to say YOU were being an Idiot - I was simply saying that in 'general terms' about 'people in general' who'd be 'shocked' that Steve / Apple was being greedy with the details about unannounced products and features.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by cmatech

"Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

That movie was a Stanley Kubrick film - not Woody Allen...

Thanks for the correction... Duly noted and corrected for what it's worth.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

There are so many things wrong with this post...

Other than the mis-credited movie.. What else was wrong with my post.

- Reminding people that Apple is a SECRETIVE company?

- Telling people they shouldn't be SHOCKED by this fact?

- Telling people that this isn't likely to change

Oh or could it have been the sarcastic tone of the post?

Well sorry but yea I guess I was being a bit sarcastic. After all, anyone with over three thousand posts and more than a two year history on the AI forums SHOULD NOT need to be told these COMMON and WELL KNOWN facts nor should they be SURPRISED that Apple was doing it again.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubert

It seems obvious that Apple's deliberate vagueness means that Leopard will have some very nice additions/changes than what we see in Tiger and that they want to keep these under a tight lid.

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

There's one big reason for secretiveness. Its so you don't MS yourself. That is, you don't come out, chant "Our next OS is going to have this, this, this, this, and that. And it'll be great!" then find out its going to take you 5 years to get all that right and done.

So Apple does the opposite. They work on tons of stuff, not telling anyone. Then they just announce that which they know will fit 6 months to a year from now. Even then, some things just get shown the door, never to be seen (Quartz 2D extreme comes to mind).

I just hope they don't just try rushing this crap out before its actually ready. And I'm not talking 100% bug free. I'm talking their usual slap together a new feature, then forget half (if not more) of the management routines or like. Take Dashboard (please!). Completely lacked a way to disable/remove a widget. Or ACLs (added but not accessible through an interface). Or Spotlight (no way to disable, no way to force a re-index, let alone its insepid let's index stuff they said not to!).

I guess I'm weird, but I just prefer a stable OS over fancy new features. I think a lot are like me, since a lot of people always say "I won't be upgrading until at least the third maintenance update").
  • Reply 13 of 44
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Or ACLs (added but not accessible through an interface).

The interface exists, in OS X Server. It wasn't deemed relevant enough for inclusion in OS X Client. Which for most users is quite true.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

- I've been buying Macs for the institute I work since 'The Fat Mac' - 512K in all it's glory - Yum yum!

Aargh, don't antagonise the mighty Melgross!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

- Apple Not Secretive? We're talking about the same company right??

A quote from MacWorld's From Apple II to iPod--Apple turns 30

1996 - Pretty short trip and Spindler exits stage left and the "fifth beetle" Amelio joins the band his short stint.

So while Jobs has been 'in da house' The Apple motto has and will always be 'loose lips get drawn and quartered but not before being Anally Abused by our team of lawyers tough enough to even make an innocent eight year old girl run from the room crying her eyes out'(*) - As for Scully he wasn't as tight lipped as Steve (for sure) but he did come from Pepsi after all, and I'm sure knew the value of keeping something secret 'for completive reasons' better than most - Spindler, he was an Apple vet from the early 80's and while I don't remember for sure I think he too was mostly tight lipped. As for Gill I don't think he even knew exactly WHAT Apple was up to - Just a placeholder till the board had enough testicular fortitude (aka BALLS) to plead with Steve for him to 'come back home - we R-E-A-L-L-Y miss ya little buddy'.

(*) Oh, yea, and as company mottos go that one is kinda on the long side but if you got a problem with it YOU take it up with His Steveness! Cause I sure wont!

So I'll say it again... Welcome to the Apple Community. Oh and BTW, at first that was just me being my SARCASTIC self (imagine that!)... Since after all I though to myself you'd have to be either an an idiot or total noob to not to know how Apple 'present day' deals with doling out unannounced / prerelease information.

And finally before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusions... It was not and is not my intent to say YOU were being an Idiot - I was simply saying that in 'general terms' about 'people in general' who'd be 'shocked' that Steve / Apple was being greedy with the details about unannounced products and features.

Dave

Well, 'im not going to piss on you, because ther's no point.

But, you arew still wrong.

When Copeland was under developement, Apple showed it around for several years as they were working on it.

In fact, they came to my Macusers group here in NYC several times to demonstrate the various components they were working on.

We knew plenty in those days.

The one thing I agree with is that when Jobs came back, his paranoia enveloped the company.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Apple has often, if not always, introduced the next OS X version at the WWDC. This is nothing new. I remember frantically typing notes into the Mac forum at DSLR from the audience at the Jagwyre WWDC. This was the first time that any features of the OS had been revealed.

That was before they started cutting off the WiFi in the auditorium during the keynote.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    bengt77bengt77 Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Darn, that's a long time ago then, that fallout.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

When Copeland was under developement, Apple showed it around for several years as they were working on it.

Probably the best reasoning I've seen yet for keeping things under wraps.

Seriously, look at what the Copland debacle did - people kept waiting for it, and waiting for it, and waiting for it... and then nothing. Apple looked incompetent, they lost many sales in the meantime, and then in the end result, had nothing but egg on their face. (To say nothing of the bludgeoning they took on Wall Street.)

Vista, anyone?

MUCH better IMO to just keep quiet until things are going well, and you can then promise things you already are pretty darned sure are deliverable, instead of promising the moon, and delivering dog poo. (Again, cf. Vista.)

I mean seriously, what do you, personally, need to know about Leopard that would influence your business or personal purchasing? If it's just curiosity, then... naw.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bengt77

Darn, that's a long time ago then, that fallout.

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson DOH!!! Well everyone always said many of the idea Jobs had were ahead of their time... If they only knew, if they only knew...

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson DOH!!! Well everyone always said many of the idea Jobs had were ahead of their time... If they only knew, if they only knew...

Dave

Steve Jobs supplied Brisco County.