2.33GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB memory

120GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon x1800 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

Shipping in May, with price/spec reconfigurations on the 15" models to coincide with the Intel processor price cuts and make the above 17" specs realistically possible. I wouldn't even dare dream of such specs and prices, except that the 17" PowerBook G4 currently comes in at $2,499 and I anticipate Apple would want to keep it that way. If they know what's good for them.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Why not the Radeon x1800?

That'd be cool but I don't see apple using a different gpu in just one machine.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Why $2899? Wishful thinking? Because I think it's almost a certainty that it'll be $2999... And when exactly is Intel planning to deliver those 2.33ghz processors? I wonder if Apple will have the 2.16ghz 17-inch notebooks "shipping now" and then have an option for 2.33ghz that'll ship in "3-4 weeks".

Yeah 2899 might be whishful thinking, but I don't really see it being worth more than that but hey this is apple we're talking about. so your most likely absolutely right.

I posted my price as 2999 in another thread but I thought it was too expensive, but I guess I was wrong in changing it, it'll probably be 2999 - 3299.

Maybe I should edit my post.

And a 2.16 BTO 2.33 would be great, let's hope it happens!
  • Reply 43 of 82
    antianti Posts: 4member
    why not having 1GB of RAM built-in, leaving 2 DIMM slots for expansion?

iBooks have built-in RAM, so why not do this in the pro-line too?

Nobody is running a 17" with less than a GB, but many would like to have more (thinking about virtualization, J2EE clusters and other memory eating apps)
  • Reply 44 of 82
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

If they know what's good for them.

• Reply 45 of 82
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Why not the Radeon x1800?

Oooh yeah, but with them underclocking the X1600 for heat reasons I doubt it. I personally would like to see the Mobility FireGL V5200 card as an option.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    My guess is the new 17" will support 1920x1080 resolution in order to please the Final Cut crowd. This machine will rock with the ability to do HD in 1080p.

I'd love to see it at $2499 too but I don't think Apple is ready to drop the prices on the 15" yet. My guess is $2999. Although with a Developers discount, it could come in at $2499. Then it will be very tempting.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Sounds to me like he choses dial-up when there really is an alternative. It costs more to shut off the analog video feed anyway. Basic cable generally only pays for the upkeep of the lines and delivery system.

Well it really has more to do with business trips to rural areas, and/or vacationers who have to do limited system administration work while traveling. If you're just using your laptop at home, well first off, I wouldn't even buy a laptop, and second, you could just leave the modem hooked up where you need it ... or buy an AirPort with a built-in modem.

Seriously though, for a high-end business computer meant for travel, to charge upwards of $3000 for a computer and not include a modem is absurd. I think any of the numerous people who have forgotten to take their DVI to VGA adapter with them when they need to make a presentation can see how ridiculous of a poor design from Apple this is.

I've pretty much already decided that I'm going to "upgrade" to one of my colleague's slightly newer PowerPC Powerbook when she leaves for a new job in a couple of months rather than get a new Intel Powerbook because of this. I sure as hell don't want to be running around some unfamiliar town trying to find an OS X compatible USB modem (which is probably just as scarce as WiFi in some places), just because Apple is too stupid and/or cheap to put a $10 piece of hardware in a $2000-$3000 computer.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jocknerd

My guess is the new 17" will support 1920x1080 resolution in order to please the Final Cut crowd.

Oh that would be awesome but highly doubtfull, with the current 15" using a paltry 1440 by 900 Rez for such a big screen Apple we'll probably continue the el-cheapo way and just give us 1680 by 1050, wait I take it back they'll probably drop 50 pixels for good measure like the 15".
  • Reply 49 of 82
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Flash memory solid state disks would help a lot. Genrally they do cost quite a bit more, so if anything it would be an option. Normally comparable sized flash SSDs pull around 95% less power than the comparable had drive, and are around twice as fast.

I do not see two hard drives in a 17" unless they make it much bigger. I do not know where people get the info there is extra space in the current 17"s Ive taken a few apart and there isnt.

also whoever listed prices at $300 more to jump from a x1600 to a x1800 with a 2.16 to a 2.33 would not work, as the price differences for the processor alone from intel would be close to 300
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Apple's been fixing the MacBooks that are experiencing these problems.

Apple has been fixing computers with LCD noise. As far as I know, they haven't been fixing machines with the cpu noise yet. I don't think they've even admitted to the problem. Same with the heat problem, no repairs for it but some people have managed to get cooler ones when they had their machine replaced.

New MPB's shipping now vary as well, some are quiet and cool while others still have the noise and heat problems. It's WAY premature to call the problem solved.

Check out:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/macb...se-complaints/

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I'm pretty sure the person you are quoting meant problems that haven't been resolved. People have been getting replacements for the machines that had problems.

Some people have had replacements for some problems. There are still many people who are waiting for solutions.

Quote:

Originally posted by jocknerd I'd love to see it at $2499 too but I don't think Apple is ready to drop the prices on the 15" yet.

I keep seeing references to the 15" costing $2499 but I don't get it. The 15" starts at $1999, same as before. If the 15 can stay at the same price, why would they have to raise prices on the 17?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

I've pretty much already decided that I'm going to "upgrade" to one of my colleague's slightly newer PowerPC Powerbook when she leaves for a new job in a couple of months rather than get a new Intel Powerbook because of this. I sure as hell don't want to be running around some unfamiliar town trying to find an OS X compatible USB modem (which is probably just as scarce as WiFi in some places), just because Apple is too stupid and/or cheap to put a $10 piece of hardware in a $2000-$3000 computer.

Are you serious? You'd get a practically obsolete computer because of a modem? .... are you all talk?

Apple provides a modem for those who need it for 49 bucks. Yah, its pricy, but if you can afford a MBP you can probably afford the extra 50 bucks.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.25.7.11.0.3

But, I'm betting the MacBooks probably won't have a built in modem either.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

Flash memory solid state disks would help a lot. Genrally they do cost quite a bit more, so if anything it would be an option. Normally comparable sized flash SSDs pull around 95% less power than the comparable had drive, and are around twice as fast.

It could be an option, but last I heard, the base price of that option was $1200 or so for something less than 20GB. It was a "drive" form factor but I don't remember if that was a server or laptop drive size.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:

I'm hoping for:

$2499 MacBook Pro

17" Widescreen 1680x1050

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB memory

120GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$2799 MacBook Pro

17" Widescreen 1680x1050

2.33GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB memory

120GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon x1800 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

While I think you have almost everything right the 17" MacBook Pro's will have 1GB of Ram... my reason is if the 15" 2.0GHz version has 1GB of Ram I really doubt that Apple would downgrade the Ram compared to that model.

Quote:

MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache (1)

667MHz frontside bus

1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

also whoever listed prices at $300 more to jump from a x1600 to a x1800 with a 2.16 to a 2.33 would not work, as the price differences for the processor alone from intel would be close to 300

Well intel is about to cut prices on all there chips so perhaps Apple has already gotten the discount for the 2.33GHz chip. Plus I think that even if the 17" model doesn't have the x1800 it could be a BTO.

just my opinion.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Darth_Apple, I'm kind of thinking Apple will downgrade/reduce the price of the $2,499 15" MacBook Pro to make room for a 17" in the $2,499 price slot. The current 15" MacBook Pro is just an upgraded model for the sake of offering the 2Ghz Core Duo chip anyhow, with 1GB of RAM thrown in to help justify the cost. In conjunction with Intel's price cuts, I think we'll see a MacBook Pro line-up like this:

$1,999

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache

667MHz frontside bus

512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

$2,299

2.1GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache

667MHz frontside bus

100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

$2,499

17-inch TFT display with 1680x1050 resolution

2.1GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache

667MHz frontside bus

120GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

2.33Ghz Core Duo offered as a BTO option, or they'll have a 2nd 17" model for $2,799 with it standard. ATI x1800 might be standard or BTO as well. But all of this is based on what the 17" MacBook Pro should cost, not necessarily what Apple will charge for it. I'm quite perplexed as to how they can introduce a 17" MacBook Pro next week and start taking orders for it at a price point that should change in May when Intel's price cuts occur. I guess they could take orders for a $2,799 model with a 2.1Ghz and ship them in May with a 2.33Ghz for the same price, as they did with the 15" MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

Darth_Apple, I'm kind of thinking Apple will downgrade/reduce the price of the $2,499 15" MacBook Pro to make room for a 17" in the $2,499 price slot.

Cory I don't see the prices going that low. The last pb revision was 2499 because all they changed was the display, it was just a price drop.

The 17" revision before that(which was actually an upgrade not just a screen upgrade) was 2699.

I really do believe the 17" will have to be a minimum of 2899 and that for apple would be pushing it.

Giving the current 15" the specs of your 17" makes it 2899 and that's 3 inches smaller.

Since they're most likely not doing a 12-13.3" macbook pro they're going to keep the 3 models 2 15" configs and 1 17".

They don't sell enough 17's to justify more than one model.

The 17" will probably be exactly like I outlined before:

Quote:

$2899 MacBook Pro

17" Widescreen

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

1GB memory

120GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

But BTOed up it will be max 3200 once you add the 2.33ghz proc they'll add.

Having 3 macbook pro models almost makes me certain they're will be 3 macbook models.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

I sure as hell don't want to be running around some unfamiliar town trying to find an OS X compatible USB modem (which is probably just as scarce as WiFi in some places), just because Apple is too stupid and/or cheap to put a $10 piece of hardware in a $2000-$3000 computer.

Just get the 50 dollar apple modem dongle and throw it in your travel bag.

When you get to your hotel just connect it to your phone line once and leave it there for your entire stay even if you take your computer away from it during the day or something just leave attached to the line on your desk.

And don't make excuses about loosing or forgetting it because people can loose or forget anything (toothbrush, razor, cell phone, etc.) when they're on a trip, a modem isn't so much more "loosable" than anyting else, just make sure to double check your stuff when leaving a place.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cedd

"next month" for the MacBook? 1 / 2 May is OK - 30 / 31 May would be annoying in the extreme...

I agree!! I've been putting off buying an apple for 2 months now because of these "rumours" about the 13" MacBook coming out soon. Bring on the 13" before the 17".
  • Reply 58 of 82
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

The 17" will probably be exactly like I outlined before:

$2899 MacBook Pro

17" Widescreen

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

1GB memory

120GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

But BTOed up it will be max 3200 once you add the 2.33ghz proc they'll add.

Ecking, I guess it depends on how much of a premium Apple expects for a 17" over a 15". I'd like to think that with the Intel price cuts we'd be able to get a 17" MacBook Pro with a 2.33Ghz Core Duo for just under $3k, but perhaps not. Your $2,899 could be viewed as a $400 price increase over the current PowerPC 17" PowerBook - the $2,499 price on the current 17" is really the only reason I doubt your prices.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I am excite about the prospect of a 17" MacBook Pro. But here is my question.

Would PROFESSIONALS jump to buy it now?

Without major applications native to Intel it seems hard to think people who REALLY depend on After Effects and Photoshop and people who need to spend extra money to update their Final Cut Studio applications will get this machine soon.

I for one would rather wait and have all the apps that I need for my work Intel native to finally consider such laptop.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Ecking, I guess it depends on how much of a premium Apple expects for a 17" over a 15". I'd like to think that with the Intel price cuts we'd be able to get a 17" MacBook Pro with a 2.33Ghz Core Duo for just under $3k, but perhaps not. Your $2,899 could be viewed as a $400 price increase over the current PowerPC 17" PowerBook - the $2,499 price on the current 17" is really the only reason I doubt your prices.

Keep in mind that even with the Intel price cuts, Apple's likely (I don't recall the exact numbers that came up) paying more per chip than it was for the (outdated) G4 chips from Freescale.

About a $400 price increase compared to the current 17" PowerBook: Apple's marketing has (will) position these new MackBooks as far superior to the PowerBook G4--as has been evident from their "2-4x faster" deal with the current lineup of Intel products. Apple will position the 17" MBP in such a way that the 17" PowerBook just isn't comparable.