Apple releases Aperture 1.1

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 136
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,664member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Oh yes...you're spot on.



    I too am curious...how many people here have been around in those days.



    I managed to snag the name after the AI boards went back online and were completely reset.




    heh. I was but a wee lurker back then-- but it was the drama of insider info, ala "worker bee" that kept me coming back, eventually to become the cranky, ill-informed member of our community that I am today.



    Alas, the new Apple of airtight security makes for less fun come product rollout time, although of course I always enjoy the elaborate fakes.



    Still, I miss refreshing my browser every ten seconds on the night before MacWorld, on the off-chance somebody spilled some beans (mmmm Canadian Time).
  • Reply 102 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,091member
    I assume that this has been seen?



    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604aperture.html
  • Reply 103 of 136
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,835member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    I assume that this has been seen?



    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604aperture.html




    WOW.



    Okay, the options I can see are:



    1) Aperture has served its purpose, by scaring the daylights out of Adobe.

    2) Aperture is being completely re-written by another team.

    3) Aperture team was heavily downsized, as the app needed more resources for startup, but not as much to maintain.

    4) Think Secret is being fed misinformation.



    No. 1. is unlikely, since Apple wouldn't tread on Adobe's turf without resolving to see the matter through.



    No 2. is plausible, but one would think Steve would have approved the rewrite before allowing the app to be released.



    No. 3 is also plausible. Filemaker 7's team was disbanded after the product was completely rewritten. There were similar rumors of Apple killing the app, which did not materialize and a new version 8 has kept the product moving forward.



    With Apple, No. 4. is always a possibility.
  • Reply 104 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,091member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    WOW.



    Okay, the options I can see are:



    1) Aperture has served its purpose, by scaring the daylights out of Adobe.

    2) Aperture is being completely re-written by another team.

    3) Aperture team was heavily downsized, as the app needed more resources for startup, but not as much to maintain.

    4) Think Secret is being fed misinformation.



    No. 1. is unlikely, since Apple wouldn't tread on Adobe's turf without resolving to see the matter through.



    No 2. is plausible, but one would think Steve would have approved the rewrite before allowing the app to be released.



    No. 3 is also plausible. Filemaker 7's team was disbanded after the product was completely rewritten. There were similar rumors of Apple killing the app, which did not materialize and a new version 8 has kept the product moving forward.



    With Apple, No. 4. is always a possibility.




    I also agree that 1 is a no go.



    2 is basically what Thinksecret said happened.



    3 could be possible, but with so many problems, and now that Adobe has weighed in, this isn't likely.



    4 is very unlikely. The truth of this will be seen shortly anyway.
  • Reply 105 of 136
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I'd take anything ThinkSecret publishes with a grain of salt. Its track record in the last 2 years has been, how should I say, terrible at best.
  • Reply 106 of 136
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I am on board with #2.



    The original team Fsked up the app. It looks nice but needs some serious work in order to compete in the years to come. Putting the Motion and Shake teams on it was probably a good idea. These guys know the elaborate tricks and code mojo to get the app to really shine. Pro app team doing the pro app thing for Aperture.



    I don't think Apple will kill off a promising new software release shortly after its release. It would create too much animosity with the pro photo crowd.



    Also, Apple is pushing the 17" promac with images of Aperture.



    No, I think this is just a team shuffle now that it is out the door.
  • Reply 107 of 136
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I haven't had any major bugs with it (but I haven't used it incredibly long yet). This is an interesting move by Apple. What if Microsoft did the same thing to its engineers who produced messed up software?





    Seriously, the only thing that's bugging me about aperture isn't a bug, but the lack of a feature almost all other RAW editors have. Pre-set lighting options. I went to a wedding and took a bunch of pictures in RAW, but my white balance was off. Now all of my pictures are horribly yellow/oarnge. I can adjust them myself, but none of my adjustments look as good as what my dad's program can do automatically.



    I may have to start opening the images in Bridge and then move them to Aperture *ugh*
  • Reply 108 of 136
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    I don't think it's such a big deal. The big company Apple has become, it would only be surprising *not* to have a screwup once in a while. They had a team that didn't work well, they changed it, next ...



    Good managment should do that.



    MS doesn't.
  • Reply 109 of 136
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    This is likely a non-story. Engineering teams are regularly broken up and re-assigned after the initial objective is achieved. Aperture 1.1 represents that objective. The development objectives for Aperture now change.



    The guff about poor design is rubbish.
  • Reply 110 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,091member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    I'd take anything ThinkSecret publishes with a grain of salt. Its track record in the last 2 years has been, how should I say, terrible at best.



    It's interesting that you say that, because every time they predict something good, people here are pointing out how often they have been RIGHT. Like, they are the most reliable of all the rumors sites.



    But, when they post something that comes across as negative, then it's said that they are inaccurate.



    It can't be both. They are being sued by Apple for a reason.
  • Reply 111 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,091member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by vinney57

    This is likely a non-story. Engineering teams are regularly broken up and re-assigned after the initial objective is achieved. Aperture 1.1 represents that objective. The development objectives for Aperture now change.



    The guff about poor design is rubbish.




    So then, you can say with authority that the underlying code is just fine? Because, that's what they are talking about. So, unless you have de-compiled it, you can't say. Can you?
  • Reply 112 of 136
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It's interesting that you say that, because every time they predict something good, people here are pointing out how often they have been RIGHT. Like, they are the most reliable of all the rumors sites.



    But, when they post something that comes across as negative, then it's said that they are inaccurate.



    It can't be both. They are being sued by Apple for a reason.




    In my opinion, while I don't think their accuracy has been terrible, since they were sued by apple it's certainly suffered. Prior to that I thought they were far and away the most accurate rumor site.
  • Reply 113 of 136
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 565member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Flounder

    In my opinion, while I don't think their accuracy has been terrible, since they were sued by apple it's certainly suffered. Prior to that I thought they were far and away the most accurate rumor site.



    My thoughts exactly. AppleInsider did a much better job at MWSF06, for example.



    Edit:



    I don't think the UI of Aperture is a problem at all. Sure it could be faster and a little less buggy (white balance was reintroduced as a bug in 1.1 after being fixed in 1.0.1, for example), but the overall look & feel is excellent. It does things right.



    Of course, maybe this enhances my theory that Aperture is just the start of a new suite from Apple. Maybe a new team will coalesce around photo editing, page layout, and design.
  • Reply 114 of 136
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    My guess is that the Aperture team has been moved to a new project...code named Photoshop Killah.
  • Reply 115 of 136
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It's interesting that you say that, because every time they predict something good, people here are pointing out how often they have been RIGHT. Like, they are the most reliable of all the rumors sites.



    But, when they post something that comes across as negative, then it's said that they are inaccurate.



    It can't be both. They are being sued by Apple for a reason.




    That was a while ago...have they predicted anything correctly in the last year or two?



    Not really. I don't know what people are saying about TS but nothing accurate has come out of them in at least a year.



    TS brings you such gems as:



    -Intel iBooks as early as March; UBS: 1GB nano, Apple DVR, Apple cell phone?

    -Final Cut 6 to usher in new video editing era for Apple

    -Keynote Reflections: What we got right, what we missed (and let me remind you...they got almost everything wrong)

    -Road to Expo: Apple's new media experience coming soon (Front Row 2.0? Media-savvy?)

    -EXCLUSIVE: Apple Planning Intel-Ready iBook Debut for January



    ...and countless other pieces that were written while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
  • Reply 116 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,091member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    That was a while ago...have they predicted anything correctly in the last year or two?



    Not really. I don't know what people are saying about TS but nothing accurate has come out of them in at least a year.




    Has ANY rumors site EVER predicted everything correctly?



    Besides, this is not a prediction. It's a statement of what's been going on over a period of the last several months, continuing through to the present.



    That's very different.



    After all, this wouldn't be the first time something like this happened at Apple. The most famous, of course, was the Copeland fiasco. Don't think that just because Jobs in in control, it can't happen again. Remember that he is a marketing person. He knows little about programming. And the program was a disaster when it came out. There isn't any argument about that except for a very few here. Just check out every review of the product.
  • Reply 117 of 136
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    Has ANY rumors site EVER predicted everything correctly?





    Yes...a few do. And ThinkSecret once did. When rumor sites have nothing to say...they don't say anything. ThinkSecret on the other hand is ready to publish anything that drops their way.



    OoooOOOooo...a 'statement'. Is that how it's called nowadays?
  • Reply 118 of 136
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross



    After all, this wouldn't be the first time something like this happened at Apple. The most famous, of course, was the Copeland fiasco. Don't think that just because Jobs in in control, it can't happen again. Remember that he is a marketing person. He knows little about programming. And the program was a disaster when it came out. There isn't any argument about that except for a very few here. Just check out every review of the product.




    It's actually 'Copland'...and that project was started under Amelio's helm (and ended under his control I believe.) Jobs knows enough about programming. He wrote games for Atari ... Breakout being the most famous (although the story is that Woz did most of the work for the circuit board)...still, Jobs isn't a complete idiot when it comes to programming.



    Ok...maybe I'm confused...what is Copeland? And how was there a review of a product that never got released? Perhaps you're refering to a preview in an old MacWorld (or was it MacUser?) magazine.
  • Reply 119 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,091member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    It's actually 'Copland'...and that project was started under Amelio's helm (and ended under his control I believe.) Jobs knows enough about programming. He wrote games for Atari ... Breakout being the most famous (although the story is that Woz did most of the work for the circuit board)...still, Jobs isn't a complete idiot when it comes to programming.



    Ok...maybe I'm confused...what is Copeland? And how was there a review of a product that never got released? Perhaps you're refering to a preview in an old MacWorld (or was it MacUser?) magazine.




    However it's spelled (which really doesn't matter, does it?), it started before Amelio got there. It was a presentation that he asked for when he got to Apple that made him decide to discontinue it.



    Jobs had said that he knows almost nothing about programming. I'm going by that. I could program games for the old Atari in my sleep. Those days of programming ease are long behind us. And Woz did ALL of the electronics.



    I wasn't talking about a review of it. I was talking about the disaster it was. And as for previews, Apple came down to our usergroup and demo'd various portions of it for us, as they did with most of their technologies they were working on ? before they were released!
  • Reply 120 of 136
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    I also agree that 1 is a no go.



    2 is basically what Thinksecret said happened.



    3 could be possible, but with so many problems, and now that Adobe has weighed in, this isn't likely.



    4 is very unlikely. The truth of this will be seen shortly anyway.




    Option 5. Think Secret is spewing horse shit out their ass. They aren't relevant anymore.
Sign In or Register to comment.