Apple launches "Get a Mac" TV campaign

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Nope, that comparison is not fair. What possible benefit does a user get by installing Linux on their iPod? Now consider what possible benefit a user gets by installing Windows XP on their Macs? The latter is far more useful and a strong feature (compatibility with work apps, ability to play PC games, etc.) while the former is just a geeky hack.

Fair enough. I still see why they wouldn't want to advertise Windows in context of ads that otherwise slam Windows.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Chucker

...I still see why they wouldn't want to advertise Windows in context of ads that otherwise slam Windows...

Very true. A bit of a conflict there with "Hey, Windows sucks, but, whatever, hey, you can run it too!!". Currently this conflict is out in plain sight. The TV ads poke light-hearted fun at Windows but on the website http://www.apple.com/getamac/ running Windows is number 6 on the "All those reasons you never bought a Mac? Not true anymore." list.

Mixed messages from what I know are generally not good things in marketing a product or service.

But I can see Apple's challenge and them trying to find and navigate the best way to get the Mac out there. I'm coming round from the "bloody hell why can't Apple ever market the Mac properly !! " to "well, I can see the challenges they face..."
  • Reply 103 of 110
    Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Maybe, but the iBook becomes history in a few days.

Oh Voxy, yes... I want the 13.3" MacBook Core Solo/Duo NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!
  • Reply 104 of 110
    Is that PC guy John Hodgman from the Daily Show?
  • Reply 105 of 110
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guy Fawkes

Is that PC guy John Hodgman from the Daily Show?

Yes.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I had to look it up again, yep you are right 480P is apart of the ATSC spec but not the official HD spec.

Hi def for the web is usually considered to be anything much over 320 x 240. A couple of years ago it WAS considered to be 320 x 240. It has more to do with broadband capability vs dialup, than actual resolution per se.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Sit down, boy!
  • Reply 108 of 110
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Are you poking some fun at me?
  • Reply 109 of 110

Are you poking some fun at me?

No... the iBook has had the longest time between updates at ~290 days. Intel iMac, Mac mini and MacBook Pro 15" + 17" have now been released. For the April-May-June financial quarter Apple needs to have the MacBook out the door to boost their portfolio and get things set up for back-to-school purchases.

It's a pity though that the MacBook Microsoft Office performance will be slow... For most students and other users that would use Microsoft Office and applications like Adobe/Macromedia, ironically they would be better off with the existing old and dated iBook g4.

However, if the user sticks to iLife, Keynote3 and Pages2, Safari, Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight, and 3rd party Universal software, the MacBooks will be sweet sweet sweet. 13.3" wide. HDTV spec 1280x720 smooth fullscreen trailers (even on Core Solo hopefully) and possibly x1300 64mb graphics card, 512mb standard, 5400rpm drives, it's time for the MacBook to be launched and out the door. Coinciding with new iPods would be great too. MacBooks running WinXP - also great for people who want a simple nice laptop that they can run some WinXP stuff they might need for school/work... and also play some games? (at low settings)...

Let's see Apple consolidate their portfolio and have another financial quarter that's the 2nd best ever. (2nd best because the best would still be the Oct-Dec 2005 christmas frenzy quarter). Remember that we are already almost upon the halfway mark for this financial quarter.

One day we'll look back and see the sheer genius that AAPL has handled the Intel transition - maintaining profits and revenue through a potentially confusing and frustrating (for Office and Adobe/Macromedia users) time.

But really, my call is new iPods and new MacBook to consolidate the portfolio and head strongly into WWDC August where Conroe Macs ("Core 2 duo and Core 2 Extreme")* should be launched**.

*http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2170

**My call is Merom (Core 2 duo for laptops) refresh for MacBook and Macbook Pro either September or October
  • Reply 110 of 110
    It just hit me... the MacBook will be fucking PERFECT for students and casual users and small-medium business users.

Boot into WinXP for Microsoft Office and Adobe/Macromedia stuff running at full native speeds* for all their work/study stuff that requires that.

Boot into Mac OS X for entertaining and useful iLife applications and useful Keynote3 and Pages2 apps for those that decide to use that. Plus Dashboard, all the goodness of OS X, organising your life.

Best of both worlds, in a beautiful and rugged laptop. For students, casual users, and small-medium enterprise.

FRACKING EXCELLENT. MacBook out the door to round off a strong portfolio of Mac products, run Windows if you need, dual-boot or virtualized. I'm really jazzed now seeing it all come together clearly. The power users are actually well covered now as well. Universal apps users have MacbookPro on the go and PowerMac g5s back at the studio. Non-universal apps users have PowerMac g5s back at the studio [albeit Rosetta'ed apps on their MacBook Pros]**

*AFAIK this should be the case, do correct me if needed. It just struck me that this would be a great workaround to slow Rosetta'ed Office and Adobe/Macromedia in OS X.

**This is the one main achilles heel of the current Intel transition, however this is a minor segment of the overall Mac market.