Mac OS X 10.4.7 to tackle mail and browser issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thetru7h

remember OS9? (or was is OS8 or system 7?) apple menu -> "about the finder"

Nope; my pre-X Mac OS usage was minimal.

Quote:

Mail is Mail, Safari is Safari but the Finder is the Macintosh Finder

If you say so.

And welcome to the AI Forums.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So we should continue with the belief that the earth is flat, stars are pinpoints in the fabric of the sky, and that the Earth is 6,000 years old all because, at some point, the majority of people thought so?

It's called education. It's a good thing. Wrong is wrong.

It's not convention, it's just silly fear over nothing.

dude, i bet you're also the one going up to 5 year olds telling them santa doesn't exist at christmas time. helio-centric versus geo-cetric galaxy? yeah, that's big, important stuff that should be correct. versioning numbers on software that'll be obsolete in three years anyway? just let us enjoy the nonsensicality of it, wouldja?
  • Reply 43 of 82
    josquinjosquin Posts: 1member
    good thing apple doesn't assign version numbers with the dewey decimal system. if they did, 10.4.10 would come before 10.4.2, and boy, wouldn't that be confusing.

for the record, i think 10.4.10 is an entirely logical and marketable successor to 10.4.9. and if the 9 to 10 version number rollover were so taboo, how does one explain os x? :-)

frankly, i don't care what they call their versions, as long as safari stops eating 1.25 gb of virtual memory even when i have only one simple page open.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So we should continue with the belief that the earth is flat, stars are pinpoints in the fabric of the sky, ...

Damn, I'm not saying I believe that, just pointing out that that's what most people think.

Take any average joe computer user (IOW someone that doesn't come here) and ask him/her what comes after 10.3.9. You'll probably hear "10.4" if they don't say "HUH?"

So yeah, we need to educate people. It's not an issue of fear and it's not anywhere on the same level as the flat/round world issue. Jeez.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc

Because it isn't called "Apple Mail."

It is called AppleMail. Look at the headers it generates sometimes.

It's called Mail in the Finder because having AppleCalculator AppleAddressBook AppleFontBook ApplePreview is just annoying. Remember "Apple System Profiler"?
  • Reply 46 of 82
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Take any average joe computer user (IOW someone that doesn't come here) and ask him/her what comes after 10.3.9. You'll probably hear "10.4" if they don't say "HUH?".

Then he better get back into elementary school because any 5-th grader knows that there can only be one decimal point in a given number. Anyone that doesn't know that is ripe for isolation from the community of citizens until they understand that basic math concept and start applying it to real-word situations.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    rebel_without_a_pc, your nasty remarks are not appreciated.

Knock it off.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    No, and how do I do that?

Thanks ! !
  • Reply 49 of 82
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

No, and how do I do that?

Thanks ! !

Run Disk Utility found in your Utilities folder (when in Finder press CMD-SHIFT-U). Click on Repair Permissions and let it do it's thing.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Thanks Crees.

Wow, got my hopes way up, alas, no luck. Same message. It only shows "On my Mac" for options.

Repairing permissions for ?Macintosh HD?

Determining correct file permissions.

User differs on ./Library/Mail, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Mail

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Mail

User differs on ./Users/.localized, should be 0, owner is 501

Group differs on ./Users/.localized, should be 0, group is 80

Owner and group corrected on ./Users/.localized

Permissions corrected on ./Users/.localized

User differs on ./Users/Shared/.localized, should be 0, owner is 501

Group differs on ./Users/Shared/.localized, should be 0, group is 80

Owner and group corrected on ./Users/Shared/.localized

Permissions corrected on ./Users/Shared/.localized

User differs on ./Users/Shared, should be 0, owner is 501

Group differs on ./Users/Shared, should be 0, group is 80

Owner and group corrected on ./Users/Shared

Permissions corrected on ./Users/Shared

User differs on ./Users, should be 0, owner is 501

Permissions differ on ./Users, should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxrwt

Owner and group corrected on ./Users

Permissions corrected on ./Users

Group differs on ./private/etc/authorization, should be 80, group is 0

Owner and group corrected on ./private/etc/authorization

Permissions corrected on ./private/etc/authorization

Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----

Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

????
  • Reply 51 of 82
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Now it'd be really great if sometime they make spotlight actually WORK. It has decided to not return any results from 95% of words I search for in Mail. This has caused me a LOT of frustration. I'll try reindexing sometime soon and see if that fixes it. It really so far only seems to not work in Mail though...the place I use, or would use, it most. \
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Now it'd be really great if sometime they make spotlight actually WORK. It has decided to not return any results from 95% of words I search for in Mail. This has caused me a LOT of frustration. I'll try reindexing sometime soon and see if that fixes it. It really so far only seems to not work in Mail though...the place I use, or would use, it most. \

I am having a very similar issue in my Mail.app as well. It was working just fine, however I think that the spotlight feature got broken in the 10.4.6 release.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

regarding the not junk thing, here's the solution (i think): basically, apple has relegated most fo the junk/not junk training to its toolbar buttons. so you HAVE to have the junk button as part of your message reading window. then, when you open a message in its own window, the button will VERY subtly change between being labeled "junk" or "not junk" and you HAVE to have text AND icons showing int he toolbar, or else you'd never know, because the button icon itself doesn't change.

it's actually a pretty friggin' bizarre human-interface thing, with the downside that you can very-likely LOSE e-mail if your filter's not behaving properly.

Thanks, but the real problem is that the option to even select junk/not junk is missing. (no brown bag icon/no brown header when the mesage is opened) This is only for a very few messgaes. I get probably 50 junk mails a day for all my addresses and Mail does a very good job sending them to the junk folder, where they get the junk icon etc.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

1) If there's no button, then do it the "hard" way. Just drag the message out of the Junk folder into your regular inbox.

2) You appear to be "special" on this one. My 12 POP accounts all delete from server as specified in the prefs.

1) Even if I drag one these incorectly tagged mails to the normal folder, the next time I get mail from that same person it will still be sent to junk. I've alos added their names/addresses to my Adress book and it doesn't help. They just sem to be black-listed by Mail and there is nothing i can do about it. I've considered reseting Mail back to the default setting and starting the whole thing over, but then i have to eal with all the Junk mail training again.

2) Ah to be special...

Thanks for your reply
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

1) Even if I drag one these incorectly tagged mails to the normal folder, the next time I get mail from that same person it will still be sent to junk. I've alos added their names/addresses to my Adress book and it doesn't help. They just sem to be black-listed by Mail and there is nothing i can do about it. I've considered reseting Mail back to the default setting and starting the whole thing over, but then i have to eal with all the Junk mail training again.

I am going to assume for a minute that you are meaning for those emails to be automatically dropped into some other folder through the use of rules. If that is the case, check your rule for that type of email. It might be that you accidently set it to drop it into the Junk Folder. Since it isn't being "marked" as Junk, that is why you don't have the brown header.

-- UPDATE --

I just got done testing that theory out, and the results match what you are experiencing. I would check your rules.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I certainly hope this report is true. Mail.app has been a drag for the last few dot releases.

It marks most of my sent mail junk. It marks the bulk of my incoming mail junk. If it can't decide what something is, it turns the text white so that it only shows up when I highlight the item. And best of all, if I tell Mail that something is not junk, it only occasionally turns the text black. So I have lots of brown emails and a few invisible ones, all valid.

The sooner they get this crap cleaned up, the better. I've noticed that the less reliable the wireless connection I'm using is, the more freaked out Mail.app gets, so I'm guessing it's usually tested on a big fat wired LAN.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    10.4.7 better include CUPS 1.2 and all the fixes and some functionality that currently only works in OS X.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Can I suggest you change you mail provider to one that runs anti-spam on the server, especially Spam Assassin as Apple Mail understands Spam Assassin headers.

I rarely see spam hit my inbox, and I run a hosting company!
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

I am going to assume for a minute that you are meaning for those emails to be automatically dropped into some other folder through the use of rules. If that is the case, check your rule for that type of email. It might be that you accidently set it to drop it into the Junk Folder. Since it isn't being "marked" as Junk, that is why you don't have the brown header.

-- UPDATE --

I just got done testing that theory out, and the results match what you are experiencing. I would check your rules.

Thanks for your help!

I went and looked through the rules and couldn't find anything that would be causing the behavior. Funny thing is that after doing that, I went to look at my junk folder and a several sets (senders) of old e-mails that had been in my inbox got transfered to the junk. Included was a batch from one of the 'problem senders'. While looking at the rules, all I changed was to delete two old rules that no longer applied, so why should that cause good mail to get transferred? Weird.

My solution for one of the misbehaving senders (a newsletter from some guy) was simple to kill the subsription on my home e-mail account and the re-subscribe on my dotMac account. Now his mails end up in my In Box. I'd be tempted to blame my providers junk mail rules, but the strange behavior also happens with a couple of senders on my work e-mail.

Currently my best solution is to look through the junk folder and focus on e-mails with no junk icon and make sure they belong there. not the end of the world, just annoying.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Can I suggest you change you mail provider to one that runs anti-spam on the server, especially Spam Assassin as Apple Mail understands Spam Assassin headers.

I rarely see spam hit my inbox, and I run a hosting company!

The odd behavior I was trying to describe was mail, form senders in my address book, going to junk mail, not the other way around.