What's up with the glossy Macbook screen?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    If one does not like the glossy effect, is there any way one can one mute the effect to give the matte finish?
  • Reply 22 of 75
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

If one does not like the glossy effect, is there any way one can one mute the effect to give the matte finish?

run it up and down this baby a few times:

• Reply 23 of 75
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

• Reply 24 of 75
    My local Apple Store (Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica) got a shipment and opened one up and put it on the floor immediately, before adding the floor demo tidbits and all. It was pretty popular, and a lot of people asked about this, to which the Apple Rep mentioned something about it making the screen seem larger or just generally more useable when compared to the 15" MBP, or something along that vein. For what it's worth.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

Perhaps some sort of matte coating. I also remember the security coating that could be applied to PDAs that would let only the person sitting directly in front of it see the screen. perhaps something in that vein...If there's a market demand for it it will surely exist.

IMHO, the glossy screens just don't work. My uncle bought an Acer laptop with a glossy screen. The screen was completely unreadable when we sat near a window even though it was cloudy outside.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    How about color accuracy [for graphic designers/video editors] with the glossy screens?
  • Reply 27 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What kind of graphics designers use a 13" widescreen laptop geared towards students?
  • Reply 28 of 75
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Perhaps some sort of matte coating. I also remember the security coating that could be applied to PDAs that would let only the person sitting directly in front of it see the screen. perhaps something in that vein...If there's a market demand for it it will surely exist.

IMHO, the glossy screens just don't work. My uncle bought an Acer laptop with a glossy screen. The screen was completely unreadable when we sat near a window even though it was cloudy outside.

I haven't had any issues with the glossiness so far, but I know there are matte plastic overlays you can purchase that essentially nix it.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    adamloganadamlogan Posts: 15member
    I am also very wary of this whole gloss display issue. Everything is going for the mac book pro IMO, size, & specs seem perfect for what I want and need. However the gloss screen really does make me hesitate to buy my first laptop though. I want to be able to do digital painting and the likes, maybe even do some 3d modeling from life. However, if this notebook has glare/reflection problems, this notebook will be out of the picture as far as I'm concerned, and that would be a real shame. I'm most concerned about being able to use graphic programs as well, programs such as Photoshop, Corel Painter, possibly Luxology Modo and Autodesk Maya. Meh. Guess I just need to see it for myself. Another question, is the embeded intel gfx card ok for such uses? It's kind of funny when I think about it since the MBP has an ass kicking ati card in it- underclocked 30% for battary life reasons.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I find the glossy screen works very well. It was actually great out in the sun yesterday.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    adamloganadamlogan Posts: 15member
    Yeah? I still need to see it in person with my own eyes. My parents have a recent fujitsu lifebook with glossy display, it's terrible outside. The colors are also inaccurate. I've posted something online only to see what it looked like on my desktop (on a decent 21" NEC CRT monitor) it just looked wrong. I'm glad to hear some of you are finding it to be allright in the sun but somehow I'm still skeptical as to how that's possible! Regardless, I need to see if the mac book can take what I want to throw at it anyways. I suppose I wouldnt be able to take the laptop outside, or try out a MB with 2 gig memory installed though. It does seem like the sweetest deal currently. Hmm, first things first though, I gotta lay my eyes/ hands on the thing before coming to a decision.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I'm in the apple store at present - getting my MBP 17"

Using the MB as I type - have to say, the screen is a mixed blessing - the colours & text look great, but there is alot more reflections on the screen which are irritating.

Pros & cons to both really - don't think the screen would deter me if everything else was to my requirements though
  • Reply 33 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by LGnome

This makes perfect sense to me.

If one goes into a store and looks at an iBook or a MacBook for that matter, the glossy Toshibas, Sonys, etc right next to them just look so new, shiny, and so very "neato!," as I have heard. I surmise that deep inside the consciousness of the consumer the matte screen is considered "old" and "outdated." As well, I relate this very similarly to the deer in the headlight syndrome--the practicality is lost to the "wow! factor." And I'd put money on the "wow! factor" 9 times out 10 when dealing with entry level computer buyers..

Also, again, I don't have the focus group or marketing data to back this up, but I bet the closer Apple gets to matching the specs of similarly priced entry level laptops, while surpassing them on non specable things such as look and feel, they are predicting they will have exponentially greater sales..

I agree. When you see a glossy screen next to a matte one, it stands out a mile. Over the past year or two, I've walked into PC stores and been immediately attracted to the Sony Vaios with the glossy displays with high contrast and beautiful colour reproduction. They are so much better for viewing media. Then returning home to use my washed out, dim powerbook display praying Apple would make their displays nicer. Finally the time comes.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I would love to know how often any of you have actually used a laptop outside in the afternoon sun?

What are you all doing, going on long walks with powerbooks and having picknics with it?

Everytime I take a notebook anywhere with me it's to take with me into another controlled lighting environment.

If I'm going to be outside, outside (walks, picknics, on the beach etc) I'm doing so with a woman, not a computer.

I think almost everyone is over exagerating this (probably most of you have never even seen the screen) the macbook's screen looks great, I don't live in an apple store, where I live, work, take my notebook etc isn't out in the sun or in a flourecent retail location.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What kind of graphics designers use a 13" widescreen laptop geared towards students?

student graphic designers.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS!!?? Running it over that thing just >>ONCE<< should do the trick!
  • Reply 37 of 75
    I spent some time in my local Apple Store walking back and forth between the MBs and the MBPs. I have to say the glossy screen looks great. It is just so vibrant and I can't see the glare being a big problem (once again, controlled envionment). Actually the dullness of the matte finished laptops has always bothered me, and if I ever get a MBP I'm going to go for the glossy screen.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

If I'm going to be outside, outside (walks, picknics, on the beach etc) I'm doing so with a woman, not a computer.

And what is this "woman" you speak of, and what are the specs?

• Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I would love to know how often any of you have actually used a laptop outside in the afternoon sun.

Yesterday. And that's not me being cute, I'm serious--while I can definitely understand the "being outside with a woman" approach to things, sometimes it's nice to type a college paper in a cool breeze and cloudless sky.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

And what is this "woman" you speak of, and what are the specs?

Yeah, is she a PC or a Mac?

PC woman: complicated interface, kinda ugly, nagging messages flying at you all the time, it's not clear which buttons you're supposed to be pressing, performs dull processes, someone you just picked because everyone else had one

Mac woman: stylish, sexy, easy-going, does fun stuff, always ready to help you out, firewire port at the back she encourages you to use