What do you expect for June and July?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by code mechanic

I'm holding off on my mac mini purchase because I think they will be upgraded (quietly) to 2.0 processors with 1Gig of RAM sometime in June, in order to catch up with the MacBook . . .

The Mac mini is not intended to catch up with the MacBook.

1. Don't expect a processor faster than 1.83Ghz, lowest end Mac mini will probally get the 1.67Ghz Core Duo.

2. Ram will stay 512MB.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    darth_appledarth_apple Posts: 199member
    I'm going to predict 2 things that will happen in June and July that I know will happne 100%... and I'm not joking!

In June we will see... the AIA Convetion from June 8th thru the 10th --> http://www.apple.com/business/events/aia06/

and in July we will see... the NECC convetion from July 5th thru the 7th --> http://center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2006/

Now I don't expect that much to come from these events but we might see some suprises, we might even see the eMac debuted at NECC (it is a Education convetion), perhaps a new education related program and maybe even the new eMac:

Quote:

Apple developing next-generation eMac for education, low-end AIO markets?

In the past week, the grapevine has been lit up like a christmas tree with rumors of a new entry-level, education-oriented, all-in-one Mac.

With an industrial design and basic enclosure concept very similar to the modern iMac, the new eMac will be a major departure from its bulbous CRT-based roots.

Employing a reinforced "childproof"/scratchproof 17-inch widescreen LCD display at 1440x900 resolution, the eMac will have an enclosure that is slightly deeper and lacks the clear resin coating of the iMac to create a distinct appearance that is obvious even at a distance....but the similarities just about end there.

Features will include low-wattage Core Solo processors at 1.6 and 1.83GHz, DDR2-667 memory, Intel GMA950 integrated graphics, built-in AirPort Extreme, a slot-loading Combo Drive (optional Superdrive in high-end model), Firewire 400, USB2, and a new educational software bundle.

\t

Many features that are standard parts of the Intel chipset Apple uses in all its new Core-architecture Macs have been hotly debated on the grapevine as to whether or not they will be included in the new eMac. These include Gigabit Ethernet vs. 10/100, Built-in Bluetooth, Combination Analog/Digital Audio I/O vs. Analog-Only, Mighty Mouse vs. Standard one-button Apple Optical Mouse, built-in iSight and microphone, Apple Remote, and so forth.

While we believe that the new eMac will not include an Apple Remote or Mighty Mouse to keep costs down and streamline the computer for use by young students, most of the rest of those features are up in the air. With a less integrated chipset removing many of these features would reduce costs, but not so with Intel's highly integrated Core chipset. Intel sources have suggested that a separate, low-cost chipset supporting Core processors does exist but has not been picked up by any major retailers toi their knowledge.....

Cost of this entry-level, education-oriented All-In-One Macintosh is estimated to be $899 for the low-end model and $1099 for the high-end version. An introduction date has also been the subject of intense debate on the Grapevine but we favor the rumors suggesting an announcement within the next few weeks, just in time for the budgeting season ahead of school year 2006-2007. Even the most conservative estimates put the eMac's introduction at no later than July 15, for this reason.

Source: http://www.macosrumors.com/20060530A.php

And from AIA perhaps SketchUp as a Universal Binary... I can hope can't I?

Oh and my last prediction is.... I'll celebrate my 21st birthday in July

... atleast I hope I will
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

The Mac mini is not intended to catch up with the MacBook.

1. Don't expect a processor faster than 1.83Ghz, lowest end Mac mini will probally get the 1.67Ghz Core Duo.

2. Ram will stay 512MB.

On the first point I don't agree I think the low end mini will have 1.83GHz while the high end will have 2.0GHz (when Apple bumps up there speed)

Of course I could be wrong...

On the second point I do agree with you it will still be a few more months before Apple starts selling Minis and the rest of there lineup (besides the 17in and high end MacBook Pros) get the 1GB treatment... But I wish it were diferent.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

On the first point I don't agree I think the low end mini will have 1.83GHz while the high end will have 2.0GHz (when Apple bumps up there speed)

Of course I could be wrong...

On the second point I do agree with you it will still be a few more months before Apple starts selling Minis and the rest of there lineup (besides the 17in and high end MacBook Pros) get the 1GB treatment... But I wish it were diferent.

It is difficult to sell the price difference between a hypothetical 2Ghz Core Duo Mac mini for $799 and a 2Ghz MBP for $1,999.

If you look at the "highly valued" MacBook 2Ghz the price difference still is a staggering $500.

That's a lot of money for a 13" screen and a iSight.

1.67Ghz and 1.83Ghz is good for a Mac mini upgrade in the Q2/Q3 2006 time frame.

For instance Dell puts a 1,83Ghz Core Duo in a $3500 luggable XPS M2010.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    MBPs come with a lot of stuff minis don't. Let iSight, a screen, a nice keyboard, etc. Additionally, MBPs would be using Merom, which is a better chip clock-for-clock in terms of power use and in terms of productivity.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    BTW

Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

[snip]

Source: http://www.macosrumors.com/20060530A.php

[/snip]

you better don't believe a word MOSR says.

The last time it had something right was in summer 2000, when it used the info from some Worker Bee on a forum to predict the cube.

That's the closest it ever came to the grapefine.

Quote:

[snip]

features will include low-wattage Core Solo processors at 1.6 and 1.83GHz, [/snip]

The last thing Apple will do is giving an eMac very expensive low power Core chips.

The Core Solo is not that much cheaper than the Core Duo.

So I don't think Apple will use it for an eMac replacement.

All things MOSR mentioned are pretty obvious and discussed in this thread
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

MBPs come with a lot of stuff minis don't. Let iSight, a screen, a nice keyboard, etc. Additionally, MBPs would be using Merom, which is a better chip clock-for-clock in terms of power use and in terms of productivity.

Not in june or july.

That's were this thread is about.

MBPs come with a lot of stuff Mac minis don't?

Okay, lets take the cheapest MBP ($1,200 premium):

- iSight

- 15"screen

- ExpressCard/34 slot

- Backlit keyboard

- and no double-layer SuperDrive
  • Reply 68 of 72
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I'd like a USB2 keyboard with backlighting.

How about a keyboard with good layout? There's no reason to stick with the retarded one that has Caps Lock in a prominent location and hard to reach ctrl, backspace, delete, esc et cetera. The thumbs especially could operate more than spacebar.

The people who touch type would like it and the people who hunt and peck would not even notice a difference.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Changing the keyboard layout is something more than just a computer company would have to take on.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

BTW

you better don't believe a word MOSR says.

I don't, they are a rumor site after all and most rumor sites, even this one, are/have/will be wrong. (Plus I know that they are a bit [wayyyyy] out there)

I just take it as wild and educated guesses which is what we all do here anyway

But I do believe (not because they said it) that Apple will introduce the eMac at the NECC convetion, I just think it makes sense, but thats my educated guess

And about the mini I guess only time will tell...
  • Reply 71 of 72
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That 'One More Thing' has become so predictable, it ain't even funny more.

? it IS funny, since 1971, when Peter Falk/Inspector Columbo quote that....
  • Reply 72 of 72
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I expect nothing of interest in June and July, but my gorgeous Mac Pro in August for sure.