The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 641 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Well perhaps I'm wrong but I thought Woodcrest was being called Xeon 5100 series. I'm under the impression that the extreme edition stuff is conroe, like the extreme edition Pent Ds. Maybe someone else can clear this up.

There will also be a Conroe Extreme. Conroe is now being called Core 2 Duo. See article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2771

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, check out the tests, very gratifying1
  • Reply 642 of 946
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I may be misunderstanding your arguement. I envision Conroe as a prosumer level processor. IE in the iMac and perhaps an entry level workstation only. That may be stretching it a bit as even Apple's entry level workstation still fetches $1999. The more I think about it and see the performance numbers, MacPros really ought to be powered by Woodcrest.

There was a $1400 single 1.8Ghz power mac for a while. A single conroe power mac could replace it if Apple deemed it worthwhile at that price point. So yes, I'd say that was an entry level workstation. Price wise the 1.8 Ghz G5 power mac was about the same as the 17" iMac G5 of the period.

Folks want a expandable headless mac for less than $2K. Eh, conroe would fit that bill. Still wouldn't compare well against a Dell but I'd buy it over an iMac because I have a 19" display already.

Vinea
  • Reply 643 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Well perhaps I'm wrong but I thought Woodcrest was being called Xeon 5100 series. I'm under the impression that the extreme edition stuff is conroe, like the extreme edition Pent Ds. Maybe someone else can clear this up.

Conroe is Core 2 Extreme.

Woodcrest is Xeon 5100 series.

The Xeon 5160 is the 3GHz version, which is what I expect to see two of in the highend model.
  • Reply 644 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Conroe is Core 2 Extreme.

Woodcrest is Xeon 5100 series.

The Xeon 5160 is the 3GHz version, which is what I expect to see two of in the highend model.

I would love that. It would be really hot.

Look at these server test comparasons. A fairly long article, but very telling.

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2772&p=1
  • Reply 645 of 946
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40GHz/4M) $316

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz/2M) $224

nice, nice if in iMac

BTO,

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz/4M) $999

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.67GHz/4M) $530

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipset...?i=2771&p=6
  • Reply 646 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Merom is Core 2 Solo/Duo.

Conroe is Core 2 Duo/Extreme.

Woodcrest is Xeon.

AppleInsider had an article a while ago where they falsely stated that Core 2 Duo was Conroe, whereas Core 2 Extreme was Woodcrest.
  • Reply 647 of 946
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Woodcrest is Xeon.

AppleInsider had an article a while ago where they falsely stated that Core 2 Duo was Conroe, whereas Core 2 Extreme was Woodcrest.

Must have been where I got that.
  • Reply 648 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Woodcrest is Xeon.

The article I posted that just came out also states that Conroe is Core 2 Duo, AND for the Extreme version, Core 2 Extreme.

A quote:

"A few months have passed since our original foray into the world of Conroe, and official naming has been announced for the processor. What we've been calling Conroe is now known as Core 2 Duo, with the Extreme Edition being called Core 2 Extreme. Initial availability of the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors remains unchanged from Intel's original estimates of "early Q3". "
  • Reply 649 of 946
    This is why I think putting "Conroe" Core 2 Duo into a Mac Pro, except at possibly the lowest level, will be a very bad idea (though that doesn't mean that Apple will agree!).

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1973939,00.asp

How can an MP compete with a sub-$1,000 system with the same chip, even if it's at a slightly lower speed?
  • Reply 650 of 946
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Laptop makers are also planning to put Conroe in laptops.

I'm sure that would rule out Apple putting them in Mac Pro and selling them as workstations.
  • Reply 651 of 946
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This is why I think putting "Conroe" Core 2 Duo into a Mac Pro, except at possibly the lowest level, will be a very bad idea (though that doesn't mean that Apple will agree!).

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1973939,00.asp

How can an MP compete with a sub-$1,000 system with the same chip, even if it's at a slightly lower speed?

Good point...and if Apple did go with Conroe on the low end, they'd have to pull the price down to what it was a few years ago...1599$-1699$...at the most.

I'm convinced Apple gets such good deals on Intel chips that there would be no reason to have quads across the lineup starting at 1999$ starting with the 5148T 2.3GHz Woodcrests...or at the very least the 5130 2GHz...

...at $315/1000 the 5130 would cost Apple at most $630 (let's pretend like Apple doesn't get massive savings from ordering a crapload of Intel processors), let's say everything else is $900. That's $1530...giving Apple a respectable margin.

The 5148T would cost at most $1040. Let's pretend everything else is $900. That's $1940...ok, so there isn't much margin but like I said, does Apple really pay full price for Intel's chips and other various components? No...I'm certain we can shave $300 off my very pessimistic, worst-case, cost estimates.

If we don't see quad 2.3 on the low end for $1999, I'll eat my acrylic wool and polyester hat. This ain't an edible hat.

Apple is probably going to be one of Intel's biggest (if not the biggest) Xeon client. Apple will be getting a good deal. They'll be moving over 500k dual-core Xeons chips per semester.

edit: changed my estimate from 600k to 500k...
  • Reply 652 of 946
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    kim - how is it possible you have nearly half a million posts racked up?
  • Reply 653 of 946
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

I post a lot.

You're only 7 posts behind me.
  • Reply 654 of 946
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9bSLIkNBj4M

Price cuts arriving at late ...23rd July in alignment with introduction of Conroe ...
  • Reply 655 of 946
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Yeah, what a mystery?!!

• Reply 656 of 946
    IMHO, Mac Pro is ready by this time ...

now, intel is happy to announce their CPU launch through APPLE, it will create more marketing $ and hype

my guess both parties enjoy this ... atleast for a while

(if my memory serves correctly, Yonah CPU (exact) details not avaialbe until MacBook Pro was announced by APPLE, pls correct me if i am wrong in this)
  • Reply 657 of 946
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

(if my memory serves correctly, Yonah CPU (exact) details not avaialbe until MacBook Pro was announced by APPLE, pls correct me if i am wrong in this)

That's how i understand it as well...
  • Reply 658 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Wow, you're a sucker.
  • Reply 659 of 946
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Again (for the 3rd time in this thread)

- The Mac Pro Will use Woodcrest and the Blackford workstation Intel Chipset.

- At least 2 models will be Quad, if not all.

- Apple will announce them sometime this month (June) shipping July. WWDC is TOO LATE, Dell and HP will be all over Woodcrest for DP workstations, Apple will not want to fall behind.

- THey may put Conroe (Core 2 Duo) into some new form factor, maybe at WWDC.
  • Reply 660 of 946
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Wow, you're a sucker.

I don't get it.