Finder rant!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Moderator note: Comments about site moderation are against the posting guidelines.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Moriarty

Personally, I think Apple should build a cut/paste method of some kind into the Finder. Either do it like on Windows with Cut and Paste commands or via shelf like Path Finder uses. Either method works fine although I do like Path Finder's shelf as you can continue to add items even if there are items already in it.

OMG don't say anything like that as the resident Apple UI Experts will come after you and (site moderation comment deleted - JL).

Better keep worshipping Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    Im not sure if this was mentioned already, but It seems ever since 10.4, the Finder doesn't update the disk usage display. I mean by when under view options for the Desktop it says 'Show Item Info'. The disk usage doesnt change even if I install/uninstall something. I have to quit the Finder for it to change, yet it dynamically changes when actually looking through the HD \ . Weird, does anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 64 of 99
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    All I want in 10.5 is an Apple OS X version of taskmenubar built into it. And lables that just shade the folder like the did in classic.

- Mark
  • Reply 65 of 99
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlackShadowWolf

Im not sure if this was mentioned already, but It seems ever since 10.4, the Finder doesn't update the disk usage display. I mean by when under view options for the Desktop it says 'Show Item Info'. The disk usage doesnt change even if I install/uninstall something. I have to quit the Finder for it to change, yet it dynamically changes when actually looking through the HD \ . Weird, does anyone else have this problem?

Yep, known issue.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    Thank god then it isnt just me, I have 10.3.9 on my iBook and it updates dynamically so I guess someone at Apple had an accident when updating the Finder for Tiger .
  • Reply 67 of 99
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

And I'm not aware why anyone would want to do that (move a file in the Finder using keyboard only) in a GUI app.

1) mouse might not work - the left button on my mouse was inactive just yesterday until reboot

2) when I'm on a bus there is absolutely no space to use the trackpad properly

3) when I'm reclining on a chair or sofa, mouse is difficult to reach and use

4) it's quicker

5) nothing says GUI = mouse only, CLI = keyboard only. It's perfectly reasonable to copy-paste with mouse in consoles and to use GUI apps from the keyboard. In fact on Windows I barely touched the mouse in regular use, and could have done everything else without the mouse if need be. On OS X I'm on the mouse a great deal of the time and could not accomplish many basic operations such as said "move a file" without the mouse.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Then you need to learn a bit more about the terminal!

mv myfile ../
  • Reply 69 of 99
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Type a / or a ~, and a "go to folder" dialogue will appear.

Really? When I saw this, I thought, "Wow! Kewl!" -- but I tried it, and nothing happens.

There is, of course, the "Go to Folder..." item in the Finder's Go menu for typing file paths, and you can get there with the shortcut Command-Shift-G, but simply starting to type a path with / or ~ while in the Finder would be nice. I've tried having a Finder window open and active, tried typing in the Spotlight field, tried no Finder windows open with a drive icon selected, and no Finder windows/no icons selected, yet I've found no context where a / or ~ out of the blue invokes the Go to Folder dialog.

A thought while we're on the subject: It would be great if the Go to Folder dialog recognized the Tab key for auto-completion of path items, just like in a Terminal window.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Really? When I saw this, I thought, "Wow! Kewl!" -- but I tried it, and nothing happens.

There is, of course, the "Go to Folder..." item in the Finder's Go menu for typing file paths, and you can get there with the shortcut Command-Shift-G, but simply starting to type a path with / or ~ while in the Finder would be nice.

This is for open and save panels, not Finder windows. For Finder windows, there's Go to Folder?, as you point out, which can be invoked with Cmd-Shift-G.

Quote:

A thought while we're on the subject: It would be great if the Go to Folder dialog recognized the Tab key for auto-completion of path items, just like in a Terminal window.

The Finder's Go to Folder? sheet, as well as the aforementioned sheets in Open/Save panels, do support auto-complete, except it's extremely slow as to be completely useless. (WTF, Apple?) You can't press tab, but you can wait.

For example, type in "/Sys", then wait. It will complete to "/System".
  • Reply 71 of 99
    gjwgjw Posts: 6member
    Michael_Moriarty: Wonderful. Thanks. I am going to try it now!

I can think of two solutions for your need to move files to their current location's parent. An AppleScript droplet to do it would be only a few lines and could live in the toolbar area of every Finder window. Just drag a file to and and off it goes.

Alternative 2 is that I could add it to FileCutter.
  • Reply 72 of 99
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Cut/pasting is not dangerous. Never I had deleted something by accident with this procedure. Tell me how I can, and I'll try this. Also I never heard of people deleting stuff by cutting/pasting in my surroundings. You're just saying this without reality check.

Try reading my post again.

I said it was either dangerous or inconsistent. The implementation in Windows removes the dangerous element, and in the process makes file cut/paste inconsistent with other cut/paste operations.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    gjwgjw Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Try reading my post again.

I said it was either dangerous or inconsistent. The implementation in Windows removes the dangerous element, and in the process makes file cut/paste inconsistent with other cut/paste operations.

Found something interesting yesterday while trying to help someone with a different Finder annoyance. I don't know how far back it goes, but in 10.4.6 Finder recognizes an undocumented pref named AllowCutForItems. Set to any of the type/value combinations that are recognized as "true", it makes the Cut command available in the Edit menu and in context menus.

When invoked, it moves the selection to the trash. What I like about this is that it does, in fact, get reasonably close to being consistent with normal user interaction without being as inherently destructive as a typical cut. Now if they can just get Paste working. All they'd have to do is leave extra data on the clipboard indicating the current location in the trash and the original name (in case it was renamed when moved to the trash directory).
  • Reply 74 of 99
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

Then you need to learn a bit more about the terminal!

mv myfile ../

This was about Finder. When I said "OS X", I did so because the keyboard (un)usability extends farther than Finder.

I can use Terminal, actually, but its presence is not a good reason to abandon keyboard usability everywhere else in the OS. Even something as basic as using the OS X menu bar has been made horrifyingly difficult. This is one of the few things Windows does better.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

The implementation in Windows removes the dangerous element, and in the process makes file cut/paste inconsistent with other cut/paste operations.

Such as?
  • Reply 76 of 99
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Such as?

Crickey. Do I have to explain everything?

With text cut/paste etc., if you "cut" something, don't paste it, and then "cut" something else, you've lost the first thing that you cut.

In Windows, if you "cut" "file A", don't paste it, then "cut" "file B", "file A" does not disappear. "file A" disappearing would be consistent with the cut/paste metaphor, but dangerous in that it would be easy to accidentally delete a file.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Even something as basic as using the OS X menu bar has been made horrifyingly difficult.

How so? You have easy keyboard shortcuts for commonly used commands and keyboard access with the arrowkeys to the entire menubar. What more do you want?
  • Reply 78 of 99
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

For example, type in "/Sys", then wait. It will complete to "/System".

Hadn't noticed that before, but yep, that works. Then again, I'm not really fond of that solution, especially seeing how you immediately get all of the very first match found, without the opportunity to stop at the root of two or more possible matches (i.e, a directory contains both "apple" and "application", you type a + p + tab, and get "appl" and the ability to rotate through both matching choices).
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Yeah, I agree. The current autocompletion is quite lacking.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Odd, I just tried tab auto-completing in the finder go menu and it worked fine, you don't have to wait for any delay.