The next iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    hanenthanent Posts: 19member
    MacRonin// it was a joke, of course it's not real.

ACtually, check out this site http://www.apple-discounts.com/contest/gallery1.html they've got whole pictures of future apple product hopefuls..I must say very nicely done, some are really tempting.
  • Reply 22 of 176
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hanent

MacRonin// it was a joke, of course it's not real.

ACtually, check out this site http://www.apple-discounts.com/contest/gallery1.html they've got whole pictures of future apple product hopefuls..I must say very nicely done, some are really tempting.

I realized it was a joke?

Duh?

;^p

But I think it could be a very cool product as I outlined?!
  • Reply 23 of 176
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    23" iMac similar to Cinema Display

Thinner,Lighter

Alu casing

Conore

Small Chin & small apple logo as well
  • Reply 24 of 176
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Conroe.

...and don't forget FireWire 800 this time Steve!
  • Reply 25 of 176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

...and don't forget FireWire 800 this time Steve!

NGH.
  • Reply 26 of 176
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

23" iMac similar to Cinema Display

Thinner,Lighter

Alu casing

Conore

Small Chin & small apple logo as well

- Why not similar to the current iMac? (Maybe add a Black One)))

I don't see a reason to make the iMac more expensive than it already has to be.

- The iMac is already as thin as it can get make it thinner and it gets in notebook-parts territory.

- Lighter than what?

- Aluminium won't make it lighter.

- Why do you always use the name Conore if you refer to Conroe?

- The chin has a function. If you are a seperate-powerbrik-and-no-speakers-fan the chin can go.

The chin mostly seems to bothers people who actually don't have an iMac.

If Apple introduces an 23"iMac the chin wouldn't look as large as it is because of the larger size of the screen.
  • Reply 27 of 176
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

tpyo

exactly, i bother abt the chin, i hv a Cinema display, i think seeing the screen with out any frame is great ...

yep 23" will not have much chin ...

is there any problem in telling any suggestion ???

(remember, once our own Steve told iPod sucks)
  • Reply 28 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

(remember, once our own Steve told iPod sucks)

that was Steve Balmer
  • Reply 29 of 176
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't know about a 23-inch iMac. I was kind of hoping that some day Apple would move from a 17-inch/20-inch outlay to a 20-inch/23-inch outlay. But it hasn't happened yet. I think the next iMac will retain the same general design, although I would love it if the display had less around it. The iMac has almost become prosumer rather than consumer. It would be nice if it keeps that pace with the same general specs, and doesn't move into areas like Integrated Graphics.

The construction of the unit ? I don't know if Apple is going to retain the love affair with aluminum. In the past when other companies started immitating Apple's products whether by form or material, Apple changes them to remain unique. We're starting to see every notebook come in silver, and even Dell is using Aluminum in their XPS line in a similar (yet uglier) fashion to Apple.

I think the next iMac's display needs to be adjustable, and maybe even rotatable.

Also Apple needs to include some missing features in the iMac, and Firewire 800 is definitely one of them. It would be nice if the iMac had TWO Firewire 800s and one Firewire 400, or two of both. There's room for this, and I can't imagine that Apple has to make the boards bigger to accommodate Intel's latest technology. I would think that they would be able to make the boards and internal component layout smaller than ever before thus eliminating the chin.
  • Reply 30 of 176
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

- Why not similar to the current iMac? (Maybe add a Black One)))

I don't see a reason to make the iMac more expensive than it already has to be.

- The iMac is already as thin as it can get make it thinner and it gets in notebook-parts territory.

- Lighter than what?

- Aluminium won't make it lighter.

- The chin has a function. If you are a seperate-powerbrik-and-no-speakers-fan the chin can go.

The chin mostly seems to bothers people who actually don't have an iMac.

If Apple introduces an 23"iMac the chin wouldn't look as large as it is because of the larger size of the screen.

I agree. Someone explain to me why thin and light (approaching laptop dimensions) are necessary features for a desktop machine. No I don't want CRT sized displays but what's the point of knocking off a quater of an inch in thickness and a few ounces of weight on a desktop machine? Anyone ever heard of the law of deminishing returns?

PS I vote for conroe.
  • Reply 31 of 176
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by unemployeed

but when?

Which comes out first Conroe or Merom

Conroe comes out first so it could be unveiled before the XMas buying season, but I would expect the Mac Mini to be a bigger XMas seller. just because it's so much more affordable.
  • Reply 32 of 176
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

explain to me why thin and light ... are necessary features for a desktop machine

They are not, nor should they be. The iMac needs to revert to a design that makes components easier to access, and when they made the current iMac design slimmer, they eliminated this ability, and it was a stupid move on Apple's part in my opinion!
  • Reply 33 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

They are not, nor should they be. The iMac needs to revert to a design that makes components easier to access, and when they made the current iMac design slimmer, they eliminated this ability, and it was a stupid move on Apple's part in my opinion!

Even though they are still somewhat difficult to access, if Apples market share goes up after Leopard (with built in bootcamp) they may be able to reintroduce the Cube as a model between the iMac, and the mini. Basically bringing the low end mini specs way down to super inexpensive more affordable level, and creating a more attractive lineup with the addition of the cube.

Actually that's not a bad idea. That low level mini could be a place to use last years processors in an inexpensive machine somewhat like how someone mentioned using a Pentium D in a Mac to make a more affordable version.
  • Reply 34 of 176
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hanent

*out comes the credit card*
  • Reply 35 of 176
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    ...and only US$6,995
  • Reply 36 of 176
    That thing sucks. Where did the computer go is right. I'd happily spend my days, and nights working on a way to get OS X to run my alienware if Apple released one of those to replace the PowerMac.
  • Reply 37 of 176
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That thing sucks. Where did the computer go is right. I'd happily spend my days, and nights working on a way to get OS X to run my alienware if Apple released one of those to replace the PowerMac.

Like it or not, that's the way it will go "eventually".

...by the way I said "eventually"
  • Reply 38 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I agree. Someone explain to me why thin and light (approaching laptop dimensions) are necessary features for a desktop machine. No I don't want CRT sized displays but what's the point of knocking off a quater of an inch in thickness and a few ounces of weight on a desktop machine? Anyone ever heard of the law of deminishing returns?

PS I vote for conroe.

Well, Apple has already shown they love diminishing returns with the Mini and to some extent with the current iMac.

I think Conroe would put Apple right in the middle of the Intel/AMD price war and create embarassing price comparisons. I vote Mermon and thin/light enclosures to prevent the comparisons, much like has been seen with the Mini.
  • Reply 39 of 176

23", less chin, top-of-the-line black model for just 200$ more....
  • Reply 40 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by antizeit

23", less chin, top-of-the-line black model for just 200$ more....

Nice... I'll buy one.

I think it would have a little more chin though.

You also forgot the black tax and the $500 price difference between the 20" and 23" cinema display.

My guess is a starting price of $1.999.