"NEW MIGHTY MOUSE" Someone has to do it??

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Because it's not permitted. You'll have to find a space to upload.
  • Reply 82 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

I have a Logitech V500 Mouse, and it has a touch scroll pad (up/down, left/right) and to be honest it is not so great. I accidentally touch it too many times and end up jumping to the bottom of the page. I much prefer the little ball on the Mighty Mouse.

But surely that's more an issue of how well the design is implemented rather than a concept flaw. I mean, laptop trackpads make the mouse jump around if you tap them randomly too but people use them every day. Maybe someone just needs to design it so that doesn't happen.
  • Reply 83 of 130
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Hey, thanks for the hint. Yes, yes I do suck at the internet.

Maybe this will work. All my own work too.

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...e272dpi0vx.jpg
  • Reply 84 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

It's a pipe-dream anyway, Apple would never include a mouse as expensive as the one you suggested. This is probably why they (according to above posts) came up with and then abandoned other, similar, designs.

Expensive? Less moving parts, no more expensive than the current design at all.
  • Reply 85 of 130
  • Reply 86 of 130
    Great! It works. Thanks a mil, Placebo and Chucker.
  • Reply 87 of 130
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No prob. I was just being cheeky, pretty much everybody makes that mistake the first time they want to show off a picture.

Cheers.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Expensive? Less moving parts, no more expensive than the current design at all.

Trackpads cost a couple dollars wholesale with economy of scale, Apple would probably be paying $4-5 per unit for a while.

The scrolling device in the mighty mouse probably costs less than a nickel/unit.

CPUs have fewer moving parts than the fans that cool them, that hardly makes them less expensive.

I kind of like your idea, it goes well with the whole non-moving parts theme of the mighty mouse. However, I prefer tactile feedback with my input devices. Studies have shown tactile feedback allows for faster reaction time than audible and especially visual feedback. Muscle memory (stored in the cerebelum) is also better executed and stored more accurately.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    Quote:

Trackpads cost a couple dollars wholesale with economy of scale, Apple would probably be paying $4-5 per unit for a while.

The scrolling device in the mighty mouse probably costs less than a nickel/unit.

CPUs have fewer moving parts than the fans that cool them, that hardly makes them less expensive.

I don't agree with that logic. Anyway I don't care it the mouse costs $4 more, I want it now.
  • Reply 90 of 130
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    How about this: increase the accuracy and precision of the touch sensors under the shell and totally get rid of the scrollball. Invisible touch pad scrolling :P
  • Reply 91 of 130
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

I don't agree with that logic. Anyway I don't care it the mouse costs $4 more, I want it now.

Why in the world would you want an Apple mouse, anyway? the mighty mouse, as it stands now, is $50 from Apple.com. 50 bucks for a wired mouse with 1 button and 4 'sensors'? Crazy I say.

Maybe your best bet is to ask a 3rd party like kensington to make one. At least you'd probably get it at a reasonable price.

I got my logitech MX1000 for $50.. now THAT'S a $50 mouse. Wireless, 50% faster transfer rate than bluetooth (identical to USB), laser precision, 8 buttons, and a 4 way scroll.

Oh, and did I mention the battery is replacable (screwdriver required though).

Again, I like the idea of a mouse with no moving parts, but I just can't see it being an advantage from a usability standpoint. I tried the mighty mouse in an Apple store, it drove me nuts, maybe you have to get used to it, but I prefer feeling my mouse make contact instead of trusting sensors to interpret my actions.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I'd say it's worth it for fewer warranty exchanges. For every exchange they do, that might blow the profit of several sales.

I actually do side scrolling, and I like the fact that the scroll ball is minimal force. All the competing devices that allow the wheel to tilt not only don't have a good means for proportional speed and positioning input on the side scroll, they require a lot of force use too. I just don't think it is big enough, or properly resistant to getting "jammed".
  • Reply 93 of 130
    Quote:

Ok here's the deal. I don't have photoshop, or anything of the sort. So someone needs need to do the dirty work. I have the design in my head, it's pretty simple.

you seem to want SIMPLE... but dont seem to have been spicific in your VERY original unedited first post..

but then...

Quote:

I suggested a specific design because I though it might be an improvment upon the current design, BUT, what is that thing? I never suggested such a thing. Apple's wouldn't make anything like that, sorry for hurting someone's feelings, but the truth hurts sometimes.

what we get isnt always what we want

Quote:

what we want isnt always what we get

all the same, theres plenty of VARITY..... of which your idea is only one variation on the idea hows gimp comming along? i HOPE no-one puts down any future ideas you come up with....honest.... im keen to see em... even if i do rib ya

all in all the track pad idea DESPITE extra cost per unit, would have far more appeal to ME over the nipple mouse...... AT THE SAME COST. but thats the thing, would the TPM (TrackPad Mouse) sell as well at an increased price?

i do like the idea of increasing the sensitivity of the senrors so that there isnt an actual track pad... can see how it would work, but would be cool... reckon THAT where youd need to put the logo... so as to give the brain a point of referance as to where the (invisable) track pad would be.

Rod
  • Reply 94 of 130
    i agree with user23
  • Reply 95 of 130
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banalltv

I don't think I met the minimum required miticlorian level to use this mouse.

Dang.

• Reply 96 of 130
    The trick is not to force it. badum-tish.
  • Reply 97 of 130
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banalltv

The trick is not to force it. badum-tish.

As a drummer, I have to correct you: BA-doomp-tsssh
  • Reply 98 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    The problem with a large trackpad is that your fingers have a very small space between them so you can't place the buttons at either side. However, it would if they made a clickable pad. That wouldn't break the shell into separate buttons. If you wanted tangible feedback, they could be like the lids you get on jars that click when they've been opened.

Naturally, they could be just like a laptop trackpad except a single touch acts as a click. You could then define trackpad regions (whether you want 1, 2 or 3) and use two fingers for scrolling just like a laptop.

That has to cut down the cost because you are using one sensor for everything. If the pad was big enough, you could even allow more than 3 regions to be specified and do away with the side buttons.
  • Reply 99 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

As a drummer, I have to correct you: BA-doomp-tsssh

tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-dum-bada-da-da-da-da-da-NEH-NEH-NEHHHH.....bada-da-da-da-da-da-NEH-NEH-NEHHHH.....bada-da-da-da-da-da-NEH-NEH-NEHHHH.....bada-da-da-da-da-da-NEH-NEH-NEHHHH.....ba-na-na-na-na-na-na-na...ba-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-NEH-NEH-It's been a long time since I rock and rolled...

...oh, yeah, you're right.
  • Reply 100 of 130
    Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum.. ..me and my drum 8)