Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 921 of 2106
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Toshiba Exec says he expect HD DVD enabled Xbox 360 this year

The Thlot Plickens. The PS3 is going to have a bigger battle to contend with. I'd consider scuttling my plans for a PS3 in lieu of an HD DVD Xbox 360.

Why buy a 360 with HD-DVD? There won't be any games on HD-DVD unless MS intends on pissing off all current XBox owners and you already own a Toshiba HD-DVD playe...oh wait...that's right...you're the HD-DVD "proponent" (zealot) that owns neither a HD display or HD-DVD player despite the alleged superiority of the format...

Personally, I'm waiting on both formats although the PS3 and XBox 360 are tempting from strictly a game machine perspective. I'm waiting to see how good or bad the PS3 will be before deciding on either console. The price difference is actually negligible IMO.

Either one represents the same number of brownie points from the wife. $$$ is a meaningless measure for many married guys.

The Wii isn't even in the running.

Vinea
  • Reply 922 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Why buy a 360 with HD-DVD

One could say the same about the PS3? 3D textures don't take 25GB of space.

No need to buy a HDTV when I have access (roomate) to a 30" CRT. I'm eyeballing the sammy 1080p for purchase next year. I'd buy a HD DVD right now but I've got a few other plans that need addressing.

I should be ready for gen 2 hardware.
  • Reply 923 of 2106
    Quote:

One could say the same about the PS3? 3D textures don't take 25GB of space.

Which is why BR or no BR on the PS3 is almost a non-issue for me except that all PS3 games should be BR rather than DVD right?

BR or HD-DVD isn't a deciding factor between consoles. However, the expected popularity of the PS3 (even at the current price point) will have an impact on the HD-DVD vs BR wars.

A new 360 with HD-DVD is likely a non-combatant in the BR vs HD-DVD wars in as much as gamers likely wouldn't care enough to pay PS3 prices if a $400 XBox 360 is available. MS COULD make HD-DVD only games but at the risk of pissing off all of their early adopters who are more likely to get a PS3 rather than a second 360HD.

While textures alone don't take 25GB of space, cut scenes could. UT2007 is rumored to be 20 or 30 gigs. Tekken 5 and Gran Turismo 4 I believe used the entire DVD so the devs might have wanted more.

Eh...in the end what decides are the games. The console with the best set of exclusive titles will have a distinct advantage regardless of price, drives, whatever. I know folks that bought an XBox JUST to play Halo. I don't doubt they are the same folks that will like up for the PS3 at launch and own all three consoles.

I stopped buying Nintendo when I realized I was playing two titles each generation. Perhaps I will look at Wii but the controller looks like a limited advantage for only a few games much like the 2nd DS screen. On the other hand, I can DL older Nintendo games so it might be worth it. Eh.

For the older gamer time is worth more than money. HD-DVD vs BR is a freaking waste of time and energy for the industry.

I won't buy either unless it comes attached to something I was planning on buying anyway (laptop, console, etc) until it shakes out.

Vinea
  • Reply 924 of 2106
    High Def Digest- HD DVD wins round 1

Final Conclusion

Quote:

Final Thoughts -- Nobody Puts Blu-ray in a Corner

So, the big question -- who won round one? I can't say either has sailed through their launch with flying colors. But all aspects considered -- reliability of hardware, video and audio quality of the discs released thus far, overall value for money -- I have to give HD DVD props for defying almost all predictions and trumping Blu-ray right at the starting line. For all of the Blu-ray camp's boasting of superior storage capability, increased interactivity and more across-the-board industry support, it just hasn't amounted to an appreciably better real-world product. In fact, Blu-ray has thus far underperformed.

Needless to say, this could all change. The fourth quarter will be the first true test for Blu-ray and HD DVD, with more studios releasing titles for both formats (most notably Fox for Blu-ray, and New Line for HD DVD), some second-generation hardware that should improve performance, and more new HDTVs that accept genuine native 1080p inputs. Once the playing field has been leveled and studios and manufacturers have had more time to surmount the learning curve, I bet we will see far more consistent product, and even a few cutting-edge discs that will blow everyone away.

In the meantime, if you're still on the fence in deciding between Blu-ray or HD DVD, there is nothing wrong with simply waiting it out a bit. As much fun as any new home electronics technology can be, it does come at a price -- but that is why High Def Digest is here. We do all the expensive heavy lifting for you, so when you're finally ready to jump in, you can buy with confidence. So continue to watch this space for daily news coverage and reviews, and see you in the fourth quarter with my impressions on round two of the great high-def DVD format war.

• Reply 925 of 2106
    $14.95 HDNet HD DVDs

Interesting. Kind of like a HD vacation advertisement.
  • Reply 926 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    TDK Reveals Blu-ray Media Rated at 6X Write Speeds

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3126&ref=y

Quote:

TDK 25GB Blu-ray Media Rated at 6x

TDK 100GB MediaTDK takes Blu-ray to 3 times the current media speed

With the bulk of Blu-ray writers launching at 2x write speeds, a higher speed media seems a little premature. However, TDK brought Blu-ray media rated at 6x to the 8th Annual Data Storage Expo in Japan and expects to launch media rated at 4x before the end of 2006.

The 6x media is a single layer 25GB Blu-ray disc which probably won't reap benefits until 6x drives come out. We are guessing we won't see 6x drives until at least later this year or early 2007 given the launch trends of previous optical standards.

TDK was also showing off 100GB Blu-ray media which we reported on back in April. The 100GB media uses a 4-layer process which has spacer layers between. TDK's latest trend graph shows a maximum speed of 4x for 100GB media.

TDK did again hint at 200GB media on that same trend graph which also shows a 6x write speed. The 200GB media is an 8-layer media on a single side. We probably won't see that density for another year or two so we?ll have to be satisfied with the current 25GB/50GB capacities.

• Reply 927 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

High Def Digest- HD DVD wins round 1

Final Conclusion

oh how sweet it will be.

we should do a head count or a quick check list on who has been fighting for what format.

cuz i'll be head hunting
  • Reply 928 of 2106
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

we should do a head count or a quick check list on who has been fighting for what format.

cuz i'll be head hunting

Head hunting? Like the "My dad could beat up your dad" kind of thing? Seems pointless to me.

Also note that there is a difference between prefering a format and predicting that it will triumph. I prefer the lower cost of HD-DVD over blu-ray, but am in no way claiming that HD-DVD will "win".

I'd far prefer to have both formats fail. I'm better off waiting for a distribution technology that doesn't force me to replace thousands upon thousands of dollars of equipment for no reason.

If it won't output HD over component, I won't the crap.
  • Reply 929 of 2106
    dfiler

You're ok. neither format has enabled Image Constraint Token so you can indeed run HD over component.

I'll own both formats and I've always been clear about that and quite honestly I don't know who will win. I champion HD DVD because both formats were conceived primarily as a movie distribution format and HD DVD gives excellent HD quality for the lowest cost possible for all parties involved (Production side and consumer side)

Blu-Ray is indeed a technological marvel but it is neither a fast optical format nor cheap and that's why I don't support it. Technological superiority should yield a noticable improvement in quality.
  • Reply 930 of 2106
    Quote:

dfiler

You're ok. Neitehr format has enabled Image Constraint Token so you can indeed run HD over component.

I'll own both formats and I've always been clear about that and quite honestly I don't know who will win. I champion HD DVD because both formats were conceived primarily as a movie distribution format and HD DVD gives excellent HD quality for the lowest cost possible for all parties involved (Production side and consumer side)*

Blu-Ray is indeed a technological marvel but it is neither a fast optical format nor cheap and that's why I don't support it.** Technological superiority should yield a noticable improvement in quality.

*Indeed it--HD DVD--has a lower cost on the production side, but claiming it does on the consumer side in one instance (price of media), is entirely false, and in another instance (price of hardware) is very, very misleading. On the consumer side, price of media for Blu-ray and HD DVD is the SAME. As it pertains to hardware, the price of hardware is also the SAME, however, at this current moment, the hardware that will make it the SAME will not be out for another 4 months--the PS3. So, in general, as it stands currently and for only the next 4 months, HD DVD is indeed cheaper from a hardware perspective, BUT if you think 4 months is going to win a format war and solely based on cost, you are most certainly looking at this with a narrow perspective as content support(Blu-ray has more support), hardware support (Blu-ray has more support), and industry support(Blu-ray has more support), are all variables that will come into the equation. As I've been saying for a long, long time, cost does not trump all, especially when we are talking about an early adoption market.

**Blu-ray is a faster optical format than HD DVD, and again as far as cost goes from a consumer's perspective, is the SAME on the media side and and is also the SAME on the hardware side when you look at what both sides are offering or are going to offer. However, I'll give you the fact that for the next 4 months HD DVD will be cheaper from a hardware perspective. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Dfiler, to add to what Murch was saying in regards to ICT and how you will have the availability to watch HD over component, you won't have to be forced to "to replace thousands upon thousands of dollars of equipment for no reason" because you may keep all of your existing DVDs and enjoy them being upconverted as well. In addition, depending on what format you decide to go with, it should only cost you $499 and not thousands upon thousands with the availability of the HD-A1 from Toshiba or the PS3 from Sony.
  • Reply 931 of 2106
    Marzetta7 is correct the price of pre-recorded media is infact very similar between the formats. I'm please by this.

Funny that people say cost does not trump all. It is a vast minority of products that can achieve critical mass as the more expensive platform. Sure there are small areas in which a more expensive competitor wins out but generally the rule is the item that costs the least has an advantage. 15 years of sales hasn't proven otherwise to me.

The cheaper both formats go the better for me. Bring it on baby. I'm saving for my 50" Sammy 1080p right now. I'll be a Blu-Ray bytch and a HD DVD Ho' at the drop of a dime. It's all about the movies really.
  • Reply 932 of 2106
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ah, thanks for the heads up on delayed implementation of the image constraint token. I had missed the press releases where rumors of delayed ICT were confirmed officially.

This is good news... somewhat. I had a DVD/divx player that used to upconvert over component. Then hollywood leaned on the manufacturer and it was disabled via a non-reversable firmware update. Arrrrgh, so much for ethernet based firmware updates being a good thing.

Are there any HD-DVD players that upconvert _copyprotected_ SD-DVDs over component? The toshiba (and RCA) doesn't as far as I can tell.

Heck, maybe all our anti-ICT ranting has payed off a little. Nah, they just figured out that they couldn't pull it off quickly enough to actually release a product.

Hollywood and the consumer electronics companies should be scared shitless with how badly they've screwed up the next-gen DVD transition. It's entirely possible that neither format will "win" and that DVD will be the last of the physical movie distribution standards. Internet based distribution, although lower-res, could easily take over just like it did in audio.

They should've just gone with a more aggressive codec on the existing discs. HD? Not quite, but everyone would already be watching almost-HD movies on dirt cheap equipment.
  • Reply 933 of 2106
    Execs in Japan dish on upcoming console wars...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153608.html

Quote:

Square's Wada, Bandai's Unozawa speak candidly on future of online gaming, upcoming shootout between Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3.

By Walt Wyman, GameSpot

Posted Jul 6, 2006 1:07 pm PT

The Computer Entertainment Suppliers' Association (CESA), the group that owns and produces the Tokyo Game Show, held a press conference today regarding online gaming and the industry's future. Famitsu.com covered the meeting, which was presided over by top officials from a number of companies, including Square Enix president Youichi Wada and Bandai Namco VP Shin Unozawa.

Wada began the discussion by frankly acknowledging "in individual interviews, we tend to give opinions in line with our companies' interests, making it difficult to give objective observations." He hoped that the roundtable interview would allow the participants to be more open and provide a fresh perspective to the talks.

Wada then shared his insights into online-gaming payment structures. He proposed a scenario for "volume-controlled charges," in which online games would be divided into chapters. The first chapter could be offered free for evaluation, with subsequent chapters requiring payments to continue playing. He also thinks that with the growth in "always-on" Internet connections, the "huge cost of debugging" to developers will decrease, as regular software updates will become possible. Wada also pointed out that the software updates would make it "easy to insert advertisements into games".

Unozawa then weighed in with his take on the impending battle between Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii. His opinion is that this purported clash of titans will actually be anti-climatic. "There will be no power struggle," he said.

Although praising the Wii's family-friendliness and synergy with the Nintendo DS, he added, "I'm unsure about its appeal to the main users, namely middle- and high-school students."

On the other hand, he was bullish on the PSP and PS3, which in his view fill "the demand for game hardware that can be enjoyed by individuals." Despite concerns that the PS3's price would make it prohibitively expensive, Unozawa has no fears. He asserted "the PlayStation 3 will sell, without question."

Like Wada, he too sees potential in shifting the billing structure of online games. For example, the game itself could be offered free, and users would be charged for items purchased.

I think I'd have to agree with Mr. Wada's assertion. The PS3 will be one heck of a seller. Plus with HDMI 1.3, it ought to be an awesome system.
  • Reply 934 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

Execs in Japan dish on upcoming console wars...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153608.html

I think I'd have to agree with Mr. Wada's assertion. The PS3 will be one heck of a seller. Plus with HDMI 1.3, it ought to be an awesome system.

sell right out of the gate sure but then lose serious steam.
  • Reply 935 of 2106
    HD DVD has the ability to sync aux storage to movie playback

Amir's quote

Quote:

HD DVD supports auxiliary storage that can sync up with video being played. So all one has to do is add a hard disk and put the extras there as part of a digital download. You get the best of both world. High quality delivery of the main feature and up to date version of the rest. And if you run out of space, you can just upgrade your hard disk/add another. And not wait for some new optical invention like BD-50...

I remember reading about some vague references to this a while ago. This is quite honestly a potentially huge feature. Content that evolves over time can be a killer feature if utilized correctly. The ability to branch in in new content as though it had always existed on the disc provides wonderful freedom.

I know from reading some Blu-Ray stuff on their site that indeed they have the same potential to integrate new content. We really haven't even scratched the surface of what is possible with these new formats. The savvy studio will be able to take a hit movie and continue to profit by adding content for a neglible price and the consumer gets current extras without waiting for yet another special edition or directors cut.

I think today both formats basically offer better video and sound but the real killer feature is going to be the stuff that goes on with the interactivity. That's the Holy Grail here.

Apple would do well to position its creative products in the middle of this potentially lucrative environment. They excel in creating great UI and design and that's just what these studios need to jazzy up your home viewing experience.
  • Reply 936 of 2106
    Quote:

Funny that people say cost does not trump all. It is a vast minority of products that can achieve critical mass as the more expensive platform. Sure there are small areas in which a more expensive competitor wins out but generally the rule is the item that costs the least has an advantage. 15 years of sales hasn't proven otherwise to me.

You mean like the iPod? The PSP doesn't not dominate but I believe it has achieved critical mass for sustainment in the US. Japan favors the DS. On the other hand Japan seems to be infected with "cute" at the moment. Nintendo is "cuter" than Sony in most cases.

Oh for amusement:

http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152020

Vinea
  • Reply 937 of 2106
    The funny thing is that most people assume the iPod is more expensive than most other equivalent quality players but I've found that generally Apple's not pricing them as so much of a premium.

I tend to chuckly because most competitors seems to want to highlight their FM tuners or voice recording features as some sort of statement of their value prop against Apple.

However Apple must be careful..they WMA horde is gaining. Apple's going to have to impress with the next round of iPods. And even despite the iPods phenomenal success there are people purchasing iRiver, Creative and Sandisk players based on price.

If AI started charging to access the forums tomorrow half of the people here would be gone (heheh not saying the forums aren't worth it).

It'll be interesting to see how many PS3 are used as movie players. It'll be interesting to see how much ground the BDA came make up in price parity for dedicated players. People will pay a premium for a perceived extra quality but I don't see either blue laser format enjoying a quality lead that warrants paying more than %20 for.
  • Reply 938 of 2106
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinea

. . . On the other hand Japan seems to be infected with "cute" at the moment. . .

At the moment? I mean, seriously: we're talking about the land of "Hello Kitty."
  • Reply 939 of 2106
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Interesting...

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=190300953

Quote:

Ricoh said it has developed an optical component that reads and writes all disk formats?Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD, as well as DVD and CD?with one pickup and one objective lens.

Ricoh will show the optical device at the International Optoelectronics Exhibition '06 outside Tokyo on July 12-14. The company intends to offer the device to OEMs by year's end.

• Reply 940 of 2106
    Very interesting link kupan787.

We're pretty much seeing some SoC that'll handle almost everything but the Ricoh piece here seems to add the final piece of the puzzle which is a single drive that can read/write both discs.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of a universal player by the time I'm looking for a player. I'm tempted to go A1 right now but there's no rush.