Woodcrest to power Apple's next-gen Mac Pro desktops

Comments

• Reply 41 of 225
    kerrumkerrum Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

You buy a computer when you need it. Not before, not after. Thinking that there will be a point where you will be completely satisfied with its specs, and where it couldn't possibly get better, is fooling yourself, plain and simple.

There certainly isn't the "right" time to buy a computer, but there are plenty of "wrong" times. For example, do not every but an Apple for Christmas because the January Expo more often than not makes it old news. Same way buying a new G5 from Apple before the WWDC is a mistake.

As for the MacBook Pro, I was waiting for the 17" model to be released. Apple was slow on the release of the larger model so a lot of the components in this model are already getting old (graphics chip and CPU). I know almost as soon as I buy my next computer it will be phased out by something newer and sexier. For what it is worth I'd rather have three to six months of enjoying my "top of the line" computer instead of just one.

-Kerrum
  • Reply 42 of 225
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boots

But the average Joe can pop Woodcrest CPU's into a socket on a PC motherboard.

I don't know about that. There is always some skill involved in lining up the pins, applying the right amount of thermal greece etc. Woodcrest uses Land Grid Array, so if you don't place the CPU correctly, you won't damage the CPU but you may damage the socket on the motherboard.

Check out Sun's 8 Socket X4600 x86 Server that was announced today to see how easy they make it replacing/upgrading a CPU. The CPU is on a separate card/module that just slides in into the HyperTransport backplane.
  • Reply 43 of 225
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Yeah, I couldn't disagree with Chucker more.

The consumer line provided increased the prices by greatly increasing the value -- the mini now includes the $100 wireless and bluetooth upgrade, plus many other included items, all for the $100 price bump.

People don't simply upgrade when they need to. They upgrade when there is a compelling reason to do so. Moving from dual G5's to quad woodcrest at the 2K price would be such a reason, whether I need it or not.
  • Reply 44 of 225
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

The consumer line provided increased the prices by greatly increasing the value -- the mini now includes the $100 wireless and bluetooth upgrade, plus many other included items, all for the $100 price bump.

Wireless and Bluetooth are worth $100?

What "many other included items"?
  • Reply 45 of 225
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Yes, they charged 100 smackers for that upgrade with their G4 PPC chips.

What other items? I'm not going to look it up, sorry.
  • Reply 46 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kerrum

There certainly isn't the "right" time to buy a computer, but there are plenty of "wrong" times. For example, do not every but an Apple for Christmas because the January Expo more often than not makes it old news. Same way buying a new G5 from Apple before the WWDC is a mistake.

Very, very true.

And with WWDC just a few weeks off, now may not be a great time to buy.

Quote:

As for the MacBook Pro, I was waiting for the 17" model to be released. Apple was slow on the release of the larger model so a lot of the components in this model are already getting old (graphics chip and CPU).

The graphics chip was and is mid-end; there is no better graphics chip that could be reasonably put into the MacBook Pro. The Mobility Radeon X1800's heat output is impossible to handle in such a small case. The X1600 is a huge upgrade over the 9700 in the last-generation PowerBook, too.

And the CPU was and is high-end.

So, I don't think it's fair to say the components were getting old. The 17-inch one got 2.16 GHz standard, whereas the 15-inch one, at the time, had 1.83 GHz standard.

Quote:

I know almost as soon as I buy my next computer it will be phased out by something newer and sexier.

Inevitably.

And you can keep being angry over it?

?or you can be happy with what you'll have anyway: a damn fine computer.

Quote:

For what it is worth I'd rather have three to six months of enjoying my "top of the line" computer instead of just one.

Sure, but trust me, six months is pushing it.
  • Reply 47 of 225
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Wireless and Bluetooth are worth $100?

What "many other included items"?

I can think of at least one more thing - Front Row and Apple Remote.
  • Reply 48 of 225
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,533member
    Quote:

Often claimed and always proved wrong.

They said all consumer Macs would get cheaper with the Intel switch. They didn't. Now you're saying the pro desktop will get cheaper with the Intel switch. It won't.

That's right. People keep forgetting this. what happened to the $799 iBook (or MacBook)?

PPC's were CHEAPER that Intel's chips are. People keep forgetting this as well.
  • Reply 49 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kerrum

A.) My plans to buy a MacBook Pro seem to keep getting pushed back further and further...

B.) Apple's 20" LCDs are definately going to need to be reduced in price. Viewsonic and Dell both have competative 20" wide screen monitors selling for between $300-400. I'm hoping Apple a % off all of their LCD monitors. They aren't the only ones with 30" LCDs now. Time for them to get more competative.

The funny thing about that is that when Apple has come out with a new display, it was always cheaper than what was being offered. when it was a new catagory, it was at a price that was much lower than was expected.

But then Apple maintained their pricing at levels, even with price drops, that were ending up, over time, to be higher than the competition. This is hard to understand.
  • Reply 50 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by boots

Apple has a nice chance here to not screw users over, and here's how:

make it so every Mac Pro ships with two CPU sockets, and so that the end user can add a CPU or change out the CPU chips, as their needs, wallet and schedule dictate.

It wasn't possible with G5 due to the exotic and delicate cooling mechanism.

But the average Joe can pop Woodcrest CPU's into a socket on a PC motherboard.

If Apple deliberately leaves the second socket off of the low-end or midrange model's logic board - preventing a later upgrade of adding a matching processor or putting in two brand new processors - that's going to look bad.

Unrelated comment:

if I'm not mistaken, Woodcrest processors require FB-DIMM memory, which could push up system pricing a bit, but could also really raise the roof on RAM capacity in the box:

http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.a...p_intel_fbdimm

Conroe doesn't require FB-DIMM but Conroe doesn't do dual socket either.

How often have we discussed this one?

It's not likely that Apple will do that.
  • Reply 51 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by plokoonpma

Pls chucker.

the new intels are cheaper than older ppc macs, if u take in consideration that almost all models are dual processor, lots more power, faster ddr ram and about the same prices....

And if u load a dell with all the bang and wisthles a ? have, it will cost u the same or a bit more.

Not to mention the OX X and iLive by far the best u can get out there.

Macs arent expensive. that a fact.

Dells are inexpensive but they got damaged soon and the parts are not cheap.

unless u buy complete care that is extra $$$$$$$$$$.

Most people don't look at it that way. They see a rise in price. They see that they are competitive in performance with PC's, finally, and they say; About time they aren't so slow, but Apple raised the price.
  • Reply 52 of 225
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    $ 799.00 G4 iBook......

Not with dual processors

Not with 802.11 / bluetooth standart

Not with Front Row + Apple Remote

Not with 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Not with 667MHz frontside bus

Not with 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet

Not with Mini-DVI port

Not with Extended desktop

Not with Built-in iSight camera

I think it worths the price bump
  • Reply 53 of 225
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    Hey Melgross,

I agree with you that not all the people look the "raise" as a good thing.

But often the same people add a lot of stuff with the BTO option and end paying more than the base price they where supposed to pay.

Also, I worked for Hell (jeje) selling parts for consumer and business division, and let me say that they recieve a huge amount of people that has to call back or order via web more upgrades or usually replacements for component of their computers.

I work now for a Store that its specialized on Macs and HP + some extra PC brands.

We receive more than 10 times more PC's with failures than Macs, and in the case with Macs its rare to see a new model.

Personally I never had a hardware problem with any of mine.

So its hard for me to think that if I pay a few bucks more for a product that has more quality and its very reliable I will lost in the short, medium or long term.

Apart of the cost thing, if my memory dont fool me, the mini and the iMac doesnt have soldered socket, actually I found sometime ago (weeks) that somebody changed processor on a Mac Mini to 2.16 ghz and its was working nice.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91459

Hopefully, the processors wont be soldered and we will be able to upgrade easy and trouble free the new MacPro's.

8)
  • Reply 54 of 225
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That's right. People keep forgetting this. what happened to the $799 iBook (or MacBook)?

PPC's were CHEAPER that Intel's chips are. People keep forgetting this as well.

Apple could easily release a Macbook with a Celeron-M 430 and a 40gb hard drive for that price if they wanted to. Hell, I'd buy it to replace my iBook G3.
  • Reply 55 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by plokoonpma

Hey Melgross,

I agree with you that not all the people look the "raise" as a good thing.

But often the same people add a lot of stuff with the BTO option and end paying more than the base price they where supposed to pay.

Also, I worked for Hell (jeje) selling parts for consumer and business division, and let me say that they recieve a huge amount of people that has to call back or order via web more upgrades or usually replacements for component of their computers.

I work now for a Store that its specialized on Macs and HP + some extra PC brands.

We receive more than 10 times more PC's with failures than Macs, and in the case with Macs its rare to see a new model.

Personally I never had a hardware problem with any of mine.

So its hard for me to think that if I pay a few bucks more for a product that has more quality and its very reliable I will lost in the short, medium or long term.

Apart of the cost thing, if my memory dont fool me, the mini and the iMac doesnt have soldered socket, actually I found sometime ago (weeks) that somebody changed processor on a Mac Mini to 2.16 ghz and its was working nice.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91459

Hopefully, the processors wont be soldered and we will be able to upgrade easy and trouble free the new MacPro's.

8)

I know the commercial end of Hell very well. Good products.

But, back to Apple. People don't mind if THEY make the choice to raise the price by adding features. They don't like to see the base price high. The choice being made for them. Apple sometimes makes the mistake of including features in their base model that raises the price substantially.

I know that Apple feels that those features are the "Apple experience". But many people don't use those features. Yes, Apple makes it simple to buy, by including them. I know all the arguments.

But, nevertheless, many people get turned off by the prices. When they question friends and colleagues, they are told Macs cost more. Then they look at the price and agree. They don't even get to WHY they cost more. The fact that they do is enough.

Apple also uses very expensive custom cases that raise the price.

As far as reliability goes, sure, they are more reliable, despite well publicized flaws.

But as we know from Japanese cars, quality DOESN'T have to cost more. It could even cost LESS. It's the attention to quality that matters. Though Apple has slipped up on a few things as of late.
  • Reply 56 of 225
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Apple could easily release a Macbook with a Celeron-M 430 and a 40gb hard drive for that price if they wanted to. Hell, I'd buy it to replace my iBook G3.

You said the magic words: could, and wanted to.

It's not that they can't. It's that they won't.
  • Reply 57 of 225
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    The data in that table at the bottom seems to suggest they'll stick with Core Solo for the cheaper mini...not good.
  • Reply 58 of 225
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

...snip...

Remember that Apple now competes with other PC manufacturers.

I don't understand this comment.

Apple competes with Windows PC manufacturers no more, or less, than it did before. We can, IMO, neglect the small number of people that would buy an Apple computer but use Windows as the primary OS.

The competition is between Windows and OS X, and changing the hardware hasn't affected that.
  • Reply 59 of 225
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Uh, no?

Apple never planned on using anything from Intel older than Yonah?

(not counting the P4s in the developer machines, duh?)

So get over it already folks, not gonna happen?
  • Reply 60 of 225
    Well, there is a Yonah-based Celeron M; somewhat retardedly/confusingly named, of course. Not sure if it's the 430.