Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 941 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Interesting revelations concerning UK HD DVD launch

AVF: So, can you tell us how much they differ from the US machines?

Tosh: Well, what I can say is that our European players will be based on our second generation chassis, so they will be quite different from the players already available in the US today. I can?t give too much detail but, a few of the drawbacks which were reported to us by users in the USA with our two players there will be solved and therefore additional features not available there will be added to the European players.

Yeah baby.

AVF: Can you tell us when PC HD-DVD drives will be available?

Tosh: They should be available this summer, indeed within one month of IFS. However these drives will be available very soon in our Toshiba laptops.

AVF: Will this include re-writable HD-DVD?s?

Tosh They should be available about one month after the HD-DVD drives.
  • Reply 942 of 2106
    Blu-Ray launch in Europe may be delayed until 2007

I think they're definitely a shortage of much needed parts. Hang in their buddies you'll get your players. We'll beta test them for you.
  • Reply 943 of 2106
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

AVF: So, can you tell us how much they differ from the US machines?

Tosh: Well, what I can say is that our European players will be based on our second generation chassis, so they will be quite different from the players already available in the US today. I can?t give too much detail but, a few of the drawbacks which were reported to us by users in the USA with our two players there will be solved and therefore additional features not available there will be added to the European players.

So when will we see these "2nd gen players in the US? And does anyone know if I purchase a "Europe" HD-DVD player, will it play HD-DVDs bought in teh US (is there region coding?)
  • Reply 944 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Hang in their buddies you'll get your players. We'll beta test them for you. [/B]

You mean just like Americans beta tested HD-DVD per what you quoted from Toshiba earlier about "a few of the drawbacks which were reported to us by users in the USA with our two players there will be solved"? BTW, only a few? I guess Toshiba can't fix them all before the Euros get them, eh?
  • Reply 945 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

So when will we see these "2nd gen players in the US? And does anyone know if I purchase a "Europe" HD-DVD player, will it play HD-DVDs bought in teh US (is there region coding?)

That'll be interesting to see. The US players have no regions yet but with the UK launch things could change. There are slight rumors of a 1.5 generation product out for the holidays. We'll see..I have my doubts about that one.

Quote:

You mean just like Americans beta tested HD-DVD per what you quoted from Toshiba earlier about "a few of the drawbacks which were reported to us by users in the USA with our two players there will be solved"? BTW, only a few? I guess Toshiba can't fix them all before the Euros get them, eh?

Well they'll definitely have to fix the PAL support. The US launch was beneficial just as the Samsung BD launch was beneficial as well. Get product into the channel and then fix the issues that arise.
  • Reply 946 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Blu-Ray launch in Europe may be delayed until 2007

I think they're definitely a shortage of much needed parts. Hang in their buddies you'll get your players. We'll beta test them for you.

I'm pretty sure the shortage of blue laser diodes is something that is not unique to just Blu-ray. We'll see if there is any real truth to this report in the next coming months, or if this will go down as yet another report from the Inquirer like their one on the PS3's memory allocation--unfounded and ridiculous.

On another note, Paramount finally announced their titles for HD DVD...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...DVD_Titles/130

Also, Sony announced another slate of titles due out very soon as well...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-ray_Slate/132
  • Reply 947 of 2106

Good, I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray releases...
  • Reply 948 of 2106
    $150 Million HD DVD add campaign coming

Quote:

TOKYO ?: Proponents of HD DVD video format will launch a $150 million promotional campaign to ensure the format takes off in the world largest entertainment market.

The seven companies?Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, Paramount Home Entertainment, HP, Intel, Microsoft and Toshiba?will jointly form a trade organization named the North American HD DVD Promotional Group Inc. The group will debut at the Video Software Dealers Association 2006 conference in Las Vegas from July 11-13.

Each member company will contribute funding to the campaign, which is expected to reach $150 million during the 2006 holiday season.

The nonprofit group will carry out the HD DVD hardware and software promotion via major consumer media outlets, including television, print, online, and outdoor signs. It will comarket HD DVD hardware with hundreds of HD DVD titles expected on store shelves by the end of 2006.

The campaign will also include an 18-wheeler called the "HD DVD Mobile Experience," which hits the road this summer as part of the nationwide publicity campaign.

About 40 HD DVD titles are already on market, and the total will grow to about 150 titles by year's end, according to a Toshiba spokesman.

Toshiba is currently the sole supplier of HD DVD players. It has been offering two models, one with a price tag of $499 and another at $799. Toshiba is aiming to sell up to 700,000 HD DVD players by next March.

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/

Does this mean some HP branded HD DVD is coming??
  • Reply 949 of 2106
    Okay, I was excited to read this:

Quote:

It will comarket HD DVD hardware with hundreds of HD DVD titles expected on store shelves by the end of 2006.

Until I was brought up short by this:

Quote:

About 40 HD DVD titles are already on market, and the total will grow to about 150 titles by year's end, according to a Toshiba spokesman.

There's a big difference between "hundreds" and 150. I'd say they're going to have to pull their socks up if they're even going to hit 150, at the current rate of dribs and drabs. We got a few titles this week and I think that's it until August 8, correct?

And just so you won't think I'm in one camp or another on this, that goes for Blu-ray too. I thought one of the only benefits of the format war was that both sides would try to bury the other in discs, and we'd have tons of movies to choose from very quickly. Apparently not, since I don't feel a burning need to upgrade my viewing experience of "The Punisher." Both sides need to get some drool-worthy titles out there to keep momentum going once the first wave of early adopters runs its course.
  • Reply 950 of 2106
    There's more than 50 HD DVD titles but you get different numbers quoted because some quote worldwide numbers which will include the discs already shipping in Japan and a lot of the Studio Canal stuff.

Plus I notice that they often quote major studio stuff but HD Net will have about 20 titels of their own. Smaller studios won't get the pub but they'll be there with product.
  • Reply 951 of 2106
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Will one of these two formats die already, and soon, so that I can get a player and some films. I think I'll be sticking with good ole DVDs for a while yet...
  • Reply 952 of 2106
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

And just so you won't think I'm in one camp or another on this, that goes for Blu-ray too. I thought one of the only benefits of the format war was that both sides would try to bury the other in discs, and we'd have tons of movies to choose from very quickly. Apparently not, since I don't feel a burning need to upgrade my viewing experience of "The Punisher." Both sides need to get some drool-worthy titles out there to keep momentum going once the first wave of early adopters runs its course.

If they put LOTR-EE on HD-DVD I'd buy it and a HD-DVD player tomorrow. Toshiba should have paid New Line to make LOTR a launch title...EE or regular.

I'm a Browncoat and all but Serenity is not a $500 title. Frankly, there isn't a $500+ title (individually or as a collection) being released in the near future IMHO.

Vinea
  • Reply 953 of 2106
    Quote:

I'm a Browncoat and all but Serenity is not a $500 title. Frankly, there isn't a $500+ title (individually or as a collection) being released in the near future IMHO

What about these

Band of Brothers

Batman Begins

Braveheart

Friends

Seven

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Manchurian Candidate

The Matrix Trilogy

The Shawshank Redemption

The Ultimate Star Trek Movie Collection

Yeah baby!
  • Reply 954 of 2106
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

What about these

Band of Brothers

Batman Begins

Braveheart

Friends

Seven

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Manchurian Candidate

The Matrix Trilogy

The Shawshank Redemption

The Ultimate Star Trek Movie Collection

Yeah baby!

Yah, okay...can I buy Band of Brothers on HD-DVD? No. LOTR? No. Do they actually have an announced release date? No.

Of that list Mancurian Candidate has a release date (8/1).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665702

Fluff. Same for BR. Species? Stealth? Basic Instinct 2? Mmmm...yes, that's real exciting there.

Yeah baby?!? Not quite.

Vinea
  • Reply 955 of 2106
    Man you're a tough customer.

So you think that Q1 2007 when these discs are shipping and 2nd generation hardware is you'll hop on the train?
  • Reply 956 of 2106
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Yeah baby!

Yeah, baby, but "Batman Begins" and the "Matrix" movies are from Warners, and they've announced they're releasing on both formats. New Line is a unit of Time Warner, but I think they're still in the HD DVD camp, so "LOTR" will be HD DVD exclusively, until and unless the format starts to falter.

The one thing we can count on is that nobody yet has ever overestimated the avarice of Hollywood. Some of these studios might scream loudly that they're firmly behind one format or the other, but as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow, they will crumble at the first sign that they're losing a few dollars by not supporting the other.
  • Reply 957 of 2106
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Man you're a tough customer.

So you think that Q1 2007 when these discs are shipping and 2nd generation hardware is you'll hop on the train?

Pretty much what I am waiting for. As of right now, based on what is released for both formats, there isn't much that I would want to buy. There are 4 or 5 HD-DVD titles I would purchase, and 2 Blu-Ray titles. I see what is coming, and am looking forward to the HD-DVD releases (LOTR and Matrix are high on my list). But here is the thing. There are quite a few titles I wouldn't mind RENTING. Pretty much the day that I can walk into my Blockbuster and rent HD-DVD titles will be the day that I purchase. But it will be weighted against 2nd gen hardware (or hardware from other manufactures), depending on release dates of that. Last thing I want to do is purchase a first gen unit which gets replaced 2 months after my purchase.
  • Reply 958 of 2106
    Warner announces first Blu-ray titles...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Quote:

We've got some breaking high-def format news to report this afternoon. Warner Bros has just officially announced their first Blu-ray Disc releases. Training Day, Good Night, and Good Luck, Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang and Rumor Has It will all street on 8/1. All of these titles are already available on HD-DVD except Good Night, and Good Luck (but we expect that to change soon), so this will be the first really good opportunity to directly compare the two formats. Training Day and Good Night, and Good Luck will carry an SRP of $28.99. The other two titles will sell for SRP $34.99. There's no word yet on the extras to be included, but we expect more on that shortly. Warner also says that they'll be announcing additional waves of Blu-ray Disc titles soon.

• Reply 959 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Yeah, baby, but "Batman Begins" and the "Matrix" movies are from Warners, and they've announced they're releasing on both formats. New Line is a unit of Time Warner, but I think they're still in the HD DVD camp, so "LOTR" will be HD DVD exclusively, until and unless the format starts to falter.

The one thing we can count on is that nobody yet has ever overestimated the avarice of Hollywood. Some of these studios might scream loudly that they're firmly behind one format or the other, but as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow, they will crumble at the first sign that they're losing a few dollars by not supporting the other.

Just wanted to point out that Lord of the Rings will NOT be HD DVD exlusive as New Line has pledged Blu-ray support. In fact, it is right on their official home page...

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-1...s/4/Index.html

Studio support for Blu-ray is as follows...

Lion?s Gate, MGM, Paramount, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures and Television, (including Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Hollywood Pictures Home Video, Touchstone Home Entertainment, Miramax Home Entertainment, Dimension Home Video and Disney DVD) Warner Bros. (including New Line Cinema and HBO Video) have publicly announced their support for the Blu-ray Disc format.

Studio support for HD DVD is as follows...

Paramount Pictures, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros. Studios (including New Line Cinema)

So given the huge studio support advantage, I think Blu-ray movies will be coming in droves in a few months.
  • Reply 960 of 2106
    Sony to lift capacity to make Blu-ray movie, video game discs to 10 million a month

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx...fx2875397.html
    Quote:

TOKYO (XFN-ASIA) - Sony Corp intends to raise its global capacity to produce Blue-ray movie and video game discs to 10 mln copies per month by the end of this year, the company said.

Unit Sony Music Manufacturing, based near Nagoya, will boost its capacity to 2.5 mln per month in the fall here from 300,000 at present, a Sony statements says.

Sony will produce 5 mln discs per month in the US and 2.5 mln in Europe.