Peter Oppenheimer drops MAJOR "iPhone" hint

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple files a new and timely trademark for DOPOD in Japan. Check it out!

"Apple has filed their new trademark under International Classes 9, 38 and 42 which are fully described below. The most important International Class in this group is perhaps class 38 which covers telecommunications, communication and telecommunication services. The good news, of course, is that it appears that Apple has a new class of iPod on the way. An iPod which is going to DO a lot more than their market winning iPod delivers today."
  • Reply 102 of 111
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    3G has been up, and running in Japan, Europe for like 10 years +. So what is next?

This is what comes to mind for me being the the US is so late to the technology game when it comes to mobile telephone technology.

If anyone is interested here is an article that pretty much gives an overview of what my thoughts are on the matter, and ponders he question of where do we go now that 3G as we know it will soon be considered a bottleneck.

Looking beyond 3G wireless
  • Reply 103 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

3G has been up, and running in Japan, Europe for like 10 years +. So what is next?

This is what comes to mind for me being the the US is so late to the technology game when it comes to mobile telephone technology.

If anyone is interested here is an article that pretty much gives an overview of what my thoughts are on the matter, and ponders he question of where do we go now that 3G as we know it will soon be considered a bottleneck.

Looking beyond 3G wireless

Quote from that article you linked to, "It's a tough call. There's no doubt 3G wireless will be around for at least several years, and systems such as HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A will garner millions of satisfied subscribers. There's also no doubt 3G technology will continue to be enhanced. However, at some point it might make more sense to adopt a new technology platform that can carry the industry well beyond the capabilities of HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A."

A bit premature to abandon 3G.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Apple files a new and timely trademark for DOPOD in Japan. Check it out!

"Apple has filed their new trademark under International Classes 9, 38 and 42 which are fully described below. The most important International Class in this group is perhaps class 38 which covers telecommunications, communication and telecommunication services. The good news, of course, is that it appears that Apple has a new class of iPod on the way. An iPod which is going to DO a lot more than their market winning iPod delivers today."

That is cool because one of the best looking mobile phones Japan has to offer is made by DoCoMo. It almost looks like the iPod video mockup with the wide screen on one side that people were all droling over.

Here is a shot of the same phone model in different colors.

Damn thing looks like an iPod already.

Just change the colors to all white and you have it.

• Thing has 2 million pixels (4 million recorded pixels)

• Digital Zoom Up to 28X / 65 steps.

• Color LCD\tQVGA TFT LCD; approx. 2.8 inches; 262,144 colors

• Size (Height x Width x Thickness)1 109 x 50 x 19.5 mm

• Weight approx. 116 g

• Continuous Talk Time Voice communications: approx. 165 min.

• Videophone: approx. 90 min.

• External Memory miniSD? Memory Card (optional)

• Infrard Communications -

The Phonebook, mail, melodies, images, i-motion, and more can be exchanged with equipment such as other mobile phones and PCs equipped with an infrared communications functions.

• Music Replay-

Too much to list. I'd love to have one of these with iTunes support, Maybe iTMS and a 2GB miniSD card.

Ohhh That would be the biggest thing. Apple would totally concur the mobile telephone industry in the US.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Quote:

Quote from that article you linked to, "It's a tough call. There's no doubt 3G wireless will be around for at least several years, and systems such as HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A will garner millions of satisfied subscribers. There's also no doubt 3G technology will continue to be enhanced. However, at some point it might make more sense to adopt a new technology platform that can carry the industry well beyond the capabilities of HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A."

A bit premature to abandon 3G.

It's popping up all over though. IMO with the population in the US, and the amount of mobile phone users we have once we get 3G we will bottleneck it.

Just do a google search for "Beyond 3G networks" and you'll have more opinions, and information than you can handle. Personally I think once we go 3G everyone will want the tech, and once that happens it'll be bottlenecked within a year in the US.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9187863,00.htm

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/32883.html
  • Reply 106 of 111
    @ onlooker, are you saying that you think Apple might become an MVNO and use a technology that bypasses 3G performance wise, as in comes into the mobile phone world with its first offering ahead of every other existing phone company out there.

Somewhat unrelated, when apple does bring out the "iPod Phone?" the iTMS will be ready as the fastest selling ringtone and mobile phone games download service in the world. If Apple does this iPhone thing right it could double the companies worth in three years, and that's not including any other Apple products whatsoever.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    Quote:

@ onlooker, are you saying that you think Apple might become an MVNO and use a technology that bypasses 3G performance wise, as in comes into the mobile phone world with its first offering ahead of every other existing phone company out there.

No. I'm not even sure where you got that idea. I was just saying that 3G is probably not going to last as long as analysts predict. Apple, if they get into this, should start looking at newer emerging technologies right away, so they can at least try to have some backward compatibility in the near future, and so they can lay out the best possible rout to take for future products that will last.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

Big question I have is, how is Apple going to go into a crowded and highly competitive cell phone market?

They won't just go out there to be "another cell phone option" for the masses. Even a prettier one that's easier to use and plays music.

My take is that they'll release a phone designed for a very specific market segment -- Mac lover fan boys who use iLife and iPod and iChat AV -- and make everyone else envious. The first Apple "phone" will be geared toward taking that "everything multimedia" experience with you. Change the paradigm slowly from "talk" to "express" and "connect".

Thoughts?

People have pushing stuff like that for ages but I don't want it to ever happen.

If we get vid screens on phones and now conference instead of talk that's not more convient to me.

I can't lie to a boss if he/she can see me.

Can't lie to a girlfriend about where you are or your not with someone else.

I can't hold it on my shoulder and type while I talk, or use the toilet ora million of the other things I do on the phone.

Having "video chats" instead of phone convorsations makes everyone have to focus on the convorsation now.

I personally never want that.

Technology has come far enough that if I want to chat to someone I can. if I want to call someone I can.

I don't want vid chats to become the norm and have everyone expect it of me.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

People have pushing stuff like that for ages but I don't want it to ever happen.

If we get vid screens on phones and now conference instead of talk that's not more convient to me.

I have a phone that can video call. Know how often I've used it? Once. To see if it worked. It did, but it still isn't useful!

3G is good for other things though, like data downloading.

People will find their own use for the tech. If video calling is as daft as it seems, people won't use it just because it's there. And there's always an option to answer just the audio part of an incoming video call

Amorya
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

People will find their own use for the tech. If video calling is as daft as it seems, people won't use it just because it's there. And there's always an option to answer just the audio part of an incoming video call

I agree.