Intel: Merom notebooks to arrive late next month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    One more serious problem with my MBP and I get a new one (California Lemon Law)... maybe it will work out to where I get a Merom based machine .
  • Reply 42 of 68
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mowenbrown

I think we'll see speed bumps and better specs, but I am holding onto my PB until Sata Rosa arrives in Feb. I think that'll be when we see and first true redesign of the PB/MBP from stem to stern....

I think you're right. Santa Rosa is scheduled to ship around April but Intel has been advancing its timetables right along. My guess would be that the first Merom-based MBPs will be out in early Sept., if not sooner, and will migrate to Santa Rose in March.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

I think you're right. Santa Rosa is scheduled to ship around April but Intel has been advancing its timetables right along. My guess would be that the first Merom-based MBPs will be out in early Sept., if not sooner, and will migrate to Santa Rose in March.

Is Santa Rosa a huge deal? Forgive my skepticism, but does Merom have FSB issues? I thought Santa Rosa was just a better (800 vs 667) FSB and a pre-N wireless option.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alternativepiano

I'm thinking of buying a mac mini, but should I now wait for the core 2 duo to come out, how long do think that will take?

ALso should I buy the next mac desktop that is coming out next month or wait for the next version?

Hard to begin to answer that question, since "For What?" naturally follows.

The Mac mini is a tremendous bargain and a great stop-gap/back-up at any time for most casual (i.e. non-Geek or graphics/music professonals). It all depends on what hardware you already have on hand since you will be buying your own screen and keyboards to complete the box. I recently replaced a 500/G4^3 with a maxed out mac mini dual core and have been very pleased.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by CDonG4

One more serious problem with my MBP and I get a new one (California Lemon Law)... maybe it will work out to where I get a Merom based machine .

Boy, aren't you the optimist
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

automagically

LOVE IT!!
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

LOVE IT!!

I'm not kidding. I expect the MacBook's Merom switch to be an un-noticed press release, a new Apple.com banner "Now 40% faster", and some blog posts when a lucky guys thinks he's buying a Yonah and gets a Merom.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm stupid, is Merom significantly higher-clocked, or would the speed increase be architectural?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'm stupid, is Merom significantly higher-clocked, or would the speed increase be architectural?

Exact same clock-speeds, similar debut prices. It's an architecture change entirely. Except that the 2.33 version is available at launch instead of two months later.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Lets get some Firewire 800 back on the 15" MBP yeah? and some DL-DVD burning too... redonkulous, I understand there were issues regarding the initial release but come on Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Is Santa Rosa a huge deal? Forgive my skepticism, but does Merom have FSB issues? I thought Santa Rosa was just a better (800 vs 667) FSB and a pre-N wireless option.

It will include upgrades to the wireless chipset to 802.11n aka Intel: Kedron. Also, the santa rosa platform will include software that pre-caches frequently used data from the hard disk drive to NAND, the cache providing very rapid access to system or launch files.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    The big thing I'd like to know is whether or not the new Macbook/Macbook Pro can sport up to 4GB of Ram.

I don't think we will see new Macbooks at WWDC, but at Paris is completely possible.

I'd like to know when the GMA965 comes out and some possible performance benchmarks.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    When is the Expo in Paris?
  • Reply 54 of 68
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    WWDC is in 1 week.

Expo is in 6 weeks.

MWSF is way the hell off.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    I hope it's before September 16th so I can get a cheap dscounted Ipod at the same time. First Mac and I'm stoked.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Additionaly, do you think that the pricing will be similar or a little lower considering that the pricing usually drops a little after they release a new revision/products.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by JadeEmpirePlaya

I hope it's before September 16th so I can get a cheap dscounted Ipod at the same time. First Mac and I'm stoked.

You will be very happy, even if you do not wait until the "latest" and greatest show up, since unless you are waiting or the PowerMac G5 desktop replacement, the increments are likely to be small-- now don't hold me to that, now

I will stand by my response to your, "I'm stoked." I do believe you will be vy happy.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by JadeEmpirePlaya

Additionaly, do you think that the pricing will be similar or a little lower considering that the pricing usually drops a little after they release a new revision/products.

Prolly same price. Merom's aren't cheap. There's no other reason to think Apple would putting it together for cheaper, hence no price cut.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    antianti Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RoamingGnome

The big thing I'd like to know is whether or not the new Macbook/Macbook Pro can sport up to 4GB of Ram.

The current Napa chipset is limited to 2GB as far as I know. (despite some PC manufacturers claim 4GB max with 2GB memory modules)

This won't change with a 64bit CPU.

If the 2GB limit is just due to the current size of memory modules, then I would like apple to hardwire at least 1GB on the mainboard. Leaving 2 Slots for expansion with cheap 1GB modules.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by CDonG4

Lets get some Firewire 800 back on the 15" MBP yeah? and some DL-DVD burning too... redonkulous, I understand there were issues regarding the initial release but come on Apple.

I know, god. The five people that used either of those are really upset.