Apple to replace faulty 15-inch MacBook Pro batteries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I won the battery lottery!

I haven't had any problems though - what's the issue supposed to be? I wonder if you could get the new one, and then just keep the old one as a back-up?

Nope, you've gotta return the old one, otherwise you get charged. At least it was like that when I got a replacement for my power adaptor under warranty...
  • Reply 22 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Nope, you've gotta return the old one, otherwise you get charged. At least it was like that when I got a replacement for my power adaptor under warranty...

Probably so they ship them back to their supplier for credit or to force concessioins on future orders.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Apple is such a great company! They KEEP MAKING FAULTY BATTERIES and then KEEP GETTING PATTED ON THE BACK for responding to upset customers.

Think of all the down time the customers (each one is minor, but add them together...) have to endure, while Apple doesn't get hurt.

How many times have there been battery recalls? It is rather sad the frequency with which this happens.

The right thing for them to do is to make batteries that work.

apple doesn't "make" the batteries. they buy them from a battery manufacturer.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Apple's name is on the product that the customer receives. Apple therefore has all the responsibility.

...and they are responding accordingly. Good job by Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

If I'm buying my notebook from Apple, I hold Apple responsible for its quality control (or lack thereof). I don't care if they use the same factory as ASUS or Dell.

It's not my problem. If they're going to charge $2000 for an entry-level pro laptop, they should have a pro quality control team to work on it. That's all I'm saying.

okay. and what do you suppose they do? how does apple's "pro quality control team" (whatever that means) find a bad batch of laptop batteries from their supplier? stress test the batteries for 9 months?

i think there are times when you just can't anticipate this kind of problems. how are you going to know if the battery your supplier is selling to you is going to "get fat" after a few months of usage?

i think we need to applaud apple for taking the initiative here. they identified the bad lot of batteries and are acting to replace them. rock on, apple.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    cali4nrcali4nr Posts: 12member
    Quote:

It's not my problem. If they're going to charge $2000 for an entry-level pro laptop, they should have a pro quality control team to work on it. That's all I'm saying.

"Entry-level pro"?? Is that a new category?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    When was the last mass-mailing on an IBM ThinkPad or a Dell Whateveron? Or a Sony ItsCute?
  • Reply 28 of 44
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

okay. and what do you suppose they do? how does apple's "pro quality control team" (whatever that means) find a bad batch of laptop batteries from their supplier? stress test the batteries for 9 months?

But it's not just batteries. It's logic boards, discoloration, strange "mooo" sounds coming from MacBooks, etc. This is not an isolated incident; this keeps happening. It happened last time with iBook G4s.

Quote:

i think we need to applaud apple for taking the initiative here. they identified the bad lot of batteries and are acting to replace them. rock on, apple.

They are "taking the initiative" so they can cover their ass in case of a lawsuit. Just like any other company.

Quote:

"Entry-level pro"?? Is that a new category?

With a careful, but short re-reading of the sentence, we understand that it's the entry-level notebook of the pro category of notebooks. That means; in the MacBook Pro category, the least expensive, entry-level notebook.

And we have a winner.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by AppleInsider

..."The affected batteries do not pose a safety risk. You may continue to use your current battery until a replacement arrives," the company said...

Yes, no safety risk, continue using until this happens (image below)

• Reply 30 of 44
    I can't believe no one posted that awesome picture of a Dell laptop going up in flames (because of faulty batteries) before me. Classic, classic stuff. Yes, continue to use your [possibly] faulty Apple battery. UNTIL IT FRIGGIN MELTS YOUR MACBOOKPRO, BURNS YOUR LAP, OR CAUSE YOUR NOTEBOOK TO SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST....WTF.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Robin Hood

I love battery recalls! My battery is fine, but it does match the affected serial numbers, so what I am going to do is wait a few months for my batteries capacity to fall (like happens with all rechargeable batteries), and than get me a brand new one for free.

Please, get your battery replaced immediately. Don't take the risk. Seriously dude.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

This is not an isolated incident; this keeps happening. It happened last time with iBook G4s.

In the context of 600,000 notebooks sold in Q3, it is pretty close to an isolated incident.

Apple executives said nothing about an excessive warranty expense in the Q3 conference call. They always do if a major repair/replacement situation is occurring.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Thank you lundy for that voice of proportionate sanity. Nobody likes a bad battery, much less an exploding one.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

They are "taking the initiative" so they can cover their ass in case of a lawsuit. Just like any other company.

You say it like it's such a bad thing to do. This is a smart move by apple, do we agree on this? It's a good move for the consumers, more importantly.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    jtusjtus Posts: 18member
    I filled out the on line form on Monday and by Wednesday the new battery was here. I don't care that some people can never be happy but I think that is GREAT customer service.

Try buying a HP, Compac or a Sony and see what realy poor customer service is as well as poor product quality. I have had all of them and Apple blows them all out of the water.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Apple's name is on the product that the customer receives. Apple therefore has all the responsibility.

That is a very odd way of looking at it.

I don't blame Chevrolet for putting crappy tires on vehicles. I blame the tire manufacturer.

While Apple has some blame, they have some blame but shouldn't be roasted.

Give me a new battery for my 1.5 year old iBook baby!!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

That is a very odd way of looking at it.

I don't blame Chevrolet for putting crappy tires on vehicles. I blame the tire manufacturer.

While Apple has some blame, they have some blame but shouldn't be roasted.

Give me a new battery for my 1.5 year old iBook baby!!

You do realize this thread is almost a month old!!!
  • Reply 38 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

You do realize this thread is almost a month old!!!

So? Should have somehow lessen the value of it and my comments 30 days later?

Somebody stop those BlueRay/HD threads STAT! \
  • Reply 39 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

None of the documentation says anything about being charged. It just says to return it so that it can be disposed of properly. I didn't give them my credit card number, so unless they look up my iTunes credit card number, I don't see how they even can charge me.

I'm going to keep it, especially after the news today that these are not a safety risk.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I'm going to keep it, especially after the news today that these are not a safety risk.

Yes. No safety risk. Obviously you don't care about your groin area or your hands

http://www.apple.com/au/support/batt...ange/2006/faq/

"I have one of the recalled batteries. Should I stop using it?

Apple urges you to stop using your battery and order a replacement battery immediately."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...8/s1723666.htm

http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_art...siness%20Today