Apple to replace faulty 15-inch MacBook Pro batteries

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer has initiated a worldwide battery exchange program for certain rechargeable batteries that were included with its 15-inch MacBook Pro notebook computer systems.

"We recently discovered that some 15-inch MacBook Pro batteries supplied to Apple do not meet our high standards for battery performance," the company wrote in a message on its support Web site. "To give our users the best experience possible, we will replace these batteries for customers free of charge."

The exchange program is in response to reports of 15-inch MacBook Pro batteries that have become swollen or deformed due an excessive amount of heat.

According to Apple, the affected batteries may have been included in 15-inch MacBook Pro systems that were sold from February 2006 through May 2006. The affected batteries have model number A1175 and a 12-digit serial number that ends with U7SA, U7SB or U7SC.

To view the model and serial numbers located on the bottom of the battery, customers must remove the battery from the computer and turn it upside down. The battery serial number is located above the barcode.

Customers whose MacBook Pro battery meets the aforementioned criteria should call Apple with their MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro battery serial numbers ready. Apple says it will take about 3-5 business days for customers to receive their replacement battery.

"The affected batteries do not pose a safety risk. You may continue to use your current battery until a replacement arrives," the company said.

When customers receive their replacement battery, Apple also asks that they use the same shipping packaging and included prepaid shipping label to return the recalled battery to Apple for analysis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I really like Apple's way of responding to the consumer. They acknowledged the problem with the scratching nanos, the macbook's orange discoloration and now this.

they have great sense of quality service. i'm impressed.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I love battery recalls! My battery is fine, but it does match the affected serial numbers, so what I am going to do is wait a few months for my batteries capacity to fall (like happens with all rechargeable batteries), and than get me a brand new one for free.

I agree completely with the previous poster. Apple usually does the right thing.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    I bought my 15" MPB during the affected period, but the battery has a very different serial number. So they probably used multiple vendors or plants. I've had no battery problems.

My spare battery, bought a little while later, is also of a different serial number range.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    xav3xxav3x Posts: 36member
    I saw this coming._ any who, at least they are good about replacing them.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    I've been trying to get a replacement battery for mine for a month and a half, but the local AASP kept screwing things up and giving me the run around, plus Apple hasnt had many in stock over the time. Finally i told them to go to hell and used the webpage at Apple yesterday to get a battery sent. Its getting old not being able to use the laptop without it being plugged in. My battery is so bad and expanded so far, it wont even fit in the laptop anymore, and everytime i move the wrong way and knock out the MagSafe power connector, my laptop is nice and turns off.

At least before the end of the year an Apple Store is opening close to me so i dont have to drive 400 miles one way to have that option.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Apple is such a great company! They KEEP MAKING FAULTY BATTERIES and then KEEP GETTING PATTED ON THE BACK for responding to upset customers.

Think of all the down time the customers (each one is minor, but add them together...) have to endure, while Apple doesn't get hurt.

How many times have there been battery recalls? It is rather sad the frequency with which this happens.

The right thing for them to do is to make batteries that work.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    craigb6craigb6 Posts: 16member
    Yeah battery recalls are bad and should not happen, but for some people this could be really good. They may have already used a couple of hundred charges/discharges and then get a free new battery.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

they have great sense of quality service. i'm impressed.

Yet their quality control is a total disaster. I'm impressed too.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yet their quality control is a total disaster. I'm impressed too.

You do realise these problems are not just Apple laptops? Dell has dozens of exploding laptop incidents on file, and friends of mine have had awful troubles with Acer and even Vaio laptops.

That's not an excuse, though. What's different is that Apple tends to make things right, even if it sometimes takes a few weeks. You do realise they have to diagnose the problem before they can do a recall, for example?

I had a problem with my MBP. A broken logic board. I brought it into my local repair shop, and picked it up THE NEXT DAY. That's service. Now with the battery, even though my battery appears fine, I already have over 100 cycles on it and will be getting a new one for free.

Yes, quality control is an issue in the computer industry. By the way, I also hope you realise that Apple don't even do their own QA or factories anymore. They're all made by the likes of Asus, who also churn out Vaio's and other laptops. And they don't make the logic/motherboards either. Those are developed by Intel.

I'm not saying Apple shouldn't push Intel, Asus and others to strive for more quality, though. You just gotta be sure you know who's at fault here.

Or maybe Apple should start their own factories in the US and Europe again? I mean, it'll only mean the MacBook will double in price, but who cares right, because they'll be able to do their own QA!!?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

They KEEP MAKING FAULTY BATTERIES

Except they don't make the batteries.

They will have to get a credit from whatever assembler/manufacturer is responsible.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I don't understand people who curse Apple's Quality Assurance for faulty parts that they didn't make. It's highly illogical to put all the blame on Apple. Apple has influence with their suppliers, but in the end, it's the supplier QA that's the problem.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Apple's name is on the product that the customer receives. Apple therefore has all the responsibility.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think we need the opinion of an expert in the field of battery storage to make a comment here. What is happening, and why is this so (apparently) common? Are there extraordinary difficulties in maintaining q.c. on these products, or is it really the fault of the manufacturers?
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

You just gotta be sure you know who's at fault here.

If I'm buying my notebook from Apple, I hold Apple responsible for its quality control (or lack thereof). I don't care if they use the same factory as ASUS or Dell.

It's not my problem. If they're going to charge $2000 for an entry-level pro laptop, they should have a pro quality control team to work on it. That's all I'm saying.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Apple's name is on the product that the customer receives. Apple therefore has all the responsibility.

++ FTW!
  • Reply 16 of 44
    I had the swollen battery issue. Battery wouldnt keep up a charge. I called up apple and they shipped me a replacement in two days-no questions asked.

I took some pictures of the swollen battery if anyone's interested...
  • Reply 17 of 44
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Of course they have the responsibility, and they're taking it! It's who's to blame that's in question. And you simply CANNOT put all the blame on apple! You just can't! You can maybe put part of the blame on them, but there is simply no way you can put it all on them.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Were they refusing to replace the bad batteries before?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Apple is such a great company! They KEEP MAKING FAULTY BATTERIES and then KEEP GETTING PATTED ON THE BACK for responding to upset customers.

Someone keeps making faulty batteries for them, and they keep contacting customers to replace them-- no questions asked-- generally long before the battery fails for the customer. THAT'S why they get (and deserve) a pat on the back.

I filled out the form for my wife's laptop even through the battery is still working fine so far. A new one's being shipped out this week.

Total time spent: probably around 10-15 minutes. If it had actually failed and Apple had waited until then, then required an RMA and such, it would have taken away days. Yay Apple!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I won the battery lottery!

I haven't had any problems though - what's the issue supposed to be? I wonder if you could get the new one, and then just keep the old one as a back-up?