New iMac in Sept or Jan?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Like a few others people here on the forum, I'm a little disappointed that Apple didn't update their iMac or their MB(P) machines. While I'm a little surprised by that decision it made sense to have focused the WWDC on the Dev community (Intel transition complete, OS preview, etc).



So, my question to you folks is whether the current thinking/speculation is a September launch for an updated iMac and/or MB(P), or whether the timeline is more realistically something like January at the MacWorld Expo? My personal opinion is that Apple will aim for a January update (is there really a compelling reason for them to release a 64-bit based system until Leopard gets closer to release?).



I'd be curious to hear other thoughts on this - especially since I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new iMac!



--DotComCTO
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    thakkthakk Posts: 3member
    The Apple Store is down again at the moment with the "Be Right Back" sticky...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Im also not happy about an iMac update. Im waiting for a new processor though, and you should too. Apple now needs to stay current with the PC world. I believe other companies will have the new processors in before the year is up. I think the iMac will be updated soon anywhere between now and September. October/Sept will be iPod month.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    The iMac certainly isn't going to wait until January. Apple isn't hamstrung my chip supplies anymore, and they can't allow that much time to go by without an update. I expect an iMac update by the Paris expo at the very latest.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    OK. So, let me add some other thoughts:



    1. Does it seem logical to release an update prior to Paris on Sept. 12? Would Apple want to take the spotlight off the new Mac Pro so soon?



    2. I spoke with Apple both via chat and phone yesterday. Here's the quote from the chat, "I reassure you that the processor which the iMac is running on, the Intel Core Duo is fantastic and I do not foresee and immediate change in processors as we have just switched all of our Macs to Intel." Here's one more quote from the same chat, "If you are having reservations about the processor currently running on our Macs, I cannot push you to buy. I can only reassure you that our current machines are amazing and I do not foresee an immediate switch." Granted, the people taking orders are most certainly not "in the know" as to when Apple will release a new product, but it is a little more food for thought.



    Does that change anyone's mind about a September versus a January release?



    FYI - I personally need to purchase before mid-November as my machine is being partially paid for by a home owners insurance claim (lightning damage that took out my entire ham radio station as well as my computer).



    --DotComCTO
  • Reply 5 of 23
    no not really. first of all its not an immediate change. its been 7 months already since the release of the iMac. i dont know your sources so we all just have to go by what we all think, plus apple doesnt let people know anything. of course they are gonna say whats out now is fantastic, because it is, but it will be even more fantastic with a conroe or merom. i think it happens in the next 2 months.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 915member
    Right now I think it is a shortage of chips. When Intel is delivering in sufficient quantities then we'll see a switch. Paris sounds good, but it might be before then, leaving Paris for the mini as well as the iPod lines.



    I have a Rev a G5 imac with a power supply problem - the 4th problem that has had to be fixed - and I'm going to ask Apple for a replacement. Now I have to decide if I'm going to wait until Paris before asking for one! Might just stay with the office PB until Paris, but even the current version would be a nice upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO


    OK. So, let me add some other thoughts:



    1. Does it seem logical to release an update prior to Paris on Sept. 12? Would Apple want to take the spotlight off the new Mac Pro so soon?



    2. I spoke with Apple both via chat and phone yesterday. Here's the quote from the chat, "I reassure you that the processor which the iMac is running on, the Intel Core Duo is fantastic and I do not foresee and immediate change in processors as we have just switched all of our Macs to Intel." Here's one more quote from the same chat, "If you are having reservations about the processor currently running on our Macs, I cannot push you to buy. I can only reassure you that our current machines are amazing and I do not foresee an immediate switch." Granted, the people taking orders are most certainly not "in the know" as to when Apple will release a new product, but it is a little more food for thought.



    Does that change anyone's mind about a September versus a January release?



    FYI - I personally need to purchase before mid-November as my machine is being partially paid for by a home owners insurance claim (lightning damage that took out my entire ham radio station as well as my computer).



    --DotComCTO



    Who knows when iMac will be updated. It definately needs one IMO. As important as when is what processor. If iMac goes Merom you might as well get an iMac now. Merom isn't much faster than Yonah.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    "According to the MacWorld posting about the Core 2 Duo chips this morning, Intel expects most systems carrying the Core 2 Duo chips to be available next week. (The article focused on HP systems)."



    thats another thing. Why would Mac allow that? They need to stay current. This is a prime example of the difference with intel. Instead of powerpc where apple only updated systems every 9months or so, now they need to stay with everyone else who is getting new intel's in thier systems. They need to stay current.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC


    ...i dont know your sources so we all just have to go by what we all think, plus apple doesnt let people know anything.



    My sources are the same as everyone else's, that's for sure! I was just intrigued by the response from a few Apple online sales reps.



    --DotComCTO
  • Reply 10 of 23
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac


    If iMac goes Merom you might as well get an iMac now. Merom isn't much faster than Yonah.



    My thought exactly. The only consideration is that the Merom is a 64-bit architecture that uses the Core microarchitecture.



    --DotComCTO
  • Reply 11 of 23
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC


    "According to the MacWorld posting about the Core 2 Duo chips this morning, Intel expects most systems carrying the Core 2 Duo chips to be available next week. (The article focused on HP systems)."



    thats another thing. Why would Mac allow that? They need to stay current.



    I thought about that many times before...Apple needs to stay current. Then I looked at it differently and wondered why? I mean, Apple is the only game in town if you want the Mac OS. If that's what you want that you have to work on Apple's schedule, no? It seems unlikely that a majority of current Mac users are going to abandon the platform just to get more current hardware. So...why does Apple need to update sooner (other than the fact that we want them to)?



    Just trying to stir things up and hopefully gain some insight.



    --DotComCTO
  • Reply 12 of 23
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Because they want to lure switchers like me, and I'm sorry but Mac OS or no Mac OS i want the newest hardware if I'm gonna shell out my hard-earned cash from my part-time summer job before I start uni. If this means getting a dell, then so be it.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I think we'll see updated iMacs and MacBook Pros as soon as Apple can get enough Core 2 chips. After all Core 2 is 64 bit and has much better integer performance over Yonah. Apple need to keep the semi-pro and pro machines up to date with what Intel have to offer if they want to increase their market share. The real question is what will the iMac get.



    Yonah was faster in general than the G5 it replaced. Rumors on Leopard are that the performance difference will increase as OS X gets better optimised for Intel. The other major thing it brought to the iMac was that it made it almost silent.

    Staying with Merom will obviously maintain that level of quietness. Conroe being a desktop chip and running hotter will require more cooling. From benchmarks that can be found on the net, at a given clock speed the performance of the two processors is almost identical. The question is do Apple want to keep the iMac quiet. Probably yes and so would a lot of owners. Therefore Apple stick with Merom or design the iMac so that it can better cool Conroe. Could mean a new iMac design from the current form. Conroe also has other advantages - its cheaper and its available at faster clock speeds. I believe the 2Ghz Merom is about the same price as the 2.4Ghz Conroe. Sticking with Merom will make the iMac look expensive and underperforming in comparison to other desktop computers.

    I think that if the iMac gets a lazy update to Merom in the next up date (should be no later than the Paris show I'd have thought), then perhaps the iMac will get a complete overhaul for Macworld in January.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n


    Because they want to lure switchers like me, and I'm sorry but Mac OS or no Mac OS i want the newest hardware if I'm gonna shell out my hard-earned cash from my part-time summer job before I start uni. If this means getting a dell, then so be it.



    You'll be sorry.....



    Think it through very carefully before you lock yourself into the lock-step. What are you waiting to see that you can get better in a Dell now?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    To answer the topic starter's question — September 12th.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC


    "According to the MacWorld posting about the Core 2 Duo chips this morning, Intel expects most systems carrying the Core 2 Duo chips to be available next week. (The article focused on HP systems)."



    Could you post a link on that, perhaps? I checked Macworld.com and .co.uk and couldn't find the article you were talking about.



    On another note: Apple will update the iMac when the current model stops selling well (assuming that there a feasible upgrade available from Intel). Also, if the Core 2 Duo comment is true, then perhaps we'll see an updated iMac next week... you know how Steve likes to say "shipping today."



    Edit: also, consider that Apple is, to some extent, Intel's new poster-child. Intel's going to push new processors and technologies on them hard.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755


    To answer the topic starter's question — September 12th.



    While that seems most likey, I find it hard to believe Apple will wait 6 weeks to debuit a computer using chips that competitors will be shipping in 2 to 4. We'll see though. I'm hoping for sooner, but either way I think the next iMac is going to scream.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    It's very interesting. So many people think it'll be September 12th or sooner (which I find *really* hard to believe). OK - here's a follow on question: will Apple release the iMac with the ATI X1600, or do you think they'll move to the ATI X1800? Oh, and one more: Core 2 Duo with 2MB or 4MB L2 cache?



    I'm still not 'feeling it' for September 12th. I'm not sure why, but I have this crappy feeling that it'll be MacWorld Expo in January. I'm really hoping for 9/12 or sooner, but...we'll see.



    --DotComCTO
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO


    It's very interesting. So many people think it'll be September 12th or sooner (which I find *really* hard to believe). OK - here's a follow on question: will Apple release the iMac with the ATI X1600, or do you think they'll move to the ATI X1800? Oh, and one more: Core 2 Duo with 2MB or 4MB L2 cache?



    I'm still not 'feeling it' for September 12th. I'm not sure why, but I have this crappy feeling that it'll be MacWorld Expo in January. I'm really hoping for 9/12 or sooner, but...we'll see.



    --DotComCTO



    Apple can't wait until January, are you kidding? The iMac is Apple's most important computer and if they leave a Core Duo chip in there for six more months while HP/Dell/etc put a Core 2 Duo in, they'll get killed in sales, comparisons, benchmarks, etc. You saw in yesterday's keynote how Apple compared the Mac Pro and the Xserve to the Dell counterparts and the price difference there in. Just think if Dell did that. "For $2000 you can get a state of the art system with a Core 2 Duo chip, or for $1699 you can get an iMac with a chip that is outdated and obsolete." It'd be a really bad marketing move to wait past September 12.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Maybe a Sept 12 release for MBP. iMac I don't have a feel for but either you figure that folks will have end of year money they have to spend before Sept 30 (and for us, take delivery) to get some notebooks or you figure waiting a little into the fiscal year when folks get their budgets in hand.



    Eh, I just ordered a 17" MBP...had to in order to make sure we got it in hand before the end of the year. I waited as long as I could but can't delay any further.



    Vinea
Sign In or Register to comment.