*sigh* Another update down the drain

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Interface Elements can be divulged later in the year to developers so that MS doesn't have time to counteract any specific new feature.

I don't normally like to buy into the "Redmond start your photocopiers" stuff but if the finder is going to undergo a large change, and I believe it will, Apple would be better off holding off until the last minute. The finder doesn't really require that developers learn a new API.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think they've yet to update the Finder too. It looks like iphoto also had the brushed metal removed.

The Finder will be getting tabs (*shakes fist*) so it can't have been updated yet. We all know that Apple hired someone to redesign and it looks the same so they're hiding something.

No mention of a new filesystem, which would've been nice. Nor was there any mention of Leopard being more streamlined and efficient. Looks to me like they've added more bloat with the time machine and Core animation. Don't get me wrong, they're cool features (although time machine looks horrible - they could've done an in-place time bar than use a stupid space backdrop) but they'll likely kill lower end machines. I wonder how time machine deals with security concerns. If I delete something, I want it gone.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the WWDC. I'm seriously impressed with the mac Pro price. Someone I know has just ordered a specced up imac and you can now get a basic Mac Pro for the same price albeit without the display. I told him to wait.

I really wish they'd stop saying things like 4 million BTO options. Makes them sound like asses. Er, excuse me Apple, but in those 4 million options, can I get a powerbook-style desktop keyboard and a mouse that actually works?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt

"All features referenced in the Mac OS X Leopard Sneak Peek are subject to change."

ooooh, sneaky. They better not be waiting for Vista though. I can't wait another 2 years.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar

iCal got group scheduling features and Safari got the new Dashboard functionality. Both are still metal at apple's site.

I've got Leopard installed now, and yes, both iCal and Safari are new versions with cool new features - but the old look.

The 'Open in Dashboard' button just doesn't fit in and that tells me that we aren't seeing the final interface.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I think they've yet to update the Finder too. It looks like iphoto also had the brushed metal removed.

Where have you been the last 7 months? iLife 06 doesn't use metal.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    With the final release 6 - 10 months out I'm not worried about anything that wasn't shown. You never know about Finder - they might be working on it to integrate it with the Time Machine. There is a significant amount of time left for Apple to finish off Leopard, especially when you consider the time periods between previous cats.

Now, who wants to bet that Stationery is added to Vista's version of Mail?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Apple is absolutely redesigning the finder, it's stunning. Several apple employees I know have hinted at it as being the biggest change ever...

Not only that it's the top secret features that steve doesn't want to let microsoft know about. It's crazy metadata heaven.

The finder will be completely redone.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    The reason steve jobs mentioned "top secret" features that we aren't ready to show you yet "but i just want you to know they are there" is so people wouldn't be disappointed with the finder. Trust me huge changes are coming.

That's why steve bothered to mention it at all.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    You can tell the finder is being redone, just from the part where he uses time machine, and does a "preview of the deleted app" DID You see the crazy preview? it previewed the keynote without keynote...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Listen to webmail, folks.

It only takes a little close attention to notice the many, many gaps and omissions in that extremely minimal "preview".
  • Reply 30 of 34
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    The completely revamped finder with Metadata Heaven makes sense.

Remember the patents that described how Mac OS X would automatically recognize whether your photographs were taken in daylight or in low light conditions, the ISO etc. Audio would be analyzed and tagged with huge amounts of Metadata automatically.

I have a feeling this is coming with Finder. There was mention today of Live document previews too for all types of documents; so you can preview any files contents without opening it. Plus there must be natural progressions in Smart folders etc etc etc

I think it's gonna change and change big!

I look forward to seeing the 'real' Leopard
  • Reply 31 of 34
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akheron01

Yet another major update to the operating system and it looks like they forgot to FTFF yet again

Maybe you missed the parts where:

1. It's a SNEAK PEAK.

2. The whole TOP SECRET features which weren't announced.

It's not like it's shipping software or a full preview. So take it easy Francis, and if you don't like the final product, don't buy it.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Ya. We should all expect some major alterations in the final product. Apple just loves UI experimentation and they couldnt bear not to spruce it up.

1) Brushed metal will be gone.

2) The Finder will be totally redone

3) UI Alterations everywhere

4) Expect some new novel ideas akin to epose, file containers, etc
  • Reply 33 of 34
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    A couple of things which I like in Windows explorer and would like to see is the ability to navigate your folder hierarchy in the left-hand side pane instead of being restricted to a few favourites which you can plonk on.

Also, the ability to tinker about with files from within open/save dialog boxes - renaming, deleting, file info, etc. But I suppose this comes from Windows being built around explorer rather than seeing it as a separate app like the Finder is?
  • Reply 34 of 34
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akheron01

Yet another major update to the operating system and it looks like they forgot to FTFF yet again

yup. in fact, in an unprecedented display of generosity by Mr. Jobs, between now and Spring 2007, the entire OS X team is going on an extended paid-vacation to celebrate the Golden Master of Leopard shown Monday at WWDC. im not really sure why they are waiting until Spring to ship it... probably has something to do with Steve's recent weight loss.