Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 403
    i agree Fran441, i told my friend who introduced me to macs that this waiting is like holding a moist chocolate cake infront of a fat kid, its pure torture
  • Reply 22 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Yeah, I'm hoping they will, I hope Apple overestimates.

They did with my MacBook. It arrived a week before I was expecting it. Needless to say, that made me very happy.
  • Reply 23 of 403
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    I think I'm lucky that I ordered a cinema display too because that will be here in a few days and it will tone down a pinch of my excitement because technically its half the order. Oh who am I kidding i want that big beautiful tower!!!
  • Reply 24 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Yeah, I'm hoping they will, I hope Apple overestimates.

Well if the issue is getting a shipment of EFI-based x1900 XTs, they'll ship a few days after the shipment, so that wait time means we'll probably all get our Mac Pros w/ x1900 XTs between the 16th and the 23rd whether we order now or next week. (Or so I hope, because I can't order til next week)
  • Reply 25 of 403
    Hello all. New to the boards here. I placed my order August 8th with an estimated ship by August 11th with estimated delivery by August 15th. Sheesh, so much for overestimating but I guess while on time isn't as good as early, it's still better than late or never. FYI, I got the standard config of dual 2.66/7300GT/250GB HD/and 1 superdrive.
  • Reply 26 of 403
    I put my order in about two hours after the apple store went back online, after the keynote ended... took me that long to come up to a final decision on how to customize.

In any case, the est. ship date is Sept. 12th. I called Apple yesterday just to verify if that is the case and the rep that I spoke with said that they are pushing these systems out and he expects that mine will ship by next week. Wishful thinking. Below is my config:

Processor\t0656352\t2.66 GHz Quad Xeon

Memory\t0656357\t1GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC2x512

Graphics Card\t0656363\tATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB

Hard Drive Bay1\t0656409\t250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive

Hard Drive Bay2\t0656742\tNone

Hard Drive Bay3\t0656743\tNone

Hard Drive Bay4\t0656744\tNone

Optical Drive\t0656251\t16x SuperDrive DL

Wireless Option\t0656725\tAirprt Extrm and BT 2.0EDR

Modem\t0656455\tNone

Fibre Chl Card\t0656285\tNone

Keyboard Language\t0656287\tApple Keyboard and Mighty Mse
  • Reply 27 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prophet928

In any case, the est. ship date is Sept. 12th. I called Apple yesterday just to verify if that is the case and the rep that I spoke with said that they are pushing these systems out and he expects that mine will ship by next week. Wishful thinking.

That'd be great. A lot of us are glad to see that the 3-5 weeks might not actually mean 3-5 weeks. My mom is OK with the idea, and wants to talk about it when she gets home Sunday, and my dad thinks it's too much (whole computing package at $3600). Gonna work on him this weekend. :-)

Welcome aboard you two.

EDIT: Out of school for too long. Used the wrong "two" there.
  • Reply 28 of 403
    Wow that's great news. If I get mine within 2 weeks I will be overjoyed. My ship date was sept. 13, then I upgraded to the 2.66 so they changed it to the 14th. Hurry! If it actually ships on sept 14, well.. I think it's safe to say I'll be dead by then.
  • Reply 29 of 403
    I ordered my MacPro Monday and should receive it tomorrow. I ordered BT and the 7300GT video card. No point in ordering a top of the line video card now when the next gen cards from Nvidia and AMD(ATI) will be out in the fall. Also, the W-Fi card is a PCIE add on card that can be purchased separately. I am not sure if it can be installed by the user without voiding the warranty.

2.66 GHz Quad Xeon

2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC-4x512

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive

16x SuperDrive DL

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mse

Mac OS X

Country Kit

Tracking # says it left FedEx location. Can't wait to go back to Apple. The last time I used a Mac was my dads PowerPC 6100 running OS 7.5.5 w/ DOS card running Win 3.1 and DOS 6.22. Hopefully the new Intel Macs will work better duel booting OS X and WinXP. That DOS card while fast compared to the alternative was a pain.
  • Reply 30 of 403
    I am pretty sure you can add PCIe cards under warranty.

However - be warned that you may not see a R600 or G80 in a Mac Pro until January (although more likely November). Don't expect one on release day. Apple has a history of being slow to jump on graphics cards. Also, you probably need a custom card because of EFI issues. No one has tried it, but we suspect that you need custom drivers and a ROM reflash on the card because of Apple's use of advanced firmware (EFI) instead of BIOS.

Welcome to AI and welcome back to the Mac flock.
  • Reply 31 of 403
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

my dad thinks it's too much (whole computing package at $3600). Gonna work on him this weekend. :-)

But Dad, it's cheaper than a Dell!

Hope that helps
  • Reply 32 of 403
    Woohoo today is the estimated ship by date for me. I must admit I'm a little apprehensive seeing how so many others had theirs shipped out before their ship by date.
  • Reply 33 of 403
    To all ATI or 3-5 week orders:

Please please please post here when you find out your system is being shipped out earlier than expected!!!
  • Reply 34 of 403
    It's here! I am using my MacPro to post this reply. It only took about 15 min. from plugging things in to surfing the web. That is incredible. The interface takes some getting use to and Safari is very different then Firefox. Does Safari support tabs? The only problem was FedEx shipped my MacPro to the Apple Austin campus. I had to go over there to pick it up. Looking inside it is very clean and well designed. Not a cable in sight and I can't even hear it over my ceiling fan.
  • Reply 35 of 403
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

To all ATI or 3-5 week orders:

Please please please post here when you find out your system is being shipped out earlier than expected!!!

Jesus christ, I know, I was gonna make a thread about that.
  • Reply 36 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daneel571

It's here! I am using my MacPro to post this reply. It only took about 15 min. from plugging things in to surfing the web. That is incredible. The interface takes some getting use to and Safari is very different then Firefox. Does Safari support tabs? The only problem was FedEx shipped my MacPro to the Apple Austin campus. I had to go over there to pick it up. Looking inside it is very clean and well designed. Not a cable in sight and I can't even hear it over my ceiling fan.

Safari has tabs, you have to enable them in preferences though.

You can also use Firefox instead, that's what I do.
  • Reply 37 of 403
    my cinema display was shipped from sacramento, to north salt lake utah, and its been sitting there for 2 days... i am so pissed. i dont even know why it went to utah, its like right there next to cali and it has much further to go.. mid west region actually. damn you fedex.
  • Reply 38 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daneel571

yes Safari has Tabs.

you do know you are all a bunch of swines! :P of course thats only cos im waiting on some confirmation that i have some extra cash comming in... and so cant order last week etc.

lucky lucky people!
  • Reply 39 of 403
    The mormons have to decide whether they want it to complete their multi-monitor setups, badum-ch.
  • Reply 40 of 403
    The first thing I did once my MacPro was up and running was install Firefox and my del.icio.us toolbar buttons.

The only thing I don't like is the default theme doesn't have icons for bookmarks like the PC version. I can't find a nice simple theme that has icons in the bookmarks toolbar. Any ideas?