Windows Vista Beta 2 features bugs and blue screens

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i was at staples the other day to get some copies made, and noticed they had a big plasma with vista running on it. it was odd, because i thought "wait, i thought this thing isn't near shipping yet... are they running the beta? and then are they taking pre-orders or something?" i was in a hurry, so i couldn't really test drive any of it, but my 2 second impressions were a.) it didn't look much different than xp and b.) the sidebar clock was broken (like, seriously, it had no hands showing).

weird.
  • Reply 102 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

External hard disk for Time Machine will suck a$$ because you have to keep the external plugged in wherever you go... Think MacBook and MacBookPro and having your dongle hanging out to keep the External drive seamlessly connected for seamless Time Machine.

I think when Leopard is in full release Time Machine will rely strongly on an extra *smaller* (hence much cheaper) internal drive for both laptops and iMac and Mac mini. Or, *Flash* memory. Apple *has* to move the hardware in this direction IMHO for Time Machine to really be seamless. External drive connected all the time is not feasible. Network connection is good for internal LANs or very-high-speed WANs but not across our current broadband (3G, DSL, Cable).

I plan on using an external drive with my Powerbook, but rather than plug it in I'll use a wireless network storage link. That way while I'm sleeping at night, everything will be backed up for me wirelessly. Restoring files would be rather slow, but then again I don't plan on restoring things too often...
  • Reply 103 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

External hard disk for Time Machine will suck a$$ because you have to keep the external plugged in wherever you go... Think MacBook and MacBookPro and having your dongle hanging out to keep the External drive seamlessly connected for seamless Time Machine.

Time Machine back ups your computer NIGHTLY by default. You do not need to keep your HD connected to your computer constantly.
  • Reply 104 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut

Time Machine back ups your computer NIGHTLY by default. You do not need to keep your HD connected to your computer constantly.

But when you do the sexy space-warp time machine flying through space core image/ core animation thing to restore or check previous versions, that means you have to have the external drive connected, right...?

So you could have a external drive nightly backed up, but what if during the day or when you are out an about, how could you do restores?
  • Reply 105 of 105
    2nd hard drive in the Mac is a really much much much more sensible and seamless solution for Time Machine to work, IMHO. Other than that, a continuously connected Desktop Mac in a gigabit/100 ethernet or 802.11G environment.