Apple Store customer receives upgraded Mac mini

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

why is it weird? quite a few resellers do this to save the consumer some money and to get some repeat business. makes sense to me. anyway the resellers dont pay the same as the cumsumer does for the hardware, they get it at 'trade price', they then add some money on, which is called 'profit'. they just choose to add a bit less on.

when i worked at atarget i learned that the ipods were all under "price lock" or something like that by apple to keep the prices the same ewverywhere. i was under the impression that this was true for computers too.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    I ordered a refub 20" Intel iMac in March 2006 from the Apple website, and when I received it, the machine surprisingly had a full 2 GB memory and the video memory was at 256MB, when I ordered it with only 1GB memory and 128MB of video meory. Needless to say I was happily surprised.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterboy100

when i worked at atarget i learned that the ipods were all under "price lock" or something like that by apple to keep the prices the same ewverywhere. i was under the impression that this was true for computers too.

That's illegal in many countries - but with something so popular as the iPod, Apple might be able to charge the retailer so close to the price they sell it on for that they would make a loss with any discount. Usually, they make their money on accessories.

David
  • Reply 44 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

That's illegal in many countries - but with something so popular as the iPod, Apple might be able to charge the retailer so close to the price they sell it on for that they would make a loss with any discount. Usually, they make their money on accessories.

Yeah, I don't understand why Apple and certain other brands don't get nailed for price fixing. The discounts usually offered by most retailers is usually negligible.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Yeah, I don't understand why Apple and certain other brands don't get nailed for price fixing. The discounts usually offered by most retailers is usually negligible.

Because Apple is one company, and therefore it's not price fixing. If Apple, Creative, and SanDisk "colluded" to make sure that no MP3 player ever was below a certain price, that would be illegal.

Setting a minimum advertisable price, and pricing a product close to the MSRP, are very legal.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Because Apple is one company, and therefore it's not price fixing. If Apple, Creative, and SanDisk "colluded" to make sure that no MP3 player ever was below a certain price, that would be illegal.

Nintendo was nailed for price fixing in the past, and it was not collusion competing products that I remember. What was the difference?
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Nintendo was nailed for price fixing in the past, and it was not collusion competing products that I remember. What was the difference?

Nintendo wasn't technically price fixing. Nintendo illegally prevented resellers from buying goods wholesale in one country and selling them in another, which is apparently illegal in the EU.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterboy100

fry's (a computer chain here in SoCal) is advertising Mac Mini Super's in their ad today.

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

80 Gig HD

Dual Layer Super Drive

for 699 dollars

seems wierd that an outside retailer is selling a mac for 100 dollars cheaper than apples website

Unless they are trying to clear inventory.