Crucial Mac Pro RAM?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I've got some photos of the Micron (Crucial) FB-DIMMs that shipped with my computer. If somebody can host them, I can email them over...?
  • Reply 42 of 71
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Put 'em up on http://www.imageshack.us genius.
  • Reply 43 of 71

Label showing Micron logo and spec.

Comparison of G5 Quad DIMM and Mac Pro FB-DIMM.

What a 'conventional' heat spreader might look like on the riser card.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    OK - that settles it for me. I'm not skimping on the heatsink. I somehow thought the difference was less significant. Those are freaking huge heatsinks. I'm betting Crucials' 2GB kit (2 x 1 GB) will be about $325 or $350 (it's coming in a week or two). I think I'll get that.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Yeah, I'm definitely going for heatsunk (? ) Crucial RAM if for no other reason than consistency when I look inside my case.

Those riser boards are a really sexy black gloss, reminds me of iPods. Makes me want my Mac Pro even more.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Crucial has their 1GB sticks up!

Click here for Crucial's Mac Pro memory.

They want $432.99 for 2 x 1GB, however. newegg has Kingston 1GBs for $168.99. $95 for some heatsinks?!?

Click here for newegg.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Yuck. I was hoping it'd be closer to $350.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Yikes!! They're out of stock already! Or at least, that's what it said when I tried to order...
  • Reply 49 of 71
    I think RAM goes up in $/MB price as the sticks get higher capacity because often a bunch of low-density RAM is cheaper to produce than the same amount in high-density sticks.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Any one know anything about Memory to Go? I can't find a picture on the site

http://www.memorytogo.com/e-store/pr...d~99591280.htm

It's $340 for a 2 GB kit, which is why I ask. It seems too cheap for the heat-sinked stuff...
  • Reply 51 of 71
    If they don't say it's heatsinked...it probably isn't.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Ouch! Crucial UK's pricing is going up and down like a yo-yo at the moment. I was humming and hawing about spending £123 per 1GB (2x 512MB) upgrade last night, and this morning the price suddenly jumped to £184 per upgrade.

Yikes!
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Ouch! Crucial UK's pricing is going up and down like a yo-yo at the moment. I was humming and hawing about spending £123 per 1GB (2x 512MB) upgrade last night, and this morning the price suddenly jumped to £184 per upgrade.

Yikes!

Ouch! I paid $200 US. £184 just isn't very nice.

Maybe it's because I'm not a graphics professional, but curious that Crucial is one of the only vendors with 2x512 upgrades available. Wouldn't this be one of the most common requests?
  • Reply 54 of 71
    I think you make higher margins on higher capacity sticks. And most people are gonna go for more than 2 GB in their machine. Personally, I'm going for 3.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    For everybody's information: Crucial's 1GB 512x2 kit has gone back down to $200, it had spiked for a little bit.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Yeah, I just noticed that too, looks like they're really trying to milk cash out of people.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

I just saw it at $299...

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT579441

That's exactly Apple's pricing for a 2x512MB set.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Yeah - this is really pissing me off. I almost bought at $432 for a 2x1 GB set-up, but didn't, and now it's $499. This is technology. Prices should be going down.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Yeah - this is really pissing me off. I almost bought at $432 for a 2x1 GB set-up, but didn't, and now it's $499. This is technology. Prices should be going down.

It's a commodities market, much like coffee. Think of yourself as a day trader, and check in frequently.

FWIW I got my 4 x 1GB for $204 a stick, just as the 1GB Crucial kits popped onto their pages. Now, as their supplies are dwindling in the face of demand, the prices are climbing.

Take your time and strike when the next manufacturing batch is released. No doubt the prices will adjust lower.