Crucial Mac Pro RAM?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This isn't due to Crucial being a commodities market, as normal RAM without heatsinks has kept a steady price. If Crucial hadn't changed the price, it wouldn't be more expensive. Nothing deeper than that, Warren Buffet.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    I'd suggest that it's too early for "prices to be coming down." By that I mean the supply/demand haven't settled out yet. I'm sure we'll see FB-DIMM pricing be more reflective of the cost to produce (the price drop you mention) in, say, a month if not sooner.

Crucial is charging more because they can, or they think they can.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

This isn't due to Crucial being a commodities market, as normal RAM without heatsinks has kept a steady price. If Crucial hadn't changed the price, it wouldn't be more expensive. Nothing deeper than that, Warren Buffet.

Actually, it is a commodities market. RAM is a commodity, pricing is fluid to demand, and RAM without heatsinks is not really in play for Mac Pro users. Hence, Crucial has adjusted their asking price; their decision. You don't have to purchase; your decision. When more 3rd party players with big heatsinks arrive, Crucial's pricing will be forced downward to compete. Adam Smith calls this the 'invisible hand of the market."

Quote:

Nothing deeper than that, Warren Buffet.

In its day, Smith's observance was considered deeply profound.

Ahh Placebo, you're such a...well, pill.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    But what I'm saying is that its like blaming the rising price pf a McDonalds burger on meat prices, when we all know they're making a 90%+ margin.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

But what I'm saying is that its like blaming the rising price pf a McDonalds burger on meat prices, when we all know they're making a 90%+ margin.

Bad example, but that's another story

Crucial raised the price because now that the Mac Pros are out, the demand for that RAM just went up. In addition to that, they probably had to pay people to add heatsinks to the RAM and are trying to recoup the fixed costs of such a move (hiring, space, wages, blah blah blah)..

Still, they raised it by more than they had to. The thing is, nobody else sells mac pro RAM to the 'apple spec' aside from Apple (thus far).. therefore, it's a seller's market.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    OWC and Ramjet do, but they're not much cheaper.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

OWC and Ramjet do, but they're not much cheaper.

Correction: FEW sell mac pro memory with Apple spec heatsinks
  • Reply 68 of 71
    DP deleted
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Reprising my earlier post:

Click here for Crucial's Mac Pro memory.

newegg Kingston 1GB

So, Crucial's at $499.99 for 2 x 1GB, with real heatsinks.

newegg is at $357.98 for 2 x 1GB, with lame heatspreaders.

$142.01 for some heatsinks?!?

Thermaltake RAM heat sinks, $8

Uh, help me out here...
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Nitpick - you need one of those per DIMM.

Also, the main issue for a lot of people is security. Lots of professional mac users would rather have RAM that's certified for their machine, and don't want to void the RAM warranty by gluing stuff on, and the RAM warranty doesn't cover the heatsink.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic

Reprising my earlier post:

Click here for Crucial's Mac Pro memory.

newegg Kingston 1GB

So, Crucial's at $499.99 for 2 x 1GB, with real heatsinks.

newegg is at $357.98 for 2 x 1GB, with lame heatspreaders.

$142.01 for some heatsinks?!?

Thermaltake RAM heat sinks, $8

Uh, help me out here...

Oh it's slightly worse than that, friend, newegg sells the exact same memory as crucial, minus the heatsinks, for $320 for 2x1GB... so that's $180 for some heat sinks.

New Egg has tiny margins though due to the fact that their warehouse is practically an enormous robot. If they sold that RAM with the heat sinks, it'd probably be $100 less per stick.

It gets better, Crucial themselves is selling 1GB sticks for $200 each minus the heatsinks ($400 for 2).. so Crucial raising the price $100 for some heatsinks!