Is this what you wanted?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been reading all the threads about how lots of you want a mid range headless Mac.

So, is this new 24" iMac the answer you wanted? or do you still want more expandabilty and it to be headless?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    no no no no no no
  • Reply 2 of 81
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

no no no no no no

... and further more, no no no no no no
  • Reply 3 of 81
    Um, the whole point is not to tie the monitor to the computer because the computer becomes obsolete so much more quickly. Now we just have a bigger, better display to ditch before its time is up.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    nope and now that they released this machine I'm thinking there will be no such mid range tower.
  • Reply 5 of 81
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Uh,

no.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeePeeSee

nope and now that they released this machine I'm thinking there will be no such mid range tower.

Agreed, I think the range of iMacs from the 17" integrated graphics to the new 24" seals off any idea of a mid tower mac now.

Standard prices now.

Mac mini Core Duo £399 - £529

iMac Core 2 Duo £679 - £1349

Mac Pro Quad Xeon £1699

Seems like a pretty even spread across the price range, can't see them overlapping a tower with the iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hope this a purposely naive thread.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Fisrt no chin, now no head, next the thing it wont have a brain
  • Reply 9 of 81
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    pile of shit. but for the average computer user the specs are good, and the prices even better this time around. Yet again Apple shows they hate America and Freedom by not giving us the options.

I would have bought an iMac if it had a 17" display, core 2 at 2.33 and an 7600GT. Yet Apple decide that we cant have these options, so I'll decide to keep my cash.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

no no no no no no

so what do you want, a top of the range imac without the screen? what kind of size? mac pro size, or something smaller?
  • Reply 11 of 81
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

so what do you want, a top of the range imac without the screen? what kind of size? mac pro size, or something smaller?

the headless Mac topic is the subject of endless other threads. I think it is safe to say that the top of the line iMac specs without the monitor would be a great starting point for said computer.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Isn't a headless Mac called the "Mini"?
  • Reply 13 of 81
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate

Isn't a headless Mac called the "Mini"?

No, you're thinking about the "ball"less Mac.

PS. I know ballless really doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yose

No, you're thinking about the "ball"less Mac.

PS. I know ballless really doesn't make sense.

how about the Mac, "sans balls" edition?
  • Reply 15 of 81
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

the headless Mac topic is the subject of endless other threads. I think it is safe to say that the top of the line iMac specs without the monitor would be a great starting point for said computer.

With three PCIe slots (16x and 8x at least, pls)!

I want sprinkles on mine.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    One laptop - Vertical - iMac - several configs - several price points

One laptop - Horizontal - MacBooks - several configs - several price points

that's it. hope intel releases Merom upgrades faster ... for people who really needs desktop power CPUs, i am not complaining! (i am happy with power, if it can beat 3Ghz P4, Core Duo yonah and merom shd be enough for me)
  • Reply 17 of 81
    If the iMac had an upgradeable graphcis slot, then it would be what I was seeking. And 90% of all gamers out there..
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

If the iMac had an upgradeable graphcis slot, then it would be what I was seeking. And 90% of all gamers out there..

Ah, just have the X1600 or the 7300GT or the 7600GT and enjoy until the PS3 comes out then FORGET ABOUT FRACKING PC GAMING and the endless need to upgrade
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

pile of shit. but for the average computer user the specs are good, and the prices even better this time around. Yet again Apple shows they hate America and Freedom by not giving us the options.

I would have bought an iMac if it had a 17" display, core 2 at 2.33 and an 7600GT. Yet Apple decide that we cant have these options, so I'll decide to keep my cash.

Pile of shit? *Hmm* what do you need an extra 0.33ghz for? As a PC overclocker fanboi the clock speed differences in the Mac range ARE total bullsh1t. If you're talking about Core 2, any speed, you can push it past 3ghz on air, stock HSF.

But yeah if it had a 7600GT 256MB option on the 17" that would be awesome. That option would really get extra 17" iMacs out the door.

Yes, Apple hates America and Freedom I expect nothing less from their ways. That is why a year ago I built a nice overclocked AMD64 1.80 to 2.20ghz rig with overclocked 6600GT 128MB, 1GB(512mb dual channel), 7200RPM SATA, on a nice Asus board.

No mid tower, limited graphics options (but better than ever before though), and why no 7600GT option in Mac Pro?. For those all unhappy see http://www.newegg.com - buy the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 ... overclocks easily past 3.0ghz - on a Gigabyte board, and get a nVidia 7950GX2. Build up the rest, 2GB RAM, 15k SATA hard disk, etc... sweeeeet.

With the money you saved *not* buying the new iMac, instead building a killer PC rig and sticking to your little ol' 14" iBook, you can spend more cash on beer and hookers.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    ok ok, PC for gaming! and MAC for everything else!!!