iTV opinions poll

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
You've seen it, you've watched the keynote, you've downloaded the new iTunes, and it's all settled in.



Now. What is your honest opinion on iTV?
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 84
    You have like 5 negative options that pretty much mean the same thing, and one positive option...
  • Reply 2 of 84
    I guess that means he didn't like it.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I had a hard time thinking of positive options. I mean what do you think? if it's not listed pick the closest, and then elaborate in a post.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    I don't know why but I'm just not sold...



    I'm sure (fingers crossed) that there is a lot that wasn't announced by Jobs yesterday about the iTV.

    The most worrying thing is that I normally work myself into a frothing mess and end up purchasing most of the new releases but not yesterday.

    The only two things that are running through my mind are the footprint of the device and storage.



    Of all the shapes they could have chosen they went with the Mac Mini footprint...

    I can't imagine Mr Ive being too involved with this, seems a little uninspired unless we're supposed to put in under/on top of a mac mini? Would make sense it Blueray drives were due to hit the mini family line early next year. The price may mean this is unlikely thought.



    The designs for the cubes that surfaced online seem like a great design for remote storage space. I was thinking that using Handbrake at the moment I have almost filled my Macbook, Mini and PC (Just under a TB of data). I refuse to buy these ugly stand alone external hard drives.

    Maybe Jobs sees us having storage cubes that connect to the iTV and Macs around the house wirelessly? Would make sense (to me anyway!) and also would tie in nicely with the new OS and Time machine...

    -Crosses fingers-

  • Reply 5 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm kind of hoping that this was the entry model, and there is another version.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    It's pretty much what I hoped for.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    OK, it is true but don't laugh: not only I don't have a TV right now, but I don't have the intention to buy one. So, it does not affect me.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    *Splutter*

    Wh...wha...WHAT !¿



    Hey, I didnt laugh
  • Reply 9 of 84
    I just couldn't give a crap about this product. I personally have no use for it.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    When blue ray and HD DVD become more prevalent I can't see myself paying $14.00 for a download when those others will be available and only cost a little more.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    ...no HD, less than DVD quality at greater than DVD prices. No rental option. Not clear if it will stream DVDs ripped to iTunes? (I assume it will, but we all know what happens when you assume!)



    <Maxwell Smart>

    Missed it by THAT much....!

    </Maxwell Smart>



    \
  • Reply 12 of 84
    it is a positive product, and will only get better as time goes on. i believe it will go in the direction of streaming HD, and I think apple will join the movie rental service streaming the movies to the tv, then an option at the end of the movie, would you like to purchase this movie? It would be cool. I think good things are gonna come out of this.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    How about an "I don't know enough about it yet, but it looks promising" option?
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut


    How about an "I don't know enough about it yet, but it looks promising" option?



    That was the one kept forgetting, but I did have it in mind right away.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Well, think of it like this: Lots of people like the idea behind Airport/airtunes to play their music on their stereos. This is the same thing but for a TV, includes a frontrow-like interface, and can stream not only music, but also photos and videos and other stuff. Makes a lot of sense to me.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    it's just a streaming info data box. You cannot burn your own DVDs, as far as I know there is no portability for this product (can't take it anywhere to view your purchased content at a different location, unlike a tiny, light, portable DVD or BD). I honestly think this is going nowhere... the movies as a download choice for iPod and possibly an iPad/iTablet, sure that could work. But the real audience for iTV, which is such a crippled poorly conceived product, is damn small. I'm personally not interested in a product that requires I have a running computer just to duplicate what I could have with a regular DVD. That's ridiculous engineering-centric thinking. Not the usual Apple-like thinking. Netflix remains my entertainment provider choice for now. Let's rethink this one Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You guys are outsmarting yourselves on this. Anyone with multiple Macs at home knows how useful bonjour + airport + the sharing features of iTunes/iPhoto is. This is the same thing as AirTunes, but it can deal with more types of content and it can put it on a TV with a nice interface. It's not the ultimate home entertainment center or a PVR (which I doubt Apple will do since they use iTunes TV purchases instead), this is just a way of getting all that video/photo/music content off your Mac and into a family room environment where other people can see it without hovering over a mac in an office room.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell


    You guys are outsmarting yourselves on this. Anyone with multiple Macs at home knows how useful bonjour + airport + the sharing features of iTunes/iPhoto is. This is the same thing as AirTunes, but it can deal with more types of content and it can put it on a TV with a nice interface. It's not the ultimate home entertainment center or a PVR (which I doubt Apple will do since they use iTunes TV purchases instead), this is just a way of getting all that video/photo/music content off your Mac and into a family room environment where other people can see it without hovering over a mac in an office room.



    All of which can be done MUCH easier without involving your computer. The iTV solution is irrational if you compare it to the existing solutions available to consumers, and it is overly complex. I'm certainly not going to have my computer running just to supply my movie (even music and photos, fer gosh sakes) to my TV. Hey, I'm an Apple stockholder (as are many who post here) but iTV is as dumb as a pile of wood, and I'd tell Jobs that to his face.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    I second BRussell and pose this to SpamSandwich.



    While it most certainly is not a DVR or TiVO or anything along those lines think of it like this. You go to your grandparents/relatives/companions/fiends/etc.... house/place and you put this small box in your laptop bag with your Macbook/Macbook Pro/PowerBook/iBook/etc.. now you take this small box, hook it up to their TV and then you are streaming your videos/photos/music there for everyone to see on the big screen. Just think a party with this thing at the center of it all.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX


    I second BRussell and pose this to SpamSandwich.



    While it most certainly is not a DVR or TiVO or anything along those lines think of it like this. You go to your grandparents/relatives/companions/fiends/etc.... house/place and you put this small box in your laptop bag with your Macbook/Macbook Pro/PowerBook/iBook/etc.. now you take this small box, hook it up to their TV and then you are streaming your videos/photos/music there for everyone to see on the big screen. Just think a party with this thing at the center of it all.



    Hi O4BlackWRX (nice car, BTW ) That is a solution looking for a problem. As I said, this is the thinking of an engineer, not the consumer. As the consumer I want the quickest easiest answer. The "quickest, easiest" in this case is to burn a disk, or take a movie on DVD.



    My understanding is that iTV only receives and translates the stream for presentation on a TV, does it store it on a hard drive or buffer it into memory on the iTV?...maybe. But I didn't get the impression it could be used apart from a computer. I don't want to haul around a computer just to watch a movie on a TV. Doesn't make any sense.
Sign In or Register to comment.