Apple issues AirPort, Security software updates

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A new security update for Apple Computer's Mac OS X operating system plugs holes in the company's AirPort wireless software that could potentially allow attackers to invoke malicious acts.

Just the fifth major security update released for Mac computers this year, Security Update 2006-005 addresses a series of issues that could potentially allow attackers on a wireless network to cause system crashes, arbitrary code execution or elevate their access privileges.

The update is available as a 2.2MB download for the Universal version of Mac OS X 10.4.7. Apple also posted 1MB updaters for Mac OS X 10.4.7 PowerPC and Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Separately, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company issued a 1.3MB AirPort Update 2006-001 -- the first of the year -- that improves AirPort wireless connection reliability on Mac computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Love it!

This is a VERY good article about OS X security. It gives a good perspective as to what this is all about in reality.

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...ntosh+Platform
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Pah, I was hoping it would be 'Apple issues NEW Airport' Are they waiting for n-certification next year?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    The Airport update doesn't appear to apply to all macs. It wouldn't run on my G5.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn

The Airport update doesn't appear to apply to all macs. It wouldn't run on my G5.

I got that too - is it for Airport or Airport Extreme?

And the Security updated installed fine on my G5 iMac, but is stalling my G4 PowerBook restart on the grey Apple screen with spinning dial.

Thanks Apple for thoroughly vetting this one.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin

And the Security updated installed fine on my G5 iMac, but is stalling my G4 PowerBook restart on the grey Apple screen with spinning dial.

Thanks Apple for thoroughly vetting this one.

Never, never, never, install a new update of ANY kind, without first going to macfixit.com, and macintouch.com to find out what the problems are, first.

They ALL have problems of one kind or another. Whether those problems will affect you or not is something you must know before installing them.

I always do that every day for at least a week before upgrading.

Just like the new 7.1.3 Quicktime update, and the iTunes 7 update. Both have their problems. I haven't updated either yet.

When they are fixed, I will.

Same with the security update.

And then FIX permissions.

Oh, for safety's sake, verify your hard-drive first.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin

I think I read somewhere that this only applies to certain builds of the Mac OS, specifically the Intel version, and that whatever other fixes Airport needed were included in the Security Update for the rest of us rather than a separate updater. Not sure how much of that, if any, is true.

It would have been nice if this was clarified by Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Some information from Apple regarding the Airport and Security updates:

The Software Update utility will present the update that applies to your system configuration. Only one is needed, either AirPort Update 2006-001 or Security Update 2006-005.

For reference if installing from a manually-downloaded package:

AirPort Update 2006-001 will install on the following systems:

Mac OS X v10.4.7 Builds 8J2135 or 8J2135a

Security Update 2006-005 will install on the following systems:

Mac OS X v10.3.9

Mac OS X Server v10.3.9

Mac OS X v10.4.7 Builds 8J135, 8K1079, 8K1106, 8K1123, or 8K1124

Mac OS X Server v10.4.7 Builds 8J135 or 8K1079
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well done Melgross. You win the prize.

btw. iTunes7 works fine on Macs for the most part. It's on Windows that it has more serious issues.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Was so curious when reading the article as I've been having Airport issues with my Macbook also I used to be able to get full bars in my home and I haven't moved, using MB in the same spots but now I'm lucky to get one bar
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

BLARGH! Mel, you should know better then this.

1) Installing anything will already have fixed the permissions. Fixing permissions, by definition, restores them to the installer settings. If an installer doesn't have the proper permissions set (which is rare, most installers don't even touch permissions), then fixing permissions won't even work: it'll just set them to whatever permissions were in all the various installers.

2) Fixing permissions fixes like 1% of problems ever. And they're pretty easily recognizable: it happens when an app can't save files.

3) Fixing permissions very likely only ever fixes USER errors: where a user specifically went into the get info panel, entered their password, and screwed their own computer up. I don't think there's ever been a verified report of an app or process actually screwing up permissions itself.

Jon Gruber I think also has a couple similar articles on DaringFireball.net that are probably clear than I am :P
  • Reply 11 of 30
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    an installer can screw up permissions, but as you point out, "repairing permissions" won't fix that.

Having made installers with Apple's InstallerMaker, I can attest to the fact that it is ridiculously easy to hose permissions any way you want - that thing runs as root.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    The Repair Disk Permissions topic has already been exhaustively covered in several places, including:

Repair permissions ( @wikipedia), referring to:

Seriously, ?Repair Permissions? Is Voodoo (@ daringfireball.net)

Exercises in Futility Part 2: Repairing Permissions is Useless (@unsanity.org)

et.al.

There's also:

mac.column.ted: Unravelling the Repair Disk Permissions controversy (@ macfixit, via peterwooley.com)

So enough about it here, please!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed. It's something to do from time to time if you really feel like it, but it has jack-all to do with the installation process.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

BLARGH! Mel, you should know better then this.

1) Installing anything will already have fixed the permissions. Fixing permissions, by definition, restores them to the installer settings. If an installer doesn't have the proper permissions set (which is rare, most installers don't even touch permissions), then fixing permissions won't even work: it'll just set them to whatever permissions were in all the various installers.

2) Fixing permissions fixes like 1% of problems ever. And they're pretty easily recognizable: it happens when an app can't save files.

3) Fixing permissions very likely only ever fixes USER errors: where a user specifically went into the get info panel, entered their password, and screwed their own computer up. I don't think there's ever been a verified report of an app or process actually screwing up permissions itself.

Jon Gruber I think also has a couple similar articles on DaringFireball.net that are probably clear than I am :P

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

All of you who think that you know more than Apple, don't know as much as you think.

If even one problem is taken care of, then it was worth the VERY minor trouble it took.

Gruber is a very bright individual. But, since you've taken the trouble to respond, you should know that his position on this is very controversial.

Some developers agree, and some don't.

Take your pick.

I always err on the side of conservatism. It can't hurt, and it can help.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

I don't think you're damned either way. Unless you're dumb enough to screw around with permissions settings deep inside your system.

Quote:

All of you who think that you know more than Apple, don't know as much as you think.

I don't think Apple has ever recommended to do permission repairs, am I missing something?

Quote:

If even one problem is taken care of, then it was worth the VERY minor trouble it took.

Right, but to recommend it as an installation routine? Not only is that entirely unnecessary (in this case, it can't possibly take care of any problems, ever), it's a serious, serious waste of 5 minutes, and scares new users into thinking that Mac OS X is some kind of scary dark beast that you have to sacrifice virgins and goats to.

Quote:

Gruber is a very bright individual. But, since you've taken the trouble to respond, you should know that his position on this is very controversial.

Some developers agree, and some don't.

Take your pick.

I don't think a single developer disagreed. N00b, maybe.

Quote:

I always err on the side of conservatism. It can't hurt, and it can help.

I know, conservatism's always good (as long as it's not neoconservatism), but I think you might have fallen off the edge on this one
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I don't think Apple has ever recommended to do permission repairs, am I missing something?

Yes. After every upgrade of the OS, or even update. They also reccommend to do it if you are having problems opening files, files don't open with a double click, etc.

Quote:

Right, but to recommend it as an installation routine? Not only is that entirely unnecessary (in this case, it can't possibly take care of any problems, ever), it's a serious, serious waste of 5 minutes, and scares new users into thinking that Mac OS X is some kind of scary dark beast that you have to sacrifice virgins and goats to.

Then go and argue with Apple, not me.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Yes. After every upgrade of the OS, or even update. They also reccommend to do it if you are having problems opening files, files don't open with a double click, etc.

They don't. They explicitly tell you not to.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106692

The only time they do tell you to is when you already have specific problems.

See "My computer keeps freezing or I see a flashing question mark" for example

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh1928.html

The last paragraph is misleading.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Never, never, never, install a new update of ANY kind, without first going to macfixit.com, and macintouch.com to find out what the problems are, first.

I can't agree with this, reports there are unverifiable and made by people with who-knows-what 3rd party junk installed in their systems.

Quote:

They ALL have problems of one kind or another. Whether those problems will affect you or not is something you must know before installing them.

True, that's why, unless there's an urgent need, I wait until it's been reported by somewhere reputable, like MDJ.

Quote:

Repairing permissions is NOT a to-be-done-generally job, it's for troubleshooting only. Don't do it unless you have problems.

Again, good analysis of why this is the right advice is available from MDJ.

(I have no connection with them other than as a subscriber)
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

They don't. They explicitly tell you not to.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106692

The only time they do tell you to is when you already have specific problems.

See "My computer keeps freezing or I see a flashing question mark" for example

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh1928.html

The last paragraph is misleading.

Either I'm mis-understanding your argument or you're just completely wrong, I think what you're trying to say is that Repairing Permissions should never be done, like it has no use.

If it has no use why would it be there.

Not to mention the numerous times I have used it to fix problems and the number of times Apple recommends it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303032

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303593
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abrooks

Either I'm mis-understanding your argument or you're just completely wrong, I think what you're trying to say is that Repairing Permissions should never be done, like it has no use.

You're misunderstanding. I wrote...

"The only time they do tell you to is when you already have specific problems."

You quoted specific problems. That's fine. Repairing Permissions as a general maintenance task or before/after running Software Update makes no sense and they tell you NOT to.