T.O. Attempts Suicide?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Care to elaborate about the "wow"? Is attempting suicide so unusual in the US?
  • Reply 2 of 69
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    ...suicide attempts among famous people is usually jarring.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

...suicide attempts among famous people is usually jarring.

Fame alone doesn't make everyone happy; quite the opposite. It can lead to making people very shallow, superficial shells of their former selves.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Fame alone doesn't make everyone happy; quite the opposite. It can lead to making people very shallow, superficial shells of their former selves.

I don't think his point was it was jarring because why would someone so rich and famous commit suicide, just that it is, in fact, jarring when any well known person tries to take their own life.

I don't find it particualarly suprising since he's exhibited signs of being mentally unstable for years. Still, I feel bad for him and hope he gets the help that he needs.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

I don't think his point was it was jarring because why would someone so rich and famous commit suicide, just that it is, in fact, jarring when any well known person tries to take their own life.

Yup.

Quote:

I don't find it particualarly suprising since he's exhibited signs of being mentally unstable for years. Still, I feel bad for him and hope he gets the help that he needs.

If that's the case then that's sad. Clinical depression, if that's what this is, is rough. \
  • Reply 6 of 69
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Care to elaborate about the "wow"? Is attempting suicide so unusual in the US?

Care not to be your usual self?

What can I say...I'm near Philly and have followed him.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

What can I say...I'm near Philly and have followed him.

That seems to contradict

Quote:

I don't find it particualarly suprising since he's exhibited signs of being mentally unstable for years.

• Reply 8 of 69
    Chucker, yikes man, do you not follow the concept that something can be unsuprising but still jarring?

This isn't PO. There's no need to be snarky.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I don't understand why people have a problem with suicide. I see it as a solution to a problem. If your life isn't working out and you see no way to fix it then why not just end it? It seems crazy to me to continue through life suffering just to conform to society's view that life is good and you can overcome any problem.

When I look at the world around, I honestly don't think it's somewhere I want to be either. Lots of people view suicide as selfish and sometimes quite spiteful because they are being ungrateful to their family or in the case of celebrity to their fans. But people have no obligation to their families or friends.

You don't request to come into life, least of all the circumstances you are born into so why should you feel pressured into living a life you don't enjoy to satisfy people you didn't ask to be subjected to?

A lot of people attribute suicidal tendencies to mental instability too but that's no more apt than saying you're mentally unstable if you reject peanut butter when asked if you want it with toast. It may be the case where you are ok with peanut butter but you've grown tired of it and you just don't want it any more. It can be a choice like any other.

Suffice to say, it's a personal thing and it's not within our capacity to judge a person we don't know.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, it's shocking... yet somehow not. i think t.o. has been at odds with his true self and his public image for a very long time, and one has constantly been trying to snuff out the other. i think he's a fantastic wide receiver, who's had apparent personality problems ever since he blew up on the 49ers sideline years ago.i hope he gets better and can just concentrate on living life and his family can work through this okay.

what i find particularly galling, though, is his publicist trying to spin this off as just a medication reaction between two incompatible pills (according to espn broadcast). he took THIRTY-FIVE PILLS. what, so the first 34 pain killers were fine, but as soon as he took that multi-vitamin, it was emergency room time? look. i know the publicist is responsible for trying to keep t..'s public image such that he can garner licensing contracts, future football contracts, even post-football career in the commentator's booth or whatever. but just admit that it's a hard time for him and his family and thank the well-wishes of those who care. don't just friggin' LIE. it'll only make you look like a bigger doofus later.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I don't understand why people have a problem with suicide.

Well, you should probably take the time to try to find out then.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Quote:

Chucker, yikes man, do you not follow the concept that something can be unsuprising but still jarring?

This isn't PO. There's no need to be snarky.

I sure am not trying to downplay the severity of suicide, nor do I believe that such news isn't saddening. It seems to me that we are merely arguing semantics.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    No, you. are. Now please stick to the topic at hand or vacate the thread and let the people who want to discuss this story do so.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    I didn't go off-topic at all. *shakes head* The thread is about a celebrity attempting to commit suicide, and that's precisely what I discussed.

Whatever.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    I don't think he tried to commit suicide. I think this story got carried away. He probably just got fucked up, and ended up going too far. It's easy to take 5 or 6 of those things at a time. I mean, the guy is going to play on Sunday. If he didn't care about life he wouldn't be preparing for the upcoming week. Come on...

Besides, name one pro athlete that committed suicide. They don't. (Don't even f***ing try and google it either...)
  • Reply 16 of 69
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Lol. Looks like the story's not true. It's like a flashback to your threads in 2003, SDW...
  • Reply 17 of 69
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

I don't think he tried to commit suicide. I think this story got carried away. He probably just got fucked up, and ended up going too far. It's easy to take 5 or 6 of those things at a time. I mean, the guy is going to play on Sunday. If he didn't care about life he wouldn't be preparing for the upcoming week. Come on...

Besides, name one pro athlete that committed suicide. They don't. (Don't even f***ing try and google it either...)

Without even looking I can come up with two pro football player's names off the top of my head who attempted suicide (I believe they were both unsuccessful)

Dimitrius Underwood

Barret Robbins
  • Reply 18 of 69

Change that, name a successful pro athlete that's committed suicide.

Barret Robbins...Good one Flounder. I can't believe I didn't get that one. (Although he was a nut-job)

Nevertheless, T.O. didn't try to kill himself.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I don't understand why people have a problem with suicide. I see it as a solution to a problem. If your life isn't working out and you see no way to fix it then why not just end it? It seems crazy to me to continue through life suffering just to conform to society's view that life is good and you can overcome any problem.

When I look at the world around, I honestly don't think it's somewhere I want to be either. Lots of people view suicide as selfish and sometimes quite spiteful because they are being ungrateful to their family or in the case of celebrity to their fans. But people have no obligation to their families or friends.

Suffice to say, it's a personal thing and it's not within our capacity to judge a person we don't know.

Excellent post Marvin, though it IS more complicated than not liking peanut butter. Perhaps it belongs in a separate thread, as Terrell Owens suicide attempt is a serious thing. You'll find that the people most dead set against the idea of suicide tend to be the ones who really have no compassion for the human race (usually conservatives). I've already gathered the knowledge, and if any medical problem happens to me that I will be in pain forever, you can bet I will be solving that problem. I think everyone should have the knowledge to commit suicide if they find themselves in a position where they are helpless and unhappy.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Change that, name a successful pro athlete that's committed suicide.

Barret Robbins...Good one Flounder. I can't believe I didn't get that one.

Nevertheless, T.O. didn't try to kill himself.

I meant their attempts were unsuccessful. Dimitrius Underwood never had a successful career, true, but Barrett Robbins was a two time pro-bowler.

Nevertheless, you are correct, and this is all a pretty moot point