Stores up; still no MBP updates.

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

I thought they would do a event for the 64 bit chip too a while ago, but now that i think about it, they are having a redesign of the mobo and having a lot of upgrades to the MBP 1Q2007. This is where the case redesign would be, along with everything else. I think if they were to have an event, this would be the reason. New case, faster FSB, new mobo, possibly new GFX, faster CPU, and they will prob have higher res screens, more ports, and whatever else they are deciding to do.

I am still thinking they might skip the merom all together and just wait for the Santa Rosa. I'll say it again, I can't see Apple updating now, and then in two months updating again. No company will do this. If they do upgrade now, i wouldn't exspect Santa Rosa till 2Q2007 at the earliest because they need to get their bang for their buck too. We all know the PC world changes rapidly, but not two months. Not even Dell does 2 month upgrades. As for Apple and Merom, no one as of now is SHIPPING a merom notebook, so how do you want Apple to.

Then based on that logic, no company would bother coming out with a merom now, and would just wait for santa rosa. That obviously isn't happening. We're going to see an update, and it'll be soon.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Then based on that logic, no company would bother coming out with a merom now, and would just wait for santa rosa. That obviously isn't happening. We're going to see an update, and it'll be soon.

I'd be more worried about the quality of the updates than the frequency of them. Ever since the release of Tiger, Apple's new releases have been really buggy and/or riddled with problems. I've only seen this getting worse.

But to answer your response, He does have a point. It is a bit too frequent. I'm not saying they won't release Core 2 Duo soon. In fact I'm betting they will. But I think from now on it WILL only be minor speed bumps every revision. With the major stuff like GPU upgrade once a year, if that.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Quote:

I thought they would do a event for the 64 bit chip too a while ago, but now that i think about it, they are having a redesign of the mobo and having a lot of upgrades to the MBP 1Q2007. This is where the case redesign would be, along with everything else. I think if they were to have an event, this would be the reason. New case, faster FSB, new mobo, possibly new GFX, faster CPU, and they will prob have higher res screens, more ports, and whatever else they are deciding to do.

I am still thinking they might skip the merom all together and just wait for the Santa Rosa. I'll say it again, I can't see Apple updating now, and then in two months updating again. No company will do this. If they do upgrade now, i wouldn't exspect Santa Rosa till 2Q2007 at the earliest because they need to get their bang for their buck too. We all know the PC world changes rapidly, but not two months. Not even Dell does 2 month upgrades. As for Apple and Merom, no one as of now is SHIPPING a merom notebook, so how do you want Apple to.

And what exactly makes you think that Apple will release Santa Rosa machines as soon as they are available in 2007? I think we have learned with Merom that Apple doesn't give a crap about logical release dates with new chips.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin

And what exactly makes you think that Apple will release Santa Rosa machines as soon as they are available in 2007? I think we have learned with Merom that Apple doesn't give a crap about logical release dates with new chips.

Ok, because, as of right now, Apple laptops are selling like crazy. They don't have any real reason to update besides the fact that there is a new chip availible, or availible soon. The laptops will sell reguardless if they switch to merom or not. By the time Santa Rosa is availible 1Q2007, the line will indefinitly need an update, and that's where most of the new features will come from. Now, I am just guessing here, so take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt, for all I know, Apple could release a dual woodcrest laptop with, 4GB Ram, 25000 x 90000 screen rez, with dual DL burners, and a little green button that is secretly for blowing up all the middle east (all you have to do is "apple + little green button next to power button) and a dozen nukes will rain from they sky...now hows that for an update!!

...I'm very bored at work today
  • Reply 65 of 80
    hi guys, my first post on this board, and my first post on an anglophone board, hopefully you guys can understand my sluggish english.

i have been waiting for this update for month now. the first time i used a mac was about 2 years ago, it was a G4 PB, and i only thought "i need one of this". now after a long time of saving my credit card says "yes man, you can have one" but the macbook doesn't serve my needs completely and that's why i decided to wait for the MBP upgrade which i expected for early september. this would have fit perfectly into the start of the new semester.

i started to think about if apple might skip the C2D and after all, i think its highly unlikely. i still expect the MBP update within the next 2 weeks or at least a significant price update for both notebook lines, then beside the OS X, there are atm no reasons for the high prices. i just found out that a local retailer offers a sony vaio for 1700€ (C2D 1.83; 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, GF7600, 2.8kg) ready to ship within the next two weeks. this is a greate price and apple cannot compete with this performance at that price.

that's why i think that apple has to react, then beside all the glorification for apple which some people try to spread around here, they are a business and their ultimate goal is to sell as much units as they can and to make as much profit as possible. if the update comes and i am still quite shure it will come within the next two weeks, we will see a lot more than only a new cpu.what i learned the last few month since i started to find out things about this company and their strategies, is that apple always surprises its customers and fans.

hopefully we will be surprised soon...

otherwise i have only three options:

-to rent a notebook, which could be expensive (i have already sold my old computer), and wait for the next update.

-to buy another notebook from a different company, lenovo or sony. but i don't really want to do that....

-to buy a cheap/used macbook and resell it when the time comes....

greetings from austria
  • Reply 66 of 80
    Apple will release Merom notebooks - it does not take any extra work (drop in replacement) to do so, and it makes sense to do so (to keep up with the competition).

I don't care about Merom, but I want a 160gb BYO option before I buy.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    DIgital D -- You keep asking the question, "Why would apple do another upgrade in two months," and I keep wondering what the F you are referring to? 1H2007 ends 8 months from now -- intel is now just rolling out the merom chips. What moron company would skip a popular line of processors and wait up to half a year longer, when competing companies are going to run with it?

BTW, the current MBP design is almost 7 years old -- time for a refresh. Apple rushed to get the intel MBP first, and they've had some time to address some of the issues.

From a few hours ago, Intel announced Santa Rose is due in first half of 2007:

http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...leId=193006402
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump

DIgital D -- You keep asking the question, "Why would apple do another upgrade in two months," and I keep wondering what the F you are referring to? 1H2007 ends 8 months from now -- intel is now just rolling out the merom chips. What moron company would skip a popular line of processors and wait up to half a year longer, when competing companies are going to run with it?

BTW, the current MBP design is almost 7 years old -- time for a refresh. Apple rushed to get the intel MBP first, and they've had some time to actually address some of it's issues.

wow people get heated quick on these boards...I'm not saying this is how it's going to be, this is what I think, and originally it was 1Q2007 which is what mr mugwump??...the first three months of the new year...Now if it is the 1H2007 that changes things a little bit, cause they will not wait all that time to refresh, so you may be right, or you could be completely wrong. Unless your working right under Steve, you have just as much knoledge as I do, so take a deep breathe, sit back in your play school chair, relax, and ask mommy for some milk and cookies, cause you need a nap
  • Reply 69 of 80
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

BTW, the current MBP design is almost 7 years old -- time for a refresh.

My Pismo, who died a couple of days ago, was ordered the moment of its release in March 2000. about 6,5 years ago.

The Titanium G4 was introduced in January 2001.

But I don't consider it the same design as the current MacBook Pro.

The current design was introduced in Januari 2003 with the 12"/17" PowerbookG4

Indeed time for a refresh
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

BTW, the current MBP design is almost 7 years old -- time for a refresh. Apple rushed to get the intel MBP first, and they've had some time to address some of the issues.

...ok and just to quote from your link here it says...

"Intel introduced its first version of Centrino in 2003 and followed up with Wi-Fi support and enhanced performance in 2004. In July, Intel launched its Core 2 Duo Centrino processor, which was code-named Merom. The Santa Rosa Centrino platform is due to ship in the first quarter of 2007."

1Q2007
  • Reply 71 of 80
    Maybe the new 64 bit MBP could look like this?

I like the ears.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peharri

Maybe the new 64 bit MBP could look like this?

I like the ears.

Thats gotta be the most interesting laptop I've ever seen....It looks like it would be a great kids laptop, just because of the colors and the overall design of it, seems childish, but I'm glad to see people are thinking out of the box.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:

...ok and just to quote from your link here it says...

"Intel introduced its first version of Centrino in 2003 and followed up with Wi-Fi support and enhanced performance in 2004. In July, Intel launched its Core 2 Duo Centrino processor, which was code-named Merom. The Santa Rosa Centrino platform is due to ship in the first quarter of 2007."

1Q2007

Count on late first quarter then. Last time I saw anything, Santa Rosa were due April.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    Quote:

Thats gotta be the most interesting laptop I've ever seen....It looks like it would be a great kids laptop, just because of the colors and the overall design of it, seems childish, but I'm glad to see people are thinking out of the box.

It is exactly that, it's called The Children's Machine, but is probably better known under it's previous name of the One Hundred Dollar Laptop. (Makes a great improbable Apple design, but it's also excellent design in the same way as most Fisher Price is.) Rugged and with low power requirements, very nice.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Well Photokina has come and gone and no updates on a new MBP....

Which - basically sucks as I have waited and waited and waited to purchase the new Duo 2 MBP when it is announced..

Looking at the history of MBP updates it would now seem unlikely to me that there will be an update before the MacWorld conference in Jan 07.

But.. its point of no return for me now.. having waited so long to purchase there is no way I am going to buy the current offering when its so overdue for update.

It seems likely to me that Apple has the new MBP ready to ship - likely sitting in the warehouse and either

a: They want to clear out their current stock of current gen. MBP first

or

b: They are concerned about not having enough chips to meet demand.

Either way the wait goes on.....
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHolko

Looking at the history of MBP updates it would now seem unlikely to me that there will be an update before the MacWorld conference in Jan 07.

There isn't really any update history! Since being released it's only had a glossy screen and a tiny processor bump.

There have been loads of software updates over the past couple of weeks (22 if you include Aperture) which could (if rongold's observations are correct!) indicate that a new hardware release is imminent in the next 10 days or so, depending on whether software updates continue to come out of course which would push this date back.

My money is on Tuesday 3rd or Tuesday 10th Oct for new MacBook Pros. If not, I'll buy one anyway. . .
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSantoro

-to rent a notebook, which could be expensive (i have already sold my old computer), and wait for the next update.

-to buy another notebook from a different company, lenovo or sony. but i don't really want to do that....

You should probably wait as long as you possibly can and if there still isn't any upgrades, go with a MacBook, who knows, it might actually meet your needs

From my own observations, I consider Sony laptops to be of pretty poor quality. Sure they have good specs, and sometimes a gimmik or two, but they don't seem to hold up well to daily laptop use.

If you were to consider a PC laptop, I think these days that the HP business notebooks give the best features at good quality.

However, I think you'll still find you get the most value out of a Mac.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSantoro

greetings from austria

At the risk of stating the obvious:

There's nothing wrong with the current MBP. It's 32 bit instead of 64 bit (and that will be the major difference between it and its successors), but you can expect 32 bit software to be made for a long, long, time. It has FW400, but then that's what most of the rest of the world uses. It is slower than what will come after it, but so will the machine that comes after it.

If the MBP will suit your needs today, then buy an MBP today. You can't not buy something because a machine might come out in a few months that's better than it, because that's always true.

Moreover, remember that Apple has had plenty of time to fix the bugs in the current, Intel, MBP. Are you really planning to buy a first generation 64-bit MBP in January? ;-)

If the issue is power, don't get hung up on Apple. While Mac OS X is one of the nicest operating systems to use, the rest of the world isn't so bad. My experience is that Windows is awful, but you may like GNOME (the GUI provided with most GNU/Linux distributions), it's certainly several orders of magnitude more friendly than it's been in the past, and, in my view, is much, much, better than Windows. Try a Ubuntu LiveCD and see what you think. If you're prepared to accept it, then the range of computers available to you is enormous. And, personally, I think the Thinkpad, despite the Lenevo take over, is still the most elegant, best-built, laptop there is. It's a shame they can't get Mac OS X on it, because then it'd be perfect.

That said, there are no 64 bit laptops right now. It's just if you cast your net wider, you may end up with a nicer machine over-all than the currently hypothetical if almost certain 64-bit MBP.

But if you're stuck on Mac OS X, and I don't blame you if you are, consider the current line. Don't keep holding out, because there's always a better machine around the corner. Ask yourself if you can afford the current model, and if it'll be what you need for the next three years, and if the answer to both is "Yes", go buy it.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    Quote:

At the risk of stating the obvious:

There's nothing wrong with the current MBP. It's 32 bit instead of 64 bit (and that will be the major difference between it and its successors), but you can expect 32 bit software to be made for a long, long, time. It has FW400, but then that's what most of the rest of the world uses. It is slower than what will come after it, but so will the machine that comes after it.

If the MBP will suit your needs today, then buy an MBP today. You can't not buy something because a machine might come out in a few months that's better than it, because that's always true.

Moreover, remember that Apple has had plenty of time to fix the bugs in the current, Intel, MBP. Are you really planning to buy a first generation 64-bit MBP in January? ;-)

If the issue is power, don't get hung up on Apple. While Mac OS X is one of the nicest operating systems to use, the rest of the world isn't so bad. My experience is that Windows is awful, but you may like GNOME (the GUI provided with most GNU/Linux distributions), it's certainly several orders of magnitude more friendly than it's been in the past, and, in my view, is much, much, better than Windows. Try a Ubuntu LiveCD and see what you think. If you're prepared to accept it, then the range of computers available to you is enormous. And, personally, I think the Thinkpad, despite the Lenevo take over, is still the most elegant, best-built, laptop there is. It's a shame they can't get Mac OS X on it, because then it'd be perfect.

That said, there are no 64 bit laptops right now. It's just if you cast your net wider, you may end up with a nicer machine over-all than the currently hypothetical if almost certain 64-bit MBP.

But if you're stuck on Mac OS X, and I don't blame you if you are, consider the current line. Don't keep holding out, because there's always a better machine around the corner. Ask yourself if you can afford the current model, and if it'll be what you need for the next three years, and if the answer to both is "Yes", go buy it.

I would agree with you 100%, but being that Apple is going to 64 bit they need to upgrade a few things...The biggest one being ram slots...and I need all the ram I can get...I run a lot of programs at the same time, and they aren't lite at all. A lot of 3D, 2D, and audio apps with VSTi's are very demanding, and I run mutiple apps at once. So if I can hold out and get more ram and a little more speed, I'm willing to wait a little while longer.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:

I would agree with you 100%, but being that Apple is going to 64 bit they need to upgrade a few things...The biggest one being ram slots...and I need all the ram I can get...I run a lot of programs at the same time, and they aren't lite at all. A lot of 3D, 2D, and audio apps with VSTi's are very demanding, and I run mutiple apps at once. So if I can hold out and get more ram and a little more speed, I'm willing to wait a little while longer.

Oh, of course. The key part from what I wrote was this:

Quote:

Ask yourself if you can afford the current model, and if it'll be what you need for the next three years, and if the answer to both is "Yes", go buy it.

Clearly the current MBP, in your case, fails the "What you need for the next three years" test.

Good luck anyway!