Apple links to non-existent Mac mini Core 2 Duo page

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Around the same time that Apple Computer introduced Core 2 Duo updates to its 13-inch MacBook notebooks on Wednesday, the company also dropped hints that it may be mulling a similar update to its Mac mini line of petite desktop computers.

Specifically, tipsters point to an Intel Core Duo graphic on the left-hand side of Apple's Mac mini specifications page that links to a non-existent Mac mini Core 2 Duo product info page.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker last boosted the specs of the Mac mini this Sept., when it quietly updated the miniature desktops with faster Intel Core Duo processors at no added cost and dropped the one existing Core Solo configuration.

The $799 model was upgraded to a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor from a 1.66 GHz Core Duo chip, while the $599 model saw its aging 1.5 GHz Core Solo processor replaced with a 1.66 GHz Core Duo chip.

Each of the current models includes 512MB of of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), Intel's GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM, one FireWire 400 port, four USB 2.0 ports, a DVI output, VGA output, S-video port, built-in speakers, 10/100/1000BASE-T ethernet, AirPort wireless connectivity and a built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module.

The $799 Mac mini includes an 80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive and SuperDrive, while the $599 model packs a 60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive and Combo drive.

It should be noted that Wednesday's conspicuous reference to Core 2 Duo Mac minis may have been a mistake on the part of an Apple webmaster while revamping other parts of the company's site to reflect the new Core 2 Duo MacBook models.

Update: Apple has removed the link mentioned above, which was more than likely a mistake. The Intel Core Duo logo on the Mac mini specs page now returns viewers to the main Mac mini product page.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It would make sense.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Probably a mistake on their website. If you compare the Mac mini section to the MacBook section, the intel link in the MacBook section goes to the same place as clicking the "Intel Core 2 Duo" button, which is left of the "iLife '06" button. On the Mac mini section, the link is dead, yes, but clicking the "Intel Core Duo" button leads to a similar page than the MacBook one does, only that one describes the Core Duo, whereas the MacBook link goes to the description of the Core 2 Duo page.

Simply put: at least for the moment, they forgot to update the forwarding link on the Mac mini page.

BUT if they have planned for the future, which I think they have, the forwarding link would point to the Intel Core 2 Duo page (www.apple.com/productname/intelcoreduo.html). So this is clearly a preparation for future upgrade plans, but nobody knows when the Mac mini will be upgraded. I would guess at MWSF '07...
  • Reply 3 of 24
    existent, with an e

existant, with an a, is not an English word
  • Reply 4 of 24
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    is it just me or is the apple store still down? does that indicate they may be doing more than updating the macbook?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cj171

is it just me or is the apple store still down? does that indicate they may be doing more than updating the macbook?

The store IS still down. Curiouser and curiouser...
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Only US is down.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    My guess: Mac Mini goes 64-bit at MWSF - so that Steve can talk about being all 64-bit for Leopard.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    They should go...

Mac mini with CoreSolo $499

Mac mini with CoreDuo $599

Mac mini with Core2Duo $799
  • Reply 9 of 24
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

The store IS still down. Curiouser and curiouser...

They added a holiday gift guide as well ( was that added already though? i don't remember )
  • Reply 10 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    At some point Apple will use Core 2. They would want to get 64 bits across their entire line.

But, as we can see today, they raised the price on the MacBooks in doing it.

Yes, it's true that more RAM and HD space was also added, but that's always the case when upgrading the lines. The prices for these upgrades have been coming down, so Apple passes the price drop on to us with more, rather than to drop the price.

But, it shows that the Mini would need to be upgraded when they might not have to increase the price. $50 is not so much for a $1,049 machine, but it sure is for one costing $799 and less.

Where does Apple want to go with this? That's the question. They already raised the prices significantly when going Intel.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

At some point Apple will use Core 2. They would want to get 64 bits across their entire line.

But, as we can see today, they raised the price on the MacBooks in doing it.

Yes, it's true that more RAM and HD space was also added, but that's always the case when upgrading the lines. The prices for these upgrades have been coming down, so Apple passes the price drop on to us with more, rather than to drop the price.

But, it shows that the Mini would need to be upgraded when they might not have to increase the price. $50 is not so much for a $1,049 machine, but it sure is for one costing $799 and less.

Where does Apple want to go with this? That's the question. They already raised the prices significantly when going Intel.

Huh? The prices of the macbooks look the same to me as the last generation. Am I missing something? or are you referring to when they made the switch to intel? Sorry, I'm confused.

Edit - That IS what you meant. I need to read more carefully.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Apple's 1 mac away from being completely 64-bit. Sweet. That's a brag.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Huh? The prices of the macbooks look the same to me as the last generation. Am I missing something? or are you referring to when they made the switch to intel? Sorry, I'm confused.

Edit - That IS what you meant. I need to read more carefully.

From what I remember, the MacBooks started out from $1,049.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

My guess: Mac Mini goes 64-bit at MWSF - so that Steve can talk about being all 64-bit for Leopard.

I agree that a MWSF '07 announcement of the Mac mini going to Core 2 would be a good showman technique to push. And considering that the Mac mini went from Solo to Duo in September, January would only be a 3 or 4 month life for the Duo before it goes to Duo 2.

Plus that would be good for those switching from Windows machines, as the Duo 2 would be even more robust for running BootCamp or Parallels Windows.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young

I agree that a MWSF '07 announcement of the Mac mini going to Core 2 would be a good showman technique to push. And considering that the Mac mini went from Solo to Duo in September, January would only be a 3 or 4 month life for the Duo before it goes to Duo 2.

Plus that would be good for those switching from Windows machines, as the Duo 2 would be even more robust for running BootCamp or Parallels Windows.

It all depends on how many chips are available, and what their cost is. Apple won't come out with something for "bragging" rights, unless they will make a GOOD profit on it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

That would make sense.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

From what I remember, the MacBooks started out from $1,049.

I don't think so. 1049 was (and is still) the education price for the 1099 macbook. That's what I thought anyways. Can someone clear this up?

Edit:

oooh, I was right, yeah!

From apple-history.com

Quote:

The low-end model, with a 1.83 GHz Core Duo processor, 512 MB of RAM, a 60 GB hard drive, and a CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive, sold for $1,099.

• Reply 18 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Mac Mini will be all Core2Duo within 4 months, IMHO.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Mac Mini will be all Core2Duo within 4 months, IMHO.

[Butthead]that would be the greatest thing [/Butthead]
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Around the same time that Apple Computer introduced Core 2 Duo updates to its 13-inch MacBook notebooks on Wednesday, the company also dropped hints that it may be mulling a similar update to its Mac mini line of petite desktop computers.

Specifically, tipsters point to an Intel Core Duo graphic on the left-hand side of Apple's Mac mini specifications page that links to a non-existent Mac mini Core 2 Duo product info page.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker last boosted the specs of the Mac mini this Sept., when it quietly updated the miniature desktops with faster Intel Core Duo processors at no added cost and dropped the one existing Core Solo configuration.

Fact of Intel life - change will be fast and furious.