Adobe's CS3 seen driving new Mac sales in 2007

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

If you think they do, that's wishful thinking.

Hardly. It would have been reckless for Jobs to greenlight Aperture without taking into account what would happen if Adobe took their ball and went solely to Windows. One doesn't make that kind of gamble with a multi-billion dollar company.

I doubt it's beyond the prototype stage, but Jobs would have drawn up a plan about how Apple would quickly combine its Aperture, ColorSync and Core Image technologies into a Photoshop competitor.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

Hardly. It would have been reckless for Jobs to greenlight Aperture without taking into account what would happen if Adobe took their ball and went solely to Windows. One doesn't make that kind of gamble with a multi-billion dollar company.

I doubt it's beyond the prototype stage, but Jobs would have drawn up a plan about how Apple would quickly combine its Aperture, ColorSync and Core Image technologies into a Photoshop competitor.

That's a big assumption.

Aperture is a program that as far as Apple knew, had no competition. We know now that Adobe had been working on lightroom for a while as well. But, Apple didn't know that.

They might not have even come out with it if Adobe had come out with theirs last year.

Competing against PS is a very different matrter.

Apple's program, out of the box, would have to compete on features, and maturity. Very difficult to do.

They would suffer greatly without having other programs such as illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign, etc. to go with it. Adobe's programs are part of an ecology of software from numerous third parties, and hardware. Publishing syatems are built around it and quark as well. Apple would have to break into all of that, and it's almost impossible.

Apple can't even get iWork off the ground properly.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Apple can't even get iWork off the ground properly.

Well yes, but iWork's problems have more to do with keeping Office on the platform than anything else.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

Well yes, but iWork's problems have more to do with keeping Office on the platform than anything else.

The point it that there has been, ever since it first came out, plenty of talk here about all of the "secret" software Apple is working on so that it can REPLACE Office. Every time an update is near, people say that this will be the time!

I'm hoping that Apple doesn't try to oppose PS. It won't be good for Apple OR Adobe.

It will weaken both, and that is what MS is looking for. They've been showing their PS/Illustrator killers around for almost two years now. A weakened Adobe will be just the thing for them to use as a reason to buy their versions. And, they DON'T work on OS X.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice

I'm a pro user I guess.

I upgraded and am content with the performance of all the adobe CS2 apps with a huge exception, Illustrator. It crashes so frequently that I'm keeping my old G5 around just to use illustrator on. I can't wait to get my hands on CS3.

flick.

I was having many crashes in Illustrator CS2. Try unchecking the appearance menu. This alleviated MOST of my crashes. I seemed to crash almost whenever I used the knife tool, but unchecking the menu has stopped it!

Hope this helps. Adobe has many answers like this one on their site.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playthebanjo

I was having many crashes in Illustrator CS2. Try unchecking the appearance menu. This alleviated MOST of my crashes. I seemed to crash almost whenever I used the knife tool, but unchecking the menu has stopped it!

Hope this helps. Adobe has many answers like this one on their site.

The only problem I'm aware of that a number of people have had is with the Path tools.