Last Active
  • Despite Thunderbolt, iPad to Mac communication is still a mess

    rundhvid said:
    Big Hint: the M1 iPad Pro comes with a USB-C cable for connecting to Macs. 
    I have M1 iPad Pro. The cable is meant for charging, not data transfer. Not all Thunderbolt/USB-C cables are created equal. I also use it to connect to MacBook Pro for Sidecar because MacOS recommends it. And it works fine as Sidecar.
    It doesn’t.
    Sidecar is enabled by Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
    You can verify this by switching the cable from your MBP to a power adapter.
    When it’s connected (and works), SideCar operates over USB. It will automatically switch back to Wi-Fi if the USB cable is disconnected (you’ll get a prompt on the iPad screen). A wired cable is faster and more reliable… in theory. 
  • Despite Thunderbolt, iPad to Mac communication is still a mess

    Big Hint: the M1 iPad Pro comes with a USB-C cable for connecting to Macs. 
    It is a cheap USB-C cable that operates at USB 2.0 speeds, which significantly undercuts the capabilities of the Thunderbolt ports on both the Mac and the iPad Pro. It’s fine for charging, but is a poor data transfer cable. 
  • Wristcam review: The most feature-complete Apple Watch accessory to date

    datumax said:
    Wow they finally shipped. Good on them for not giving up given they were years past their proposed crowdfunding campaign ship date. I doubted the CMRA team and wound up getting my refund in 2018 I think. 

    While I was waiting, I realized just how fast Apple moves, and how far ahead they are of other product companies. That had to make it difficult for this team to time their release, given how often the hardware and software specs change or are rumored to. It will be interesting to see how long the team takes to respond to a new Apple Watch form factor. Given the rumors of a thinner, flat edged model coming soon, this might have been their last chance to ship before having to hit the drawing board again. 

    But yeah, good review. 
    The rubber exterior that covers the camera component includes the wrist strap connector. So theoretically, if Apple were to change to a new method/size of wrist band attachment, they could offer an inexpensive replacement rubber piece to fit, without having to replace the camera hardware itself.

    I would imagine Apple is very reluctant to change the size of the band connector given the massive number of existing bands on the market. Don't forget that they increased the watch screen sizes yet kept the exact same connector. Much the same reason that the iPhone won't switch to USB-C, even if it has some advantages over Lightning — it would just upset a lot of loyal customers who are devoted to (and heavily invested in) a market leading product. Don't be surprised if a completely redesigned Apple Watch still fits all of the legacy bands.
  • Wristcam review: The most feature-complete Apple Watch accessory to date

    mr lizard said:
    “but frankly, we did not feel any sort of privacy concerns when using it.”

    Um yeah… the privacy concerns aren’t from the people using the device. They’re from the people who might have their picture taken. 
    Frankly, wearing your iPhone in a breast pocket and discreetly snapping photos via Apple's Camera app for Apple Watch seems like more of a privacy concern than this device.
  • 2021 Apple TV 4K Review: Seeking a blockbuster, given a Band-Aid

    jwdawso said:
    Another Neil article where he has no clue who AI and Apple customers are. 
    If you, the reader, think AI "core" readers are the "typical" Apple user, you're really mistaken in that regard.

    For instance, if you think that, then you think that nearly the entire Apple user base wants a Mac mini tower, with PCI and PCI-E storage. The reality is, almost nobody outside the "core" AI readership gives a single crap about it. In fact, most prefer thin and light everything, instead of the constant cry that we get here for a shitload of ports, and thick to support that.

    Reviews like this have to appeal and apply to the larger audience, and not just the AI "core." Related to this, we've turned off comments on tips, because of ridiculous comments like "Why did you write this, this is obvious" -- when it really isn't to most.

    The AI "core" is 30% of our total readership, and dropping, as Apple's reach grows and we grow in readership. We're not abandoning that core, but there is zero chance we're going to ignore the other 70%.
    Almost any Apple customer (AI reader or not) who already owns a 2017 Apple TV 4K has very little reason to upgrade to this model. If you own a pre-2017 Apple TV and want to stay in the ecosystem, or you're new to the platform, and you don't want to use a device that spies on you, sure, you'll be happy — but you waited four years for this? Reviews shouldn't exist in a vacuum, and this device needs to be compared to the four-year-old previous-gen model.

    The new hardware is a borderline non-update, aside from the remote.