- Last Active
tzmmtz said:Can someone explain what this means and how you go about it? " In fact, sometimes we find ourselves deferring to recording video and using the image capture tool in Apple's Camera app to get the best results". Is this referring to shooting in 4K 60 then somehow extracting a still from that shoot in the camera app?
GeorgeBMac said:Nope! I'm not buying it:
That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen. To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.
Plus, it's time for an SE update. THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.
Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini. For many uses its the perfect size. But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
We really appreciate the vibrant, opinionated and intelligent community that contributes to AppleInsider's comment section, especially those of you who have been here for many years. As the site, and Apple's market, continues to grow, we've noticed that an increasing number of threads are hijacked and dragged off course by inflammatory or otherwise off-topic posts.As a result, we're amplifying and clarifying the AppleInsider comment moderation guidelines.In general, any comment that contributes something positive to the conversation is welcome, and those that don't will be purged without remorse. If you have to think if your post draft will be deleted after submission because of something you've written that may be in violation of the forum rules, then don't post it.Equally enforced rules help to ensure that all our members have a positive and responsive experience on the forums. Repeat violators of any of these rules will find themselves subject to loss of posting privileges, after due warning.These rules are to be considered part of the AppleInsider Forum Terms of Service. If you do not agree to these terms, then let us know and we will delete your account.About ModerationModerators and forum administrators have the final say on any moderation decision, including the right to close, rename, or delete any thread, plus edit or delete any post, for any reason at any time. Any explanation from the AppleInsider moderation team is voluntary and may not be provided, even upon request.Remember also that just because a moderator has not noticed a violation does not mean that the rule is no longer valid, no longer being enforced, etc. Report violations accordingly.It is inappropriate to challenge or discuss ongoing moderation in a thread. A Private Message to a moderator is the proper method to discuss same.We encourage
Forum RulesPosts in violation of any of the rules will be deleted. Replies to a deleted post will also likely be stricken, or edited, by moderating staff.
- Sharing of unique perspectives, opinions, or insights based on your experience.
- Fact-based debates.
- Disagreement without trolling.
- Speculation on why Apple Park's main building is shaped like a spaceship, and not an apple, or similar musings surrounding Apple, compatible software and hardware, and big tech news items.
- Assisting other users with problems and troublesome tech issues.
- Listening to others' points of view, and having civil debates about them.
When all else fails, just remember - be civil! Don't say things here that you wouldn't say face-to-face, or in front of your own children.Falling astray of the rules once or occasionally isn't a problem. We understand -- things happen. But, we are watching. Repeat offenders of the rules will be warned to not continue with the behavior.What will certainly get you banned
- Multiple accounts per user are not allowed, nor is making a new one after a ban. We already know which of you have created new accounts after a prior ban, and you're being grandfathered in -- but don't do it again, and don't repeat the crimes that got you banned in the first place.
- Denigrating a new user because of a low post-count isn't polite, and isn't allowed. As a reminder, your post count says nothing about the worth of your posts or value of your opinion.
- Do not complain about typos, timeliness, newsworthiness, how something is covered, or relevance to AppleInsider. If you see typos or grammar issues or have other complaints we do want to hear about them, but please email us (news at appleinsider dot com).
- Don't start personal flame-wars with other commenters or insult AppleInsider's editors for tone, bias, or how they chose to cover a story or feature.
- No piracy. Threads that share software or media illegally, explain how to pirate, solicit information on how to pirate, etc. will be removed. Jailbreaking is not equivalent piracy, nor is Bittorrent. However, discussion on how to use either to do so will be deleted.
- No adult content. We have many underage members, and many members view the forums from the workplace, where adult content may violate regulations. Related, keep the language PG-13. No profanity-laced tirades.
- Remain civil. While we will never censor based on a point of view, you must present your views in a civil manner.
- No ad hominem attacks, or similar, against anybody, on the forums or not. "Fanboy," "sheep," and other similar permutations are not allowed by any user, at any time.
- If you are going to bicker with someone, do it through a private message, email, or instant messaging. There's no need to annoy everyone with it.
- Don't post nonsense threads, +1 posts, or anything else lacking semantic value.
- Don't hijack or derail threads. Stay on topic. If you want to discuss a detail or offshoot, start another thread.
- Don't spam a single thread or multiple ones with substantively the same content.
- Don't turn a thread into a partisan political discussion. "This wouldn't have happened if X was in office!" or the inverse, is unnecessarily inflammatory and serves no useful purpose.
- Similarly, there is no value in "This wouldn't have happened if Jobs was still alive."
- Don't ask for replies via email or private message. That defeats the purpose of a forum, of allowing everyone to see the question and replies.
- AppleInsider is independent, and takes no money from Apple at all. Comments contrary to that will be deleted.
- Don't try to bait other forum-goers into breaking the rules. If we think you are, that gets you a strike too!
- Refrain from remarks like "AppleInsider needs a copy editor," "why is this on AppleInsider," "this is old news," "must be a slow news day" and other similar commentary that does not contribute to the topic at hand.
- The term "fake news" and derivations of same, is henceforth banned. They are all lazy and meaningless. Find some other way to make your point.
A note on price guides, affiliate links, and advertisersAppleInsider does partner with advertisers, most notably in our price guides. These partnerships are always clearly identified. Editorial staff is never asked to skew coverage based on advertising, nor does AppleInsider accept "payola" for news item placement. Our writers have been given wide latitude to write about relevant topics, and anything not explicitly marked as advertising is news content chosen by our editors solely because they found it interesting and noteworthy.Any comments suggesting otherwise will be removed without warning or discussion.AppleInsider is not a hobby. Any link on the site may or may not earn AppleInsider as a whole revenue as a result of a reader purchase.Edited January 16, 2017: Clarified rules, and added thresholds for bans.Edited March 1, 2018: Banned the term "Fake News"
- Posting adult content -- no warning given.
- We have a strict zero-tolerance stance on spam. Any commercial messages posted by users without approval of AppleInsider will be immediately closed, the links removed, and the poster banned with no warning.
- After a moderator has warned about a behavior, do not persist. If you do so even once after being warned it will earn a ban.
- Racism or sexism in any form.
- Threats of violence -- these will be reported to relevant authorities after we ban you.
Edited June 19, 2019: Expanding ad hominem attack rules.
midwestapplefan said:Oh how nice. We can post comments here but the one yesterday on the locked phone for the Texas shooter was closed because it was too political. Porn is more appropriate than politics I guess.
As for this story, I think it's pretty clear that anyone who would post "revenge porn" to hurt someone else is a despicable human being. Anyone here who disagrees with that basic assessment can feel free to let me know and get a swift ban.
ericthehalfbee said:"known for extremely expensive devices made with high-end materials"
Except it ran Android.
repressthis said:transmaster said:The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...🤔
I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.
rogifan_new said:Seems like a lot of speculation and not much else. Why do rumor sites give this guy so much attention?
And the 10.5-inch iPad Pro back in August of 2016:
And the new 9.7-inch entry-level iPad in January of this year:
And the (alleged) $1000-and-up pricing of the "iPhone 8" this February:
And the features and capabilities of HomePod in March:
Is his track record perfect? No, it's not. But nobody else out there provides, in terms of quantity, more accurate information on Apple's hardware pipeline than Ming-Chi Kuo. Not Gruber, not Gurman, not anyone else.
wood1208 said:Is there a table showing how long it takes minutes/hours for 7.5W wireless charging pad to charge iPhone in % like 10%, 30%, 50%, 90%, 100% etc and similar for lightening port adapter (5W, USB-C) ?
BittySon said:If the phone is connected to the unit's wifi, which is not connected to the internet, how will the phone then connect to the internet since wifi takes priority over cellular?
All-Purpose Guru said:airnerd said:Looks good. Needs a banana for scale.
Take a picture of it with an iPhone sitting next to it, or a business card, or *something*. Even a banana would work, yes, but they come in different sizes, but it would at least give us an idea.