A closer look at Apple's advanced notebook battery tech

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

From Apple website: "For Apple notebooks with removable batteries ? such as the MacBook, MacBook Air, and 15-inch MacBook Pro ? a properly maintained battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs."

Your battery will not just die after 300 cycles but it will not hold as much charge as it used to. My MBP is 2 months old and already at 65 cycles. This means one cycle a a day and maybe I will have to replace my battery after one and half year of usage.

That's not 100% correct, all it means is after 300 charges if you are getting 4 hours, what I get with 60 cycles so far=4 hours, real world, than after 300, you would get 80 % of 4 hours, that's all. They say the ideal user is someone who uses the laptop on a train to work, then plugs it in once they get to work with them draining it once a month until dead, then 3 hours in hibernation.

Seriously though, 4 hours is more accurate, the macbooks are a bit better at 6 hours or so due to smaller screen. But Apple should release software that turns off one core or ramps down the CPU / GPU big time for web surfing, writing, or someone out there should write this software as we could get double the life with cutting the GPU/CPU/FPU cycles down as you don't need much to type MS WORD, ILIFE, surfing WEB.

Any idea why there is no software that does this?

That said, with many of us using laptops as desktops, I have some really cool ideas to make the laptop stronger when plugged in - who do I submit patient ideas>?

Thanks
  • Reply 122 of 166
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I thought they were talking about the silver-zinc battery more expensive but last longer and more "green" Zpower said that a major manufacturer was slated to use it, i thought apple but i guess i was wrong.

http://www.zpowerbattery.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver-oxide_battery

video.gearlive.com/video/article/q108-ces-2008-video-zpower-silver-zinc-batteries/ - 102k -

http://venturebeat.com/2008/04/01/wi...s-this-summer/

instead of carrying other batteries carry an external silver_zinc instead.
  • Reply 123 of 166
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

And I'm extremely tired of people complaining about Apple targeting consumers instead of professionals. If I was looking to be successful and make a ton of cash, I'd target the broadest market available, general consumers. The moms and pops and tweens that edit and post photos/videos with as little hassle as possible, that surf the web, that write school essays, and do home finances. Apple seemingly has found a way to target Toyota's market with Mercedes' profit margins. So they're a little low-end for the neediest professionals and gamers, so they're a little high-end for casual users, I still think they hit the mark.

You're entitled to that right but look at a company such as digidesign. They bought MAUDIO as they were losing millions to home recording, now they have MAUDIO (Consumer) and their HD systems, PRO users. But Apple completely abandoned the PRO, not really the fan, but the PRO. In fact when they came out with Logic, for the first year, DIGI released only a WINDOWS version of HD - which by the way, windows is used more in the #1 school for editing now, even with FCP, as I was shown, at the school, how cheap yet effective the newer DELL SERVERS scale and how powerful they can be compared to MAC. I was shocked to learn this. The school is Media Symphony in Burbank.

10 years ago, Pro Tools studios and Avid (the mother of Digi) were #1 around the world.

Today, Pro Tools is still #1 in the studios but are very few compared to years ago, many have closed their doors and some studio owners are working retail for music hardware retail stores. Avid is being replaced by FCP or Vegas for video. For PC, many are using NUENDO and of course the markets that used to be huge with pro tools LE (consumer) has been replaced by Apogee , Apple or Mackie/Apogee and PC's as the consumer can do much more than just 10 years ago. Digi realizing the semi PRO wanted certain things, they released Pro Tools 8 just a few weeks ago which gave the user 7.1 access, something they have been asking for for years and Digi listened.

Apple on the other hand has turned a deaf ear to the Pro market, the people who stuck by them through the 1990's, a time where Apple almost went away yet how are they rewarded? Well once Apple had the success of the iPhone, Apple focuses all their efforts on the consumer.

Add to that the Macbook could be used for MOTION/FINAL CUT (earlier Macbooks) even though OPeN GL was slow, Apple went out of their way to release a newer GMA that effected only those using PRO APPS and made it impossible to use the PRO APPS. The first benchmarks were 171%, it dropped to 70%, again affecting only the PRO APPS - as the consumer couldn't play games on the machine anyway. Is that the right way to reward PRO USERS that have been with them for years? To go out of their way to make sure they can't have a back up machine that's cheap to use and cripple the macbook? Then Apple releases a newer Macbook with a great GPU = great gaming which would have meant great PRO APP use, so what does Apple do? They take firewire away. So no video cameras. Only this time, not only does it affect PRO USERS who wanted a cheaper back up machine, but it also affected those that used TARGET disc mode, thousands and thousands of musicians (as most semi pro high end audio uses firewire 400), and many mom and pop users that have fire wire video camcorder's, ALL DUE To APPLE AFRAID THAT THE NEW MACBOOK WITH STELLAR GRAPhicS (GPU) WOULD MEAN THE PRO could USe it... again, Apple going out of their way.

It's one thing to say that Apple this, Apple that, but when you see the truth, you see not only has APPLE abandoned the PRO user, they go OUT OF THEIR WAY to SMACK DOWN their use on any CHEAP SOLUTION instead of rewarding them for sticking with them through thick and thin -

Apple will release the products we all want once Jobs steps down, you watch and see - Apple will double in market share when this happens. Until then, Jobs makes sure that the PRO always has to spend almost double the $$$$ simply to do one extra thing.
  • Reply 124 of 166
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

That's not 100% correct, all it means is after 300 charges if you are getting 4 hours, what I get with 60 cycles so far=4 hours, real world, than after 300, you would get 80 % of 4 hours, that's all. They say the ideal user is someone who uses the laptop on a train to work, then plugs it in once they get to work with them draining it once a month until dead, then 3 hours in hibernation.

Seriously though, 4 hours is more accurate, the macbooks are a bit better at 6 hours or so due to smaller screen. But Apple should release software that turns off one core or ramps down the CPU / GPU big time for web surfing, writing, or someone out there should write this software as we could get double the life with cutting the GPU/CPU/FPU cycles down as you don't need much to type MS WORD, ILIFE, surfing WEB.

Any idea why there is no software that does this?

That said, with many of us using laptops as desktops, I have some really cool ideas to make the laptop stronger when plugged in - who do I submit patient ideas>?

Thanks

What is not 100% accurate?! What you've just said about battery life is what i have posted!!! Personally, I will probably replace my battery when I start getting less than 3 hours (about 75% based on 4 hours). Based on my usage (average of one charge cycle a day), I estimate is that I will hit that in one year and half max.

You can turn off one core easily in Leopard (and maybe Tiger) and Apple offered dual graphic cards in the latest MB to give users choice to get more time when on battery power. However, I've read somewhere that turning off one core won't help you increase your battery life.
  • Reply 125 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I think that having a pass-through so one could charge the external while plugged in would be a good idea. I wonder if the amount of power delivered would need to be higher in this case (charging the external and internal batteries, while also powering the notebook).

Even if it couldn't, adaptive charging* could charge the internal and then the external. Even have the OS X Menu Bar list both.

* New Apple buzz word, despite being around for many, many years.
  • Reply 126 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

That's right! Taking functionality away is innovation.

Actually it is. Recognizing the passing of old tech knowlogy is as important as having a handle on where tech goes in the future. After all modern electronic packaging can only support so much I/O.

Quote:

. I can't wait for them top take away that pesky screen. And the keyboard.

Actually it would make a lot of sense for Apple to find alternatives to these rather old I/O methods. Direct links to the brain would be nice but I'd settle for voice communications with an AI program to handle or manage your various tasks on the computer.

Quote:

Being an Apple, it will know what I want just by me laying on my hands.

Hey it works for the Cylons why not for us.

Quote:

And Steve's wisdom will flow though my palms... Nirvana!

Ideally more than Steves wisdom as he has pulled more than a few boners.

Not to be unkind but with your point of view we would all be running Vic20s as our computers. Frankly it was a nice Toy in it's day but I'd hate to be stuck with it's I/O set. Innovation requires weighing the value of the old ways of doing something against multiple possible new ways of solving a problem.

I'm not trying to defend Apples approach with the built in battery as honestly it leads to mixed feelings. In the end the battery is not a big deal over all. Rather what is is the sum of all the little bits of innovation that have gone into this new MBP.

The pics that show the machine with the bottom cover off, put on display one elegant machine. It demonstrates how innovation in manufacturing ( unibody) leads to innovation in layout and serviceability. Let's face it even withou the big battery the new MBP looks yummy inside.

Dave
  • Reply 127 of 166
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

"The battery in the 17-inch MacBook Pro should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider."

Key word highlighted in bold. Just as they aren't going to come out say you can't, I doubt they will come out and say you can (because then they would have to support it). But they can't - by law - prevent you from changing it.

And they know it, otherwise there would be a different word instead of should up there.
  • Reply 128 of 166
    Quote:

Apple won't let them do it without voiding their warranty.

Please stop repeating statements that simply aren't true. It's against the law for them to void your warrant for simply changing the battery yourself.

No matter how much you may wish it to be true so you have something to whine about
  • Reply 129 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This whole notion of not being able to replace one's battery is what is most appalling.

This whole notion of baseless speculation before anyone has even had a chance to review the item in question is what's really appalling.
  • Reply 130 of 166
    Quote:

Because Apple can survive off a fixed list of customers for all time to come, without ever needing to add more customers

No, because it's a vast minority of internet blowhards such as yourself putting up a fuss.

For all the talk about how bad glossy is, I find it amazing that FOUR MONTHS LATER Apple still has brand new (let alone refurb) matte MacBook Pro's on clearance.

Guess what princess - your pea is insignificant to normal people.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    Quote:

SO why is the an antiglare option now ?

To hopefully shut people up?

It also has a $50 fee to cover the overhead with dealing with low volume requests. Hopefully they will offer it on the 15" too and then we will probably see that most of the complainers had no intention of buying a new notebook anyway
  • Reply 132 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Hello fanboy - I see you have no opportunity for getting laid anytime soon and have lots of free time

Pot, kettle?

Quote:

There's been more than 2 battery recalls in the last generation of Macbooks. My own REMOVABLE battery was (conveniently) swapped by Apple at one of their stores. No muss no fuss.

And? Why are many of the anti-fanboys acting like the battery is an integral part of the machine, welded into place or something?

Ridiculous! Why wouldn't they be able to remove 10 screws and swap a battery if there was a recall?

Quote:

Don't worry - reality won't impede in your fantasy

What reality are you using to call his statements fantasy? You haven't even seen the notebook, or how the battery is installed in the computer - yet your here insulting someone, calling them a fanboy and implying they are living in a fantasy land? The irony would be funny if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

Hey, the iPhone 3G battery is removable - it's not soldered like the first iPhone battery was. There is no reason to believe this notebook will be any different. But before calling someone out, why don't we wait for a review?
  • Reply 133 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Please stop repeating statements that simply aren't true. It's against the law for them to void your warrant for simply changing the battery yourself.

Frankly, I don't see how this applies, unless there's a more detailed copy of the law out there that specifically says Apple cannot void your warranty by opening the case, even if to replace your battery. If I read your intent correctly, that means I could swap out the hard drive in my MacBook Pro without voiding my AppleCare, which is simply not true. I think Apple would have a very good case to void my warranty.

I get that they probably cannot void my warranty by installing a third-party battery in my laptop, but if I have to crack the case to get to the battery, then all bets are off.
  • Reply 134 of 166
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company's track record for using non-replacable batteries in its iPod and iPhone models has long been ridiculed by pundits who have insisted that the company made that engineering decision primarily to force users to pay hefty fees to replace the batteries once they reached the end of their useful lifespan.

There is one way to test this. Apple should put their money where their mouth is. Don't charge any service fee to install a new battery. Allow users to purchase a replacement battery anywhere, bring it to an Apple store, and have the battery installed while the user waits. And with no service fee. Even if the laptop is out of warranty. If charging users a fee is not the reason for this non-removable battery, then Apple should have no problem with installing batteries for free after the user pays for just the battery.
  • Reply 135 of 166
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

No, because it's a vast minority of internet blowhards such as yourself putting up a fuss.

For all the talk about how bad glossy is, I find it amazing that FOUR MONTHS LATER Apple still has brand new (let alone refurb) matte MacBook Pro's on clearance.

Guess what princess - your pea is insignificant to normal people.

iMac hockey puck mouse is better than a normal mouse.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

There will be no iPhone SDK. Nobody wants third party native applications on the iPhone. It is bad to have third party native applications on the iPhone. Web apps are really, really sweet.

Intel is evil. Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 136 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

I thought they were talking about the silver-zinc battery more expensive but last longer and more "green" Zpower said that a major manufacturer was slated to use it, i thought apple but i guess i was wrong.

http://www.zpowerbattery.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver-oxide_battery

video.gearlive.com/video/article/q108-ces-2008-video-zpower-silver-zinc-batteries/ - 102k -

http://venturebeat.com/2008/04/01/wi...s-this-summer/

instead of carrying other batteries carry an external silver_zinc instead.

Initially I thought they might too.

Silver is just too expensive I think, but if this ever comes about it could mean 8 hour removable batteries.
  • Reply 137 of 166
    This already exists:

TuneJuice for iPhone and iPod uses four AAA batteries for power, allowing for access to a worldwide standard battery for iPod power in the field. It works with most every dock-connector iPod and offers 24-hours of music, six hours of video or two hours of talk time. It ships in January for $30. The Charge Converter (FireWire to USB) works with legacy chargers, adapting them to charge the iPhone 3G and 2008 iPods. It ships in January for $30.

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/01...ches.new.gear/

so, they or SOMEONE will make the same thing for Unibody 17' MBP

So, let's say one is running around with it in Manhattan, or walking in the Jungle - and doing Show and Tells for Monkeys or Suits, no outlets, restaurants won't let you use it, t!!!!!!! So, in between, that TuneJuice-like device is connected to this 17' in the backpack, while walking or on the horse and it charges is! On the horse = solar charging. In the car = simple!

The only drawback would be the ELEGANCE of it being INSIDE the MPB 17'. But it's not a HUGE trade off, and the BENEFITS outweigh it...

If AIRLINES might not let you bring one on board, or even check in, THAT could be a PROBLEM, if the MANUFACTURERS don't EDUCATE them ahead of time!!!!!!!!!!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED, for MOST ALL!, right???????????

I think after YEARS of bad batteries, this FEAR is more PSYCHOLOGICAL...
  • Reply 138 of 166
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Apple will release the products we all want once Jobs steps down, you watch and see - Apple will double in market share when this happens.

Why would Apple want to sell more of the cheap stuff and less of the expensive ones??

It was >20 years since Apple was in a better position than now - and APPL is doing rather OK.

Quote:

Until then, Jobs makes sure that the PRO always has to spend almost double the $$$$ simply to do one extra thing.

Which is perfectly fine (from a business perspective) as long as the professionals are willing to accept this (which MBP sales indicate we are).

--

As the computers today are becoming powerful enough for Pro use, Apple is forced to cripple some of their products in order to sell their more expensive stuff. Apple is the only computer maker that can do this (due to OSX) and thus they have a brighter future (buy APPL!) than the Dells of the world.

If Apple made a high resolution 15" MB with FW800 etc. they might gain market share - but MBP sales would definitely suffer. Not good.

Face it.

Even though Apple could, in an engineering perspective, make the MB, the Mini, an xMac etc. both cheap and powerful (or a niche MacTouch) they cannot do this without taking financial damage.

--

As to Apple releasing expensive computers in a recession:

1. Release schedules are planned/set way in advance.

2. The typical target customer for expensive computers are not affected that much by recession.

Even though the current crisis might have Apple start to plan for cheaper models they just cannot pull one out like a rabbit from a magical hat... Product development (especially for Apple) takes much time, manpower and money.
  • Reply 139 of 166
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I work in film, the MacBook is the standard notebook everyone is using. When we are busy at work I hear no one complaining that Apple has abandoned the Pro. I only ever see that on the internet.

Quote:

But Apple completely abandoned the PRO, not really the fan, but the PRO.

• Reply 140 of 166
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:

A lot of people made fortunes running Windows at home too - so what's your point?

The point is that all of your points are moronic.