AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A survey of users of the four major cell phone providers in the U.S. has ranked AT&T, the exclusive carrier of Apple's iPhone, last in terms of customer satisfaction.

Consumer Reports surveyed more than 50,000 readers in 26 U.S. cities, asking about carriers in a number of different categories related to service and customer support. In 19 of those cities, AT&T ranked worst.

Overall, AT&T came in fourth place with a total score of 66. It ranked worst in voice service, and average for messaging and Web/e-mail. Customer service on the phone and via Web ranked poorly, as did staff knowledge and whether the customer's issue was resolved.

Coming in first was Verizon, which ranked highly across all categories: voice, messaging, Web/e-mail, and customer service. Verizon had an overall reader score of 75.

In second place was T-Mobile. Though customers feel the nation's smallest wireless carrier has decidedly average service, the customer support was found to be superior. It earned an overall score of 70.

Sprint came in third with a score of 67, with average service and sub-par customer support, particularly in the area of issue resolution.

The survey is not the only that has found customer satisfaction with AT&T to be relatively poor. In September, another survey found a significant decline in brand perception for AT&T after the carrier faced intense scrutiny over the quality of its network following the launch of the iPhone 3GS. That study found that AT&T lagged well behind competitor Verizon in terms of consumer perception.

AT&T's issues prompted the company to launch an aggressive public relations campaign in which the carrier publicly acknowledged customer complaints and promised to address them.

AT&T came under scrutiny again in October, this time directly from competitor Verizon, which launched a series of ads mocking the iPhone's "There's an app for that" tagline with the slogan "There's a map for that." The commercials, which contrast Verizon's 3G coverage map with AT&T's, have led to a lawsuit in which AT&T has alleged the TV spots are misleading.

This year, numerous reports (1, 2, 3) have suggested that a Verizon-compatible iPhone will arrive in the summer of 2010. For that to happen, Apple would have to build a new handset that could operate on Verizon's unique CDMA network.

The study also found that 98 percent of iPhone users would buy the handset again. That extraordinary total is in line with a study from August, which found that the iPhone 3GS had a 99 percent satisfaction rate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    I am happy with their service in all aspects. Customer service has been very helpful the small amount of times I have spoken with them and cell service is rock solid for me here in Houston.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    Talk about excellent timing by CR given the ad war between Verizon and AT&T. Should be interesting to see what (if anything) they do next.
  • Reply 3 of 117
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Luckily, in my country, all the carriers run the same technology and therefor they all sell the iPhone..

Not in the beginning, but now.

But I can appreciate the problems facing any carrier when there are 300 million people to cover in such a vast area.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    Weird, of all the US carriers, AT&T had the lowest churn rate and highest new addition of customers this past quarter... Understandably, the iphone could account for highest rate of new customers, but churn rate should have reflected this report. In Central Florida, it is the best carrier by far, though my friends in NYC say it is rather awful in their area.
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Obviously these people have never had Sprint. AT&T is like a knight in shining armor compared to the abusive parent Sprint was. Okay... sort of a lame analogy, but you get the picture. AT&T good - Sprint bad
  • Reply 6 of 117
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I've had Sprint, T-Mobile, and Cingular before it merged with AT&T, which improved 1000% after the merge. I don't think AT&T has great service, but it has been the best that I've had. If Apple releases a phone on Verizon, I would definitely jump on the wagon, but only to see the quality of the network. I simply don't believe the hype of it being the best. AT&T has struggle to keep up with demand, but it is catching up. I don't think any US network would have been really prepared for the bandwidth demand of the millions of iPhones that have been activated.
  • Reply 7 of 117
    In my experience in northern California, AT&T is probably 3rd worst carrier, behind Verizon and Sprint (T-Mobile is the worst as it bought some of the redundant towers from AT&T).

But in terms of service, I think it is the worst. Almost every time I call the customer service, they add feature I did not ask for. It has gotten so bad that I have to beg them not to add anything else.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    OLD NEWS

They have been for years as I've mentioned on here numerous times only to be called a whiner and complainer. Don't say I didn''t warn you'all.

Where's solipsism to defend them as he always used to? Lately he's changed his tune.

I wonder why? perhaps he can explain.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am happy with their service in all aspects. Customer service has been very helpful the small amount of times I have spoken with them and cell service is rock solid for me here in Houston.

Ditto. I can't complain about AT&T in any way. Maybe Verizon paid off CR.
  • Reply 10 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is mostly expected though I am surprised to see the number from top to bottom so close and Sprint so close to being taken by AT&T. Sprint really can?t use another nail in their coffin. Sprint?s situation is odd since they are using CDMA, like Verizon, which has the superior voice codec over GSM. I suspect that Sprint will fall to forth on CR?s next survey.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

Talk about excellent timing by CR given the ad war between Verizon and AT&T. Should be interesting to see what (if anything) they do next.

Verizon really should advertise the hell out of these results.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

But I can appreciate the problems facing any carrier when there are 300 million people to cover in such a vast area.

That is a point many from other countries don?t readily see when they talk about their coverage, bandwidth and mobile plan costs. The US? average population density is quite low, even if you remove the areas that aren?t inhabited or are agricultural, but leaving major road coverage. What country are you from?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaben View Post

Weird, of all the US carriers, AT&T had the lowest churn rate and highest new addition of customers this past quarter... Understandably, the iphone could account for highest rate of new customers, but churn rate should have reflected this report. In Central Florida, it is the best carrier by far, though my friends in NYC say it is rather awful in their area.

That is the problem with the US for mobile coverage: so much depends on your area of use. I just moved from an area with poor Verizon coverage and great AT&T coverage to one with poor AT&T coverage ( I have no idea how Verizon?s coverage is here but it can?t be worse).
  • Reply 11 of 117
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    I wonder how long it will take AT&T to properly respond -- that is, with a lawsuit and a TV ad featuring Luke Wilson chucking pages from a magazine at a map??
  • Reply 12 of 117
    Personally, I'm looking forward to when I can have my iPhone with Verizon, or any other phone service *other* than AT&T.

Horrible network. Lousy 3G network. Persistent dropped calls and many other issues.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    I would argue this. There are way too many factors in the mix. Where are you located in the country? What phone do you use - smartphone or voice only? Are you using edge or 3G?

I hear all the time that ATT service sucks, and some say its perfectly fine. Iv'e been on all the major carries over the years and honestly none of them seem any better than the other. Who hasn't had a cell call drop off from time to time. Throw a few million iPhones on the network and guess what? - you better be ready to accommodate the bandwidth.

I'd like to see what happens with any other carrier when you dump a few million bandwidth hungry smartphones on it. I bet the complaints would be the same.

In central Florida, I have no complaints with ATT.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    ....I'm not going to choose a carrier just because they have excellent service somewhere else. It's about where I live.

This survey is already old news.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    My experience is great here in Austin. A few minor billing issues, but they were able to resolve in a reasonable amount of time.

Wonder if all the negative press has affected this. I do applaud them for being the first to bear the brunt of the new mobile browser age.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

I would argue this. There are way too many factors in the mix. Where are you located in the country? What phone do you use - smartphone or voice only? Are you using edge or 3G?

A properly designed survey with a large enough sampling should statistically smooth out all the different factors.

The point of a survey is that it is the average of all responses... not an absolute prediction of the exact results in any circumstance at any time.
  • Reply 17 of 117
    I have Sprint now after leaving Verizon. I see no difference between the networks but the pricing plans are superior. Sprint basically piggy-backs Verizon's network where they don't have towers (and Verizon does the same...), so the coverage is the same.

I have not had to call customer support, but my fiancee has had Sprint for years and has never had a bad experience calling customer support.

I guess it all depends on what you are calling for... I hated calling Cingular support because I had them argue with me... ???

I hate calling AT&T (landline/DSL) because I sometimes get different answers from different people on the same call... to the point where I talked to 8 different people with 8 different answers and then, I unleashed my fury on them and finally got what I wanted and they promised.
  • Reply 18 of 117
    AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey

Yet 98% of iPhone users would buy an iPhone again.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    It is too bad that AI couldn't include some of the other telling remarks/findings Consumer Reports apparently published in regards to the survey, i.e.,

Quote:

AT&T Ranked Last in Consumer Reports’ Best Cellphone Service Survey

It certainly would appear that way. With low marks for several key indicators of customer satisfaction–including service availability, circuit capacity, dropped-call frequency and voice service–across 73 percent of the markets Consumer Reports surveyed, it’s pretty clear that AT&T has become overextended by the popularity of the iPhone. Which is bad news for the carrier and, of course, for iPhone owners as well.

As Consumer reports notes, “Apple’s iPhones are the top smart phones in our Ratings–actually, among the best of all phones we tested, period–but their exclusive carrier, AT&T, was middling at best in satisfaction….If you’re readying to buy Apple’s phone, prepare for possible disappointment with its service and expect to love the phone anyway. Despite the network problems, a staggering 98 percent of iPhone users in our cell-phone-buying survey were satisfied enough to say they would definitely or probably buy the phone again. Only 79 percent of respondents who bought other cell phones said the same.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...ervice-survey/

P.S. @ Quadra 610: Have to make my answers shorter. But it is nice that somebody else takes a little more time to ferret out the info.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaben View Post

The iPhone is the reason for the low churn rate as well. They have millions of iPhone customers such as myself who are unhappy with the service but remain just to continue using our iPhones. We're like battered housewives.

If you had a graph measuring AT&T churn, the line would probably take a steep drop from 2007 to the record lows of today. In the past that might have meant increased happiness with their performance, but let the iPhone exclusivity agreement expire with an iPhone on every carrier and see how low their churn remains. Only then could you say it's due to more happy AT&T customers rather than happy Apple customers.