Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 299
    I told my kids "I'm not quite sure what it is, but I don't know how I've managed to live so long without one."
  • Reply 122 of 299
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The color palette is classic ROY G BIV

Sure, but there's a lot of possible shades within that spectrum, and these (Nano and announcement) are an exact match.
  • Reply 123 of 299
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Sure you can, at least for DVDs.

There are utilities (e.g., MacTheRipper) for stripping out the copy protection from commercial DVDs (you will have to do your own research about the legality of this in your area). There are other utilities (e.g. Handbrake) that will transcode the content for use in various devices like the iPhone.

Just Google "rip DVD Mac" or "rip DVD Windows".

actually, i do know about that stuff. And i've heard they are all just not made for the casual PC/MAC user in mind and it's kind of a pain. Apple and the movie/tv industries just need to suck it up and allow us to rip movies just like CD's. without 3rd part crap programs.
  • Reply 124 of 299
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What about an optional paintbrush stylus to use with new paint software..

:o
  • Reply 125 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daggermann View Post

No, I am just commenting on the form of art used in the invitation. And, well Jackson Pollock is the one who revolutionized art with this particular style.

It was a joke. I know about Jackson Pollock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple is normally very careful of the images they use and their inference.

I think the artistic graphics signal that the device s designed to be used for more than just consumption of digital data. What better means are there for creation of extemporaneous drawings, paintings and sketches?

I think it works perfectly as a Rorschach Test. Exhibits A and B above are offered in evidence.
  • Reply 126 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

I told my kids "I'm not quite sure what it is, but I don't know how I've managed to live so long without one."

lol precisely.
  • Reply 127 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

That is the best sum-up of all. Describes my feelings exactly!
  • Reply 128 of 299
    I bet the "Come see our latest creation" was made on a Apple tablet.
  • Reply 129 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean it will be an abstract mess that many will say that my child could have created it?

We'd better hope not!

That reminds me of several years ago when a painting was sent to some big art museum and they gushed over it and commented on the artist's thoughtful use of color, blah blah , and then it turned out to have been "painted" by a five year old child by throwing paint at a piece of paper and was then sent in by her father as a joke.

---

I think the tablet will be for painting. Ooh, I hope so.

I will buy two, whatever it is.

---

Faux News is suggesting the event will be the tablet, iPhone OS 4 and iLife 2010. Hope they add painting to iLife (or iWork).
  • Reply 130 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sorry, but this is the second time you've said this about Pollock and it's absolute nonsense.

Jackson Pollock is not very well thought of in most art circles anymore and was essentially a one trick pony exposed even in his own lifetime as a bit of a deceptive hack. The kind of "childlike simplicity" you see in this invitation it *not* actually "the most difficult thing to achieve" either.

To say that Jackson Pollock "revolutionised" anything (let alone all art), with his works is a bad joke. Some people still like his paintings, but even they would not argue that he was the "revolutionary" figure you are making him out to be. He's a minor artist at best.

OT, and sorry, but this is completely false. Pollock's reputation is absolutley secure in the history of American art, whatever you might personally think of his style, Abstract Expressionism in general, the biases of art criticism, curatorial pretensions, or the nature of how art history is written.

There was a huge career retrospective mounted at the MOMA and the Tate just about ten years ago, and let me assure you it was not done to bury the man or reevaluate his reputation downward. Tastes and styles in painting change, but you can't rewrite history. For American abstract art, and all that represented in the history of art, Pollock was a titan.
  • Reply 131 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Still my favorite from 2007. Just substitute the words iPhone with name of new product
  • Reply 132 of 299
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

That reminds me of several years ago when a painting was sent to some big art museum and they gushed over it and commented on the artist's thoughtful use of color, blah blah , and then it turned out to have been "painted" by a five year old child by throwing paint at a piece of paper and was then sent in by her father as a joke.

---

Paint Brush Stylus
  • Reply 133 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

please, mind you words my friend.

if you care to have a conversation: sure, we could exchange ideas. But I have the feeling you might be here for something else ... let me just say: your style is not very well thought of...

I wasn't trying to be mean, obviously English isn't your first language so perhaps you found some meaning in my words that I didn't intend.

That being said, I have 8 years of Art School, I've been a practising Industrial Designer in the past, and I know a lot about Art and Art History.

I can assure you Jackson Pollock was a "lesser" artist, and did not "revolutionise" anything. It's just a fact, no offence intended.
  • Reply 134 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

---

---

Faux News is suggesting the event will be the tablet, iPhone OS 4 and iLife 2010. Hope they add painting to iLife (or iWork).

Goddamnit I refuse to let this thread become a forum for the airing of bone ignorant nonsense about the nature of art in general and modernism particularly.

I realize they don't really teach art history in school anymore, but the old canard about abstract painting being some kind of hoax or conspiracy amongst untalented fake painters, collectors, galleries and various cultural "elites", designed to pull the wool over the eyes of a credulous public all too eager to embrace trends, or something, is incredibly irritating to anyone who has more than a passing familiarity with art, artists, or cultural history.
  • Reply 135 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OT, and sorry, but this is completely false. Pollock's reputation is absolutley secure in the history of American art, whatever you might personally think of his style, Abstract Expressionism in general, the biases of art criticism, curatorial pretensions, or the nature of how art history is written.

There was a huge career retrospective mounted at the MOMA and the Tate just about ten years ago, and let me assure you it was not done to bury the man or reevaluate his reputation downward. Tastes and styles in painting change, but you can't rewrite history. For American abstract art, and all that represented in the history of art, Pollock was a titan.

I respect almost everything you write on this forum but this is just wrong. He was not a "titan" except perhaps in the USA, but I'm already sick of arguing about it with the other guy who thinks he was a saint. There was a lot more to abstract expressionism than Pollock.
  • Reply 136 of 299
    could it be the iphone in several colors as it's been said? it may be too literal

it could also be the print industry being revolutionized, that is more possible to me
  • Reply 137 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What about an optional paintbrush stylus to use with new paint software..

:o

As a Wacom tablet user now, I'd be really happy to have a stylus. Wacom's newest has a little loop to hold the stylus when carrying.

The tablet could also double as a standard tablet for a larger computer... but might be too thick.
  • Reply 138 of 299
    ... is the waiting! It feels like Christmas!
  • Reply 139 of 299
    Yeah, looks like Gazoobee woke up on the wrong side of Abstract Expressionism this morning...

I would have to say that linking Pollock to the art used by Apple for this promo is a compliment that works both ways -- well done!

Quote:

please, mind you words my friend.

if you care to have a conversation: sure, we could exchange ideas. But I have the feeling you might be here for something else ... let me just say: your style is not very well thought of...

Rather off-topic, but as I certainly admire and respect Pollock's various styles, I would indeed have to agree that his work (and that of many of his contemporaries, including Rothko, Hofmann, Guston, the de Koonings, Rauschenberg, etc. -- even Robert De Niro's father!!!) was revolutionary, and the reactionary backlash in some "art circles" (opinions chasing opinions, after all) continues to this day. The physical textures of his paintings are amazing. Despite the superficial critiques, his art was about the "purity" of the form and has to be "experienced" to be appreciated. (Especially as the act of creation, for him, was the point of the experience.)
  • Reply 140 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I respect almost everything you write on this forum but this is just wrong. He was not a "titan" except perhaps in the USA, but I'm already sick of arguing about it with the other guy who thinks he was a saint. There was a lot more to abstract expressionism than Pollock.

Of course there was a lot more to AE than just Pollock, but his critical reputation is secure. I have no idea where you're getting the idea that he's been declared an untalented hack, at some point. There has always been a certain school of thought that his canvases were just mindless doodling, but that thought has never been anywhere near the critical mainstream.