Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple said Monday that iPad sales have topped two million in less than 60 days since it first launched in the U.S. on April 3.

Word of the milestone comes just days after the Cupertino-based company expanded sales of the device to international markets, shipping units in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.

?Customers around the world are experiencing the magic of iPad, and seem to be loving it as much as we do,? said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. ?We appreciate their patience, and are working hard to build enough iPads for everyone.?

In April, Apple announced that it would delay international availability of the iPad by roughly a month's time after the company discovered that domestic demand for the device was far outpacing its estimates.

The company initially sold 500,000 iPad's during the device's first week on the market. That number doubled three weeks later when Apple announced on May 3rd that it had shipped its millionth unit.

On average, Apple would appear to be selling just over 35,700 iPads each day and the company boasts a catalog of over 5,000 new applications for the touch-screen device that have been authored by its developer community.

Apple also said Monday that the iPad will be available in nine more countries in July and additional countries later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 265
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple said Monday that iPad sales have topped two million in less than 60 days since it first launched in the U.S. on April 3.

Word of the milestone comes just days after the Cupertino-based company expanded sales of the device to international markets, shipping units in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK.

?Customers around the world are experiencing the magic of iPad, and seem to be loving it as much as we do,? said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. ?We appreciate their patience, and are working hard to build enough iPads for everyone.?

In April, Apple announced that it would delay international availability of the iPad by roughly a month's time after the company discovered that domestic demand for the device was far outpacing its estimates.

The company initially sold 500,000 iPad's during the device's first week on the market. That number doubled three weeks later when Apple announced on May 3rd that it had shipped its millionth unit.

On average, Apple would appear to be selling just over 35,700 iPads each day and the company boasts a catalog of over 5,000 new applications for the touch-screen device that have been authored by its developer community.

Apple also said Monday that the iPad will be available in nine more countries in July and additional countries later this year.

pretty good
  • Reply 2 of 265
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Apple is dewmed!?

(News flash: DoJ investigating Apple for not giving away iPads!).
  • Reply 3 of 265
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    I hope supply increases quickly. I don't like the shortages' effect on profit. The 3GS had similar problems this past year and it decreased the number of iPhones sold by a few million, from what I can see.
  • Reply 4 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I am not surprised. My iPad has become more and more useful to me each day as I figure out how using it suits me best. It has become the one of my primary devices in a very short time!
  • Reply 5 of 265
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    The only question is whether this level of demand will go up, down or stay level. The early adopters have now bought in. It remains to be seen whether the general public will continue to lust after the iPad. I think there might be at least a small sales spike when iPhone OS 4.0 is released in the fall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narcoma View Post

pretty good

Don't quote the whole article. In fact, if you're responding generally and directly to the article, don't quote anything at all.
  • Reply 6 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

The only question is whether this level of demand will go up, down or stay level. The early adopters have now bought in. It remains to be seen whether the general public will continue to lust after the iPad. I think there might be at least a small sales spike when iPhone OS 4.0 is released in the fall.

Current studies are showing an increase in demand, but 4.0 could bring a push of demand from the more "techy" people who "need" multi-tasking.
  • Reply 7 of 265
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    That's 5,000 iPad only apps. When we include universal apps, the number rises to about 8,200.

I'm amazed at how much more useful many of those universal apps are on my iPad as opposed to how they are on my iPhone, though when I got them for the phone, they seemed very good.
  • Reply 8 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Don't quote the whole article. In fact, if you're responding generally and directly to the article, don't quote anything at all.

It's also worldwide demand. As it reaches more countries, like the iPhone, sales will continue to rise.
  • Reply 9 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Current studies are showing an increase in demand, but 4.0 could bring a push of demand from the more "techy" people who "need" multi-tasking.

While multitasking will be nice for some things, I "need" folders.
  • Reply 10 of 265
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    How many iPads were shipped to those nine countries that started selling them the other day?

I bet Apple could say 3 million iPads sold in less than two months and not be TOO far off the mark! Heck Japan alone, nahhh...

Okay, what do I know... I'm gonna get burned for my three mil comment but it is good to see the iPad doing well.

Every time I'm marveling at it at Best Buy asking when there next shipment arrives, some teenage know-it-all boy comes buy with a friend, picks up the iPad and claims with authority, "It's just a bigger iPod Touch!".

Hardly!!!
  • Reply 11 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While multitasking will be nice for some things, I "need" folders.

I can't wait for folders, and the new design of the homescreen with backgrounds and new dock make it look a lot more open. Much less cramped. Only 8 days!
  • Reply 12 of 265
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I think the all-too-common response from the weak minded is that the iPad is just another gadget.

But I think there are a lot of savvy people out there with big plans for it. My wife read in the NYT this morning about Kudzu Interactive's SnapFinger restaurant app for various mobile devices so far, but they're planning apps for the iPad which will replace conventional menus in restaurants. Kudzu makes a commission off of every customer order.

Only a fool would waste his breath yammering about what the iPad is not. Who cares?

I care about what the iPad could be with all of its potential applications which will indeed change our lives for the better.
  • Reply 13 of 265
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's also worldwide demand. As it reaches more countries, like the iPhone, sales will continue to rise.

On top of which, there will be the demonstration effect.....
  • Reply 14 of 265
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    These numbers don't include the international rollout which is just getting underway and by all accounts is going very well.

That, plus the aforementioned release of the 4.0 OS, will undoubtedly spike June sales-- my guess to well over a million. Even if sales slow a bit over the rest of summer and fall, then you're moving into the Christmas season. And of course you've got to figure in the supply constraints easing at some point, which have surely somewhat hampered sales to date.

Seems pretty much a slam dunk that Apple will sell at least 10 million iPads in just the eight months of its first year of availability-- which I believe is at the outside extreme of what even the most feverish analyst was predicting.

And then there's the competition, which I think is interesting. One of the arguments against likely mass market success for the iPad was that it was this neither fish nor fowl thing that consumers had no particular reason to want. That, contrasted to the success of the iPhone, which was understood to be a product that people already wanted and needed.

Given the its success, that same quality may work in the iPad's favor. Android powered tablets won't be "just another tablet" like Android phones are just more phones. The iPad has quite literally created this market from scratch (yes, I know tablets existed, they sucked and nobody bought them so get over it).

Anyone coming in now with a me-too product are going to have to do more work to convince people that their iteration of the iPad is worth having, because there isn't that comfort factor of going down to Verizon to get your next phone and just sort of falling into an Android handset.
  • Reply 15 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

On top of which, there will be the demonstration effect.....

which is huge...
  • Reply 16 of 265
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member
    Quote:

I was bouncing back and forth from a magazine (Dwell) and Safari last night. It was pretty terrible having to go back into the magazine book shelf then into the issue each time I wanted to find a new link on a product that was advertised, then go back to Safari and have the page reload. Multi-tasking will definitely help. Can't wait.
  • Reply 17 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

These numbers don't include the international rollout which is just getting underway and by all accounts is going very well.

That, plus the aforementioned release of the 4.0 OS, will undoubtedly spike June sales-- my guess to well over a million. Even if sales slow a bit over the rest of summer and fall, then you're moving into the Christmas season. And of course you've got to figure in the supply constraints easing at some point, which have surely somewhat hampered sales to date.

Seems pretty much a slam dunk that Apple will sell at least 10 million iPads in just the eight months of its first year of availability-- which I believe is at the outside extreme of what even the most feverish analyst was predicting.

Unfortunately, only the iPhone and iPod Touch will be getting the 4.0 update next week. The iPad will be getting it in the fall, probably at the September iPod event; but there will still be the spike in sales, even if it is a bit later. Hopefully that will give them some time to sort out the supply problems.
  • Reply 18 of 265
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, only the iPhone and iPod Touch will be getting the 4.0 update next week. The iPad will be getting it in the fall, probably at the September iPod event; but there will still be the spike in sales, even if it is a bit later. Hopefully that will give them some time to sort out the supply problems.

Good point, although there may be some "halo effect" from the iPhone publicity (not that the iPad is being ignored, of course).
  • Reply 19 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teunis View Post

I was bouncing back and forth from a magazine (Dwell) and Safari last night. It was pretty terrible having to go back into the magazine book shelf then into the issue each time I wanted to find a new link on a product that was advertised, then go back to Safari and have the page reload. Multi-tasking will definitely help. Can't wait.

Yeah, I had the same problem when I wanted to record a speech while reading it from the iPad, but could only have one app open at a time. I'm not saying multi-tasking is not a terrific addition, just that it hasn't stopped most people from buying it anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 265
    dennissgdennissg Posts: 3member
    Great!

They have sold two million.

Im still waiting over two weeks and mine (ordered online 15 days ago) is still somewhere in the bowels of Fedex between China and New Jersey!!

if only they'd have a supply so that i could have bounght one at one of the two Apple stores that bracket my home!

I only hope that when the new iphone hits the market, that Ill be able to actually purchase one.

Apple has succeeded in creating this marvelous marketing hype (as well as this marvelous product and marvelous others). If they could onbly figure out how to manufacture enough of them to meet the demand!