Apple sued over iPhone 4 reception issues

1151617181921»

Comments

• Reply 401 of 418
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

"Touching" doesn't typically mean "deliberately poking with a finger tip", as one might do to test or demonstrate this problem. The only "touching" necessary is to have the bottom left corner of the phone gently resting against the palm of your hand, an entirely natural result of a very natural way of holding the phone in your left hand -- as depicted in many Apple promotional pictures for the phone.

I like the iPhone 4 enough that I'm still going to keep mine. I'm not one of the people screaming loudly about this issue since I can work around the problem and so much else about the phone is great. But the antenna issue really is a stupid engineering flaw, and telling people they're "holding it wrong" is a really lame excuse.

I'm not a fan of phone cases or rubber bumpers, especially ridiculously overpriced rubber bumpers, so I'll either make due either holding the phone in an awkward way or not worrying too much about 3G reception when I'm holding it more naturally.

Even if I was inclined to return the iPhone 4, I already sold my old 32GB 3GS on eBay, so unless I bought another used 3GS, all I could swap my iPhone 4 for would be an 8GB 3GS. I don't want buy used, settle for only 8GB, or switch to an entirely different brand of phone just to protest an admittedly annoying flaw. Even if I could get a new 32GB 3GS as an exchange, I'd hate giving up the improved screen and camera of the iPhone 4.

very well said.
  • Reply 402 of 418
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

"Touching" doesn't typically mean "deliberately poking with a finger tip", as one might do to test or demonstrate this problem. The only "touching" necessary is to have the bottom left corner of the phone gently resting against the palm of your hand, an entirely natural result of a very natural way of holding the phone in your left hand -- as depicted in many Apple promotional pictures for the phone.

I like the iPhone 4 enough that I'm still going to keep mine. I'm not one of the people screaming loudly about this issue since I can work around the problem and so much else about the phone is great. But the antenna issue really is a stupid engineering flaw, and telling people they're "holding it wrong" is a really lame excuse.

I'm not a fan of phone cases or rubber bumpers, especially ridiculously overpriced rubber bumpers, so I'll either make due either holding the phone in an awkward way or not worrying too much about 3G reception when I'm holding it more naturally.

Even if I was inclined to return the iPhone 4, I already sold my old 32GB 3GS on eBay, so unless I bought another used 3GS, all I could swap my iPhone 4 for would be an 8GB 3GS. I don't want buy used, settle for only 8GB, or switch to an entirely different brand of phone just to protest an admittedly annoying flaw. Even if I could get a new 32GB 3GS as an exchange, I'd hate giving up the improved screen and camera of the iPhone 4.

It is definitely a problem holding it normally. Even when I held it out in front of me to use the screen, apps and internet, it lost all signal.

It is a great phone, but it definitely is not usable sans a case. That to me is a defective product. Apple's refusal to give away bumpers is even more gross IMO.
  • Reply 403 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

It is definitely a problem holding it normally. Even when I held it out in front of me to use the screen, apps and internet, it lost all signal.

It is a great phone, but it definitely is not usable sans a case. That to me is a defective product. Apple's refusal to give away bumpers is even more gross IMO.

I think most people agree that Apple should give away bumpers. I wonder what the other cover makers would feel about that? - would they sue? If Apple gave away a really cheap cover that just did the job, how would consumers feel about that? let alone what the legal situation would be.

I think Apple would be forced to give a $30 voucher/discount which is effectively a $30 loss on each phone.

Something needs to be done, but what?
  • Reply 404 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

I think most people agree that Apple should give away bumpers. I wonder what the other cover makers would feel about that? - would they sue? If Apple gave away a really cheap cover that just did the job, how would consumers feel about that? let alone what the legal situation would be.

I think Apple would be forced to give a $30 voucher/discount which is effectively a $30 loss on each phone.

Something needs to be done, but what?

Bumpers barely protect the phone. The fact that Apples only case ever for an iPhone covers only the part that causes the issue, is the most telling that they knew about the issue.

I use a full case for protection on my phone. I don't think the case makers would suffer too much. Not that they'd have any grounds to sue anyway.
  • Reply 405 of 418
    Quote:

Bumpers barely protect the phone. The fact that Apples only case ever for an iPhone covers only the part that causes the issue, is the most telling that they knew about the issue.

I use a full case for protection on my phone. I don't think the case makers would suffer too much. Not that they'd have any grounds to sue anyway.

If you're right, it's hard to see how Apple can come out of this with it's reputation intact. In fact I'd go as far as to say - it doesn't matter if they're innocent or not right now - they're reputation is going to take a beating.

Apple have always been single minded focusing only on their vision. But they've seemingly never screwed their customers before.

With Android devices set to take over world (in volume at least)Apple are really going to need a great reputation and an outstanding product to hold onto what will increasingly become a niche product. But then Audi cars are niche products too, as are Bang and Olufsen ;-)
  • Reply 406 of 418
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The fact that Apples only case ever for an iPhone covers only the part that causes the issue, is the most telling that they knew about the issue.

1) And just look at how much the iPad case covers, that thing must be really poorly made.

2) You say that as if Apple is never scrutinized, that they could pull a fast on on all their users and scam an extra charge from them. They are evil, after all¡ What CE company is put more under a microscope or sued over as many silly things as Apple.

3) Or, you are saying Apple doesn?t realize they are scrutinized, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Could they really be that stupid?

4) The next step is saying they designed it that way to require Bumpers. But I guess they only designed some units that way, because not all are experiencing it. Today I was I had the worse 3G I?ve ever had, had to turn 3G off to get EDGE and GPRS just to get any data. Even with less than 5 bars I still couldn?t get it to freak out and go to No Service.

5) General rule of thumb: If you have a theory that screams conspiracy, it?s best to never speak aloud.
  • Reply 407 of 418
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

TWELVE plaintiffs??? That's all they've got? Ambulance-chasers, indeed!

I'd say, for that class-action status to be granted, they'd need (for example) 1% of purchasors (speculating: not really 'my' point of law) to join the action...which means they need to recruit at least another 14,988 of Mama's precious darlings before this gets to be more than a very public hissy-fit.

and those 12 plaintiffs better think of a good reason why they did not just return the phone.
  • Reply 408 of 418
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) And just look at how much the iPad case covers, that thing must be really poorly made.

2) You say that as if Apple is never scrutinized, that they could pull a fast on on all their users and scam an extra charge from them. They are evil, after all¡ What CE company is put more under a microscope or sued over as many silly things as Apple.

3) Or, you are saying Apple doesn?t realize they are scrutinized, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Could they really be that stupid?

4) The next step is saying they designed it that way to require Bumpers. But I guess they only designed some units that way, because not all are experiencing it. Today I was I had the worse 3G I?ve ever had, had to turn 3G off to get EDGE and GPRS just to get any data. Even with less than 5 bars I still couldn?t get it to freak out and go to No Service.

5) General rule of thumb: If you have a theory that screams conspiracy, it?s best to never speak aloud.

ZDNet are reporting that as impact protection, the bumper is a fail. They're including a video from iFixYouri showing 3 consecutive drops, the third resulting in a broken screen.

Looks like the media are not going to let up on the iP4 anytime soon.
  • Reply 409 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The iPad cover covers the full unit and is in fact protection. It does NOT just cover the edge. It also acts as a stand to prop up the iPad for viewing and use. The iPhone bumper does NONE of these.

2, 3) Apple may be scrutinized, but they are not infallible. IMO they did not find out about the problem in time as they always had it in a case during field testing. At that point when they finally found out, they could delay the release by months and redesign the phone, or they could make their first ever iPhone "case" and cover just the part that is the problem. What do you think would have happened to their stock if they had delayed the iPhone for months? NO way they'd go that route.

4) I know of no iPhone 4 that you can bridge the two antenna's and get no attenuation problem. The exception might be in very close proximity to a tower.

5) General rule of thumb: Juts because there's a conspiracy theory, does not mean there is not an issue in truth.
  • Reply 410 of 418
    It's worth listening carefully to what AnandTech say in this podcast

Reporters' Roundtable: What's the iPhone 4's problem?

http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-200...eadlinesArea.0
  • Reply 411 of 418
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

It's worth listening carefully to what AnandTech say in this podcast

Reporters' Roundtable: What's the iPhone 4's problem?

http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-200...eadlinesArea.0

Finally some informed, intelligent discussion on this matter. Quite interesting.

So the antenna on the outside seems to give better reception, except touching it causes poorer reception. This combined with the vagaries of cellular network conditions, means... Well, for me anyway it means I don't need to upgrade yet, it's not available in my country anyways.

Back to my iPad
  • Reply 412 of 418
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Guys at AnandTech worked from wrong data.

Apple's acknowledgement of their signal strength display algorithm stunningness stands to reason like nothing else on the earth (for those who can see what all that is about).

Still the conclusions of AnandTech are somewhat valid.
  • Reply 413 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Guys at AnandTech worked from wrong data...

Not sure if you're making a joke here, in reference to Steve's email about "you're working from the wrong data"...

But the guys at AnandTech used an actual dB readout.
  • Reply 414 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not sure if you're making a joke here, in reference to Steve's email about "you're working from the wrong data"...

But the guys at AnandTech used an actual dB readout.

Actual dBm readout by iPhone.
  • Reply 415 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Actual dBm readout by iPhone.

OK, I see what you're saying...
  • Reply 416 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

OK, I see what you're saying...

Glad to know. The display algorithm is indeed breathtaking. So is data download standstill.
  • Reply 417 of 418
    sapgurusapguru Posts: 7member
    Hi

we live in Switzerland, altough the iPhone 4 is not officially available here, we drove quickly over to France and bought a couple of iPhone 4. We came back and tested them really hard... espescially we tested this reception issue and we have no issues here.

We use Swisscom in Switzerland, that's the largest Operator and there are no dropped calls, no signal loss, nothing ! We use to touch it around the antenna, we even touched it with our tongue ! nothing... it works, no issues here...

We think you have a problem with the operator, in Switzerland there is absolutely no signal issues and dropped calls, nothing! Think a bit out of the box and try it outside the US and you'll see it works absolutely perfect! So the device can't be the problem...

Greeting

G
  • Reply 418 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapguru View Post

Hi

we live in Switzerland, altough the iPhone 4 is not officially available here, we drove quickly over to France and bought a couple of iPhone 4. We came back and tested them really hard... espescially we tested this reception issue and we have no issues here.

We use Swisscom in Switzerland, that's the largest Operator and there are no dropped calls, no signal loss, nothing ! We use to touch it around the antenna, we even touched it with our tongue ! nothing... it works, no issues here...

We think you have a problem with the operator, in Switzerland there is absolutely no signal issues and dropped calls, nothing! Think a bit out of the box and try it outside the US and you'll see it works absolutely perfect! So the device can't be the problem...

Greeting

G

Can you post any European/UK tech blog/ newspaper articles that review the phone's reception issues? Thanks