Apple sued over iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 321 of 418
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Don't be an argumentative idiot. I was told when I picked up my phone I had 30 days to return it for a full refund if I didn't like it. Not if it was defective -- if I didn't like it. I am certain anyone returning a phone because they are not satisfied with the reception will have no trouble getting ALL of their money back.

Unfortunately, what you were told does not jive with the written Apple retail policy.

The written policy states that you are charged a restocking fee if the product is not "defective." Unfortunately for those complaining here, Apple doesn't think that the antenna issue is a defect, so those trying to return because of the antenna issues may have to pay the 10% restocking fee.
  • Reply 322 of 418
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is beyond insane. Why is everyone in denial mode? With the exception of a few objective voices here, half of the posters are saying there are no problems and it is all about Apple-haters causing a stink. Meanwhile, the other half are screaming that all phones are defective and Apple should be sent to jail!

From reading as much information on this issue as I can stomach, it is 100% clear that some people are having legitimate issues, and some are not having issues at all. Please realize that both of these things are true. Not "could be true" but they are both true right now.

Just because person A is exepriencing these problems, doesn't mean that all phones are affected. AND, just because person B is perfectly happy and having no problems, doesn't mean that no one else can be having problems.

Stop acting like 6th graders. Grow up, show some maturity, and be patient while Apple investigates. It will all get sorted out eventually. I know Apple hasn't sent you a sweet greeting card apologizing and telling you they are looking into it. But rest assured that they are. Too much money is at stake for them not to get to the bottom of it. If for no other reason than to cover their ass.

Chill out!

I contend that this is what the board is for. I would rather that instead of everyone trying to attack and prove the others wrong, we just state our opinion. My experience here is that most folks are pretty intelligent and are looking for the experiences of others.
  • Reply 323 of 418
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Unfortunately for those complaining here, Apple doesn't think that the antenna issue is a defect, so those trying to return because of the antenna issues may have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

Again, please cite the Apple corporate statement that says this. Email's from Steve Jobs are not considered valid proof. If you cannot provide a link on Apple's website or an Apple spokesperson who is on the record, please do not say that.
  • Reply 324 of 418
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

I don't know if a large percentage is affected. But it appears this issue is affecting people more then normal.

Based on what evidence?

"more than normal" implies that you have some numbers, both for number of defects on this phone and number of defects that would be normal. Where are the numbers?

Granted, this issues seems to be generating more of the anti-Apple FUD than most issues, but that's mostly because Chicken Littles are running round screaming that the sky is falling. Feel free to provide evidence if you ever find any.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple says that the customers complaining of antenna problems are using non-defective phones.

Thus, they are forced to pay the 10% restocking fee.

So your point is simply that you were unable to prove that there was anything wrong with the phone?

If your phone is dropping calls when you hold it normally, I can't believe that any Apple store manager would refuse a refund.

In reality, what's probably happening is people who come in and say their phone is defective and point to a changing number of bars. The manager says "yes, that's a known problem, but it has no effect on call reliability. Show me that your phone doesn't make calls properly and I'll replace the phone" --- and then the customer slinks away.
  • Reply 325 of 418
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's still there.....on my 3GS, running iOS 4.0.

I donno! BTW the number you gave doesn't work at all:

*3001#12345#

gives

Error Performing Request

Ynknown Error

But:

*3001#12345

without the trailing #

invokes "iPhone Field Test Mobile"

Which fails???

• Reply 326 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

These phone will break when dropped no matter what apple states. The cases also gets rid of the problem anyway.

Erm that's not true. Some will break not all.

On Tuesday night I put my iPhone 4 on top of a small box which was also on top of my fireplace. Whilst I was reading AppleInsider from my MBP I could hear emails and texts coming through on my iP4. About two hours later I heard something fall from the fireplace and looked in horror at my iP4 face down on the Marble hearth. The vibrations clearly made it unstable.

The fireplace is 4 feet plus high and as you know Marble is very hard and brittle. Flick a bit of marble at a window and watch it shatter.

Not a scratch or dent. Lucky perhaps but certainly opened my eyes to how tough this bad boy really is.

Honestly these rumours going around at how fragile the iPhone is are suspect to say the least. Go from experience, not from rumour.

By the way my Nokia screen exploded into a million pieces when it fell out of my pocket from less than two feet when isat in my car. Landed on concrete and went in the bin immediatelt after. Unlucky?
  • Reply 327 of 418
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I donno! BTW the number you gave doesn't work at all:

*3001#12345#

gives

Error Performing Request

Ynknown Error

But:

*3001#12345

without the trailing #

invokes "iPhone Field Test Mobile"

Which fails???

I put my 3GS into field test mode BEFORE upgrading to iOS 4 so I don't know if it will go into field test mode now that you are ALREADY in iOS 4.

But anyway, this is what I used for field test mode:

*3001#12345#*

Hold lock button

Hold Home button
  • Reply 328 of 418
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's still there.....on my 3GS, running iOS 4.0.

Hmmm... works for some, not for others...

I think we may have a real issue here-- seems that multitudes of users are experiencing failures with the iPhone Field Test!

When I buy an iPhone, I expect it to include a working iPhone Field Test!

It is obvious to me that Apple knew ahead of time that this defect existed, else why would they remove it!

Open and shut case! Who do I contact?

• Reply 329 of 418
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I contend that this is what the board is for. I would rather that instead of everyone trying to attack and prove the others wrong, we just state our opinion. My experience here is that most folks are pretty intelligent and are looking for the experiences of others.

Sorry, you contend this board is for what specifically?
  • Reply 330 of 418
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, what you were told does not jive with the written Apple retail policy.

The written policy states that you are charged a restocking fee if the product is not "defective." Unfortunately for those complaining here, Apple doesn't think that the antenna issue is a defect, so those trying to return because of the antenna issues may have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

I just called the store (Raleigh, NC) to check. The gentleman I spoke with said usually Apple charges a restocking fee for most products but because of their agreement with AT&T, they do not charge anything for an iPhone returned within 30 days for any reason.
  • Reply 331 of 418
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Why not just pay $30 for a cheap, hideous piece of rubberized plastic from Apple? http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...or-rip-off.ars
  • Reply 332 of 418
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    I'd be willing to bet that the bulk of those people not experiencing any problems are right-handed.

The thing that most people seem to leave out when talking about this antenna issue is that it affects left handed people only. The left side antenna needs to be held in the hand (not even gripped with any real purposeful intent). If you are right handed, you are covering the right antenna, Something like 90% of iPhone 4 users will be right handed, so if 1.7 millions were sold then say 170,000 would be experiencing the problem. Just theoretical stats to make a point, ok? Point being, most users will be satisfied because this issue will not affect 'them'.

Being left handed and holding it naturally my hand covers the left side of the phone. It covers the problem antenna... not me 'gripping' it, not me 'forcing the issue', just holding the phone as a phone.

I really wish people would stop apologising for Apple. I absolutely love there products but stop sucking there corporate cock. I am forced to buy a case rather than show off the phone for what it is (it won't be Apple's case) or return it (I do not want to, it is a beautiful device which I love, all I ask for is a working PHONE for LEFT HANDED people).

I agree with the US law suit as it may speed Apple into addressing the design flaw sooner than later and we could see corrected phone's for UNIVERSAL use, not just 90% of users who can comfortably hold the phone right-handed. Again, please stop apologising for Apple. I have stated I own an iP4, that I am left handed, and the issue is VERY evident. No other phone I have ever owned including the 3GS has ever negated left hand use in this way.

I felt compelled to register to comment on this on account of some truely disgraceful sucking-up posts doing the rounds in support of Apple. Get a grip! Or in the case of iP4, don't! (if you're left-handed)
  • Reply 333 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Why not just pay $30 for a cheap, hideous piece of rubberized plastic from Apple? http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...or-rip-off.ars

Then don't pay $30. Make your own.

Or, you could buy any of the other iPhone cases out there. I got one from Belkin. However, most of those are $25-30, too. Companies get away with charging a lot for decorative accessories for expensive electronics. Story at 10.
  • Reply 334 of 418
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:

I just called the store (Raleigh, NC) to check. The gentleman I spoke with said usually Apple charges a restocking fee for most products but because of their agreement with AT&T, they do not charge anything for an iPhone returned within 30 days for any reason.

Again, this isn't written in any policy. All written policies state that a restocking fee is charged for any non-defective items.

If this is true, they should really update their written policies.
  • Reply 335 of 418
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    I just got off the phone with someone at the Apple Fifth Ave. store in New York as well. She said there is no restocking fee under the open box policy because the phone has to be opened in the store for activation, thus the customer can't be faulted for opening the box. She said plainly: return within 30 days for a full refund for any reason with no charges whatsoever.
  • Reply 336 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

I'd be willing to bet that the bulk of those people not experiencing any problems are right-handed.

Your logic is wrong. I'm right handed, but I hold the phone in my left hand. In fact, I watched people today and most of the right handed people I know hold their cell phones in their left hand. So much for that argument.

Quote:

The thing that most people seem to leave out when talking about this antenna issue is that it affects left handed people only. The left side antenna needs to be held in the hand (not even gripped with any real purposeful intent). If you are right handed, you are covering the right antenna, Something like 90% of iPhone 4 users will be right handed, so if 1.7 millions were sold then say 170,000 would be experiencing the problem. Just theoretical stats to make a point, ok? Point being, most users will be satisfied because this issue will not affect 'them'.

First, there's no evidence that ANYONE is experiencing a disproportionate amount of dropped calls due to the antenna. That's just all the whining you here.

Second, it doesn't matter if the person is right handed or left handed. If they hold the phone in their left hand, they should have the problem - no matter which hand is dominant.

Quote:

I really wish people would stop apologising for Apple. I absolutely love there products but stop sucking there corporate cock. I am forced to buy a case rather than show off the phone for what it is (it won't be Apple's case) or return it (I do not want to, it is a beautiful device which I love, all I ask for is a working PHONE for LEFT HANDED people).

No one's apologizing for Apple - they are simply asking for facts rather than hysteria.

Quote:

I agree with the US law suit as it may speed Apple into addressing the design flaw sooner than later and we could see corrected phone's for UNIVERSAL use, not just 90% of users who can comfortably hold the phone right-handed. Again, please stop apologising for Apple. I have stated I own an iP4, that I am left handed, and the issue is VERY evident. No other phone I have ever owned including the 3GS has ever negated left hand use in this way.

I felt compelled to register to comment on this on account of some truely disgraceful sucking-up posts doing the rounds in support of Apple. Get a grip! Or in the case of iP4, don't! (if you're left-handed)

Maybe you should spend your energy collecting real data instead of whining about injustice. At this point, there's plenty of evidence that a lot of phone experience a reduction in bars - and Apple has said that a software fix will be out for that. There is no valid evidence that dropped calls are a widespread problem. So where's the evidence for the design flaw that you keep imagining?
  • Reply 337 of 418
    Quote:

Again, this isn't written in any policy. All written policies state that a restocking fee is charged for any non-defective items.

If this is true, they should really update their written policies.

Who cares? If the phone is defective, there's no charge. If it's not defective, a restocking fee is reasonable.

The only issue is that you have to be able to prove that you have a defective phone. It's in your court.
  • Reply 338 of 418
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

I don't know if a large percentage is affected. But it appears this issue is affecting people more then normal.

It affects left-handed use. Assume around 90% of users won't be affected...

Maybe some right-handed users that wrap there hand over the whole phone are affected too but that would feel weird.
  • Reply 339 of 418
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

I just got off the phone with someone at the Apple Fifth Ave. store in New York as well. She said there is no restocking fee under the open box policy because the phone has to be opened in the store for activation, thus the customer can't be faulted for opening the box. She said plainly: return within 30 days for a full refund for any reason with no charges whatsoever.

Cool, so that means you can totally trash the phone and still get a full refund!

Thanks for trolling, you've brightened my day.
  • Reply 340 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hmmm... works for some, not for others...

I think we may have a real issue here-- seems that multitudes of users are experiencing failures with the iPhone Field Test!

When I buy an iPhone, I expect it to include a working iPhone Field Test!

It is obvious to me that Apple knew ahead of time that this defect existed, else why would they remove it!

Open and shut case! Who do I contact?

Made me chuckle.