Apple's share of U.S. PC market cracks the 10% barrier

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe that's because the Apple iPad is a computer peripheral NOT a stand-alone computing device.

Note: One must use an actual computer to even get the iPad up and running... Very Telling

You can request that Apple activate it in the Apple Store for you. Once activated, it doesn't need a computer.
  • Reply 22 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I see what you are saying but I think almost all of us that use the iPad would agree that using it in conjunction with another computer is certainly they way to go. It really doesn't make for a very good standalone device at this point.

Again that is a matter of user preference and opinion. Word processing? complex excel calculations? PowerPoint design? Video editing? Sound editing? Image editing? This is a media creation machine as well as media playback machine? This is a computer ... and many of us who took this on the road instead of the laptop on a business trip got sold on this quickly.

It has never been necessary for me to connect my mac to my ipad. Like another poster said. Even apple can do that, so you don't really NEED the computer to make it work ... so it is hardly a perif. It acts more like a small laptop computer than any other device category. That is my point. An honest look at the numbers should include the iPad as a computer sale.
  • Reply 23 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You can request that Apple activate it in the Apple Store for you. Once activated, it doesn't need a computer.

I was going to reply to him directly, but you've already done that.

Apple got mine going in the store for me. Then, while still in the store, my iPad downloaded apps, and I was working with it.

Unfortunately, we do need a computer to upgrade the OS, and for backup. Otherwise, it isn't needed; even for printing.

But to say that it isn't a computer because it uses one for those two purposes is like saying that a PC isn't a computer because it needs the internet computer network for many tasks. Neither would be true.

But as usual, DaHarder is saying something he knows isn't true in order to annoy people. Either that, or he doesn't know what computers are, OR peripherals.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I see what you are saying but I think almost all of us that use the iPad would agree that using it in conjunction with another computer is certainly they way to go. It really doesn't make for a very good standalone device at this point.

It is not intended to be a standalone device. It makes trade-offs in product attributes (e.g., portable v. standalone) as all computers do, even laptops v. desktops.

For someone to call it a peripheral is a ridiculous statement, and I am sure you'd agree.
  • Reply 25 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Those stats look suspiciously like netbooks are faltering under the crunch of a tool that is idealized for it?s HW. I wonder how the anti-iPad, netbook advocates are going to spin this. A recession, only rich people can afford to buy anything right now so they are buying Macs while everyone else can?t even afford the more useful and better netbook?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

These numbers don't include the iPad sales, so an honest look at these numbers would have it even higher. Anyone who uses an iPad would tell you it is more in line with a small laptop than a phone.

It?s not using a relatively bloated desktop OS not designed for such slow HW, it?s using a mobile OS that was specifically created for such devices and a UI specifically redesigned to suit its needs. For those reason I don?t feel it should be included with ?PC? sales as currently defined.
  • Reply 26 of 148
    Apple was at 15% at some point when the Mac was first introduced. It dropped to 12% later. Then when Apple raised its price in the wake of rejecting MS's offer to license the Mac OS, it dropped a bit more.

It was Michael "You don't need to be a visionary to run Apple" Spindler who nearly brought the company down. That's an interesting story I lived through, and almost every article you read has gotten it wrong, because they were written a while after it happened, and misinterpret it, because they don't seem to remember what brought it on.
  • Reply 27 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

random words

What's wrong with your computer? Apostrophes don't come out correctly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Nonsense

Can't use it without a computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You can't update the software without a computer. You have to buy all media on-device, as you can't sync without a computer. Software breaks? You can't restore it without a computer. Forget the lock password? Can't get in without a computer.
  • Reply 28 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If Apple was making ⅓ of the industries consumer profits years ago, before the netbooks started selling in droves, I wonder what there profits are now. I can’t image any PC maker in the world wouldn’t trade places with Apple if they could.
  • Reply 29 of 148
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    IMHO that's the computer tech I prefer to buy
  • Reply 30 of 148
    If one considers "most" users are basically just doing email, music, photo management, reading e-books, or facebook, etc. I think the iPad could very well be a "stand-alone" device. I would very much like to simplify my digital life down to an iPhone 4 and an iPad 3Gs (MobileMe/the Cloud), NetFlix and tell my cable company to stick it up their nose once and for all!

We may still need a computer for now, as previous posters have said, backup, updates, work, etc., but very shortly we won't.

I can't wait. Who the hell wants to work on a computer all day? Ugggh!
  • Reply 31 of 148
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those stats look suspiciously like netbooks are faltering under the crunch of a tool that is idealized for it?s HW. I wonder how the anti-iPad, netbook advocates are going to spin this. A recession, only rich people can afford to buy anything right now so they are buying Macs while everyone else can?t even afford the more useful and better netbook?

It?s not using a relatively bloated desktop OS not designed for such slow HW, it?s using a mobile OS that was specifically created for such devices and a UI specifically redesigned to suit its needs. For those reason I don?t feel it should be included with ?PC? sales as currently defined.

I would like to point out that the iPad wasn't marketed as a computer. It was purposely introduced as a category "between a smart phone and a laptop". Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have to agree that the iPad shouldn't be considered an actual "computer". Although technically a calculator could be considered a computer....
  • Reply 32 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's wrong with your computer? Apostrophes don't come out correctly.

Can't use it without a computer.

You can't update the software without a computer. You have to buy all media on-device, as you can't sync without a computer. Software breaks? You can't restore it without a computer. Forget the lock password? Can't get in without a computer.

What you're saying is a distortion of the truth, though there is some correctness about some of it, while the rest is simply wrong

I don't even understand what you mean by " You have to buy all media on-device".

Nevertheless, it's irrelevant. It's still a computer.

Servers often require an outside computer to be connected in order to be updated, re-set, or have their software adjusted. Does that mean that they're not computers? That would be foolish to say.

The truth is that the iPad is a computer that's not 100% independent.
  • Reply 33 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I would like to point out that the iPad wasn't marketed as a computer. It was purposely introduced as a category "between a smart phone and a laptop". Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have to agree that the iPad shouldn't be considered an actual "computer". Although technically a calculator could be considered a computer....

Anything that "computes" is a computer. A calculator is called that because it doesn't compute, it calculates. There's a big difference. Look it up.
  • Reply 34 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

These numbers don't include the iPad sales, so an honest look at these numbers would have it even higher. Anyone who uses an iPad would tell you it is more in line with a small laptop than a phone.

I never work on my iPad. I guess that's why. It's neither a Mac or a phone. Steve said it's a device between a smartphone and a laptop. I prefer to think of it as a device between a large desktop and a smartphone. So in that sense I see table computers replacing laptops in future markets. And then desktops becoming bigger and more powerful. Desktops are still where you get stuff done, for real.
  • Reply 35 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Anything that "computes" is a computer. A calculator is called that because it doesn't compute, it calculates. There's a big difference. Look it up.

An iPod nano is a computer because it stores and processes data. Even the shuffle is a computer.
  • Reply 36 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe that's because the Apple iPad is a computer peripheral NOT a stand-alone computing device.

Note: One must use an actual computer to even get the iPad up and running... Very Telling

I've seen you over on Engadget. You clearly have no life.

You only "must" use a computer because that's the way Apple currently has it. They would pull that plug in the morning. It's definitely not for getting work done though.
  • Reply 37 of 148
    Quote:

I don't even understand what you mean by " You have to buy all media on-device".

If you don't have a computer with which to sync, you can't get any of your media on an iPad without buying it from the stores in the relevant applications. And no photos, either.
  • Reply 38 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

An iPod nano is a computer because it stores and processes data. Even the shuffle is a computer.

It uses a computer cpu, though a very simple one. Whether it's a computer is debatable. My microwave does similar things, but its not a computer. It's not really computing.
  • Reply 39 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you don't have a computer with which to sync, you can't get any of your media on an iPad without buying it from the stores in the relevant applications. And no photos, either.

I still don't know what you mean. I get my photo's in by using the photo adapter kit, either directly from my D-SLR, or a card. I can get photo's directly from the internet, or movies, or books, or magazines, or newspapers. I can also do this from my Mac Pro. You obviously have not used an iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 148
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quote:

Perhaps you should look it up....

com·put·er   

[kuhm-pyoo-ter]

?noun

Also called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.

a person who computes; computist.

Maybe my calculator can't do this....