Apple's share of U.S. PC market cracks the 10% barrier

Comments

• Reply 41 of 148
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Why is 10% a \\"barrier\\"? Is it something that is difficult to pass through, like the sound barrier?

And that \\"modern day high\\" characterization - was the percentage higher in the pre-modern era? When was that?

Not sure what your point is - but sound barrier is exactly the comparison I would have used to justify the wording here. There is no sound "barrier" - but in the english language barrier is used to represent a goal to be achieved.

The sound barrier was a milestone, as is 10% for Mac share in the USA. Milestones are commonplace in the business world. Barrier is often synonymous with achieving a goal, surpassing a milestone. Not much to see here.

What's the big deal?
  • Reply 42 of 148
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

These numbers don't include the iPad sales, so an honest look at these numbers would have it even higher. Anyone who uses an iPad would tell you it is more in line with a small laptop than a phone.

And I am also curious as to how many of those numbers include Netbooks.

It would be interesting to confirm that Netbooks are in and the iPad is out - things would be quite different indeed!
  • Reply 43 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Your iPhone is both a computer peripheral AND a standalone phone. What would be great is if it would work as a standalone computer too.

What an inane argument. A computer is only needed to activate it. Something the Genius bar is happy to do for you before you leave the store. Or you could do it at a friends house (now if you don't have friends, I can see how that would be an issue - but even the friendless can find an Apple store).

I have to chastise my father to plug his iPad into my Mom's iMac from time to time to at least back it up. For him there certainly isn't a requirement to tie his iPad to a computer. And if Apple does't release an over the air activation like they did with the iPhone - and i fully expect a backup to the cloud via Mobile.Me within a year.

Over the air syncing to iTunes via wifi would be most welcome - it's the one thing that might finally prompt me to jailbreak
  • Reply 44 of 148
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Perhaps you should look it up....

com·put·er   

[kuhm-pyoo-ter]

?noun

Also called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.

a person who computes; computist.

Maybe my calculator can't do this....

You understand the difference between calculate and compute? as applies to a device specifically designed for that purpose. You look up the word "computer", and find a real definition.. Then look up calculator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer

Understand the word "programmable".

Calculator:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl...lating+machine
  • Reply 45 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And I am also curious as to how many of those numbers include Netbooks.

It would be interesting to confirm that Netbooks are in and the iPad is out - things would be quite different indeed!

They ALL include netbooks.
  • Reply 46 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you don't have a computer with which to sync, you can't get any of your media on an iPad without buying it from the stores in the relevant applications. And no photos, either.

Damn, applications like Safari (can save photos to your Camera Roll at a minimum), iDisk on MobileMe, and DropBox must be really inconvenient for your trolling.

Never mind all the other ways you can get content onto and off of an iPad without a computer being involved. I suppose the printing coming up in iOS 4.2 next month won't matter since the iPad is not a "computer"?

I really don't get these semantical arguments over terms like "computer" (or gawd forbid, "PC"). If it works for you as a primary solution for your needs, it's going to be successful! How it's classified or perceived, in the end, is meaningless.

Netbooks were perceived as being the end all be all to "future computing" and that sure worked out great for manufacturers

No matter what you call it', the iPad is still the most successful consumer electronics device of all time - and a key reason why Apple stock actually closed at over $300 today.
  • Reply 47 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Understand the word "programmable".

Calculator:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl...lating+machine

Damn, I haven't owned a "calculator" since the 80's then...
  • Reply 48 of 148
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

My thoughts exactly. The "calculator" I use for work is programable....
  • Reply 49 of 148
    Quote:

(can save photos to your Camera Roll at a minimum)

So one huge album of all your photos. I see.

Quote:

iDisk on MobileMe

$100 a year for functionality you have otherwise.

Quote:

trolling.

Good one.
  • Reply 50 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So one huge album of all your photos. I see.

Perhaps, but contrary to your original assertion, one that has no reliance on a computer what so ever.

Quote:

$100 a year for functionality you have otherwise.

Thank you for acknowledging there are multiple ways to get content on and off that don't require a computer.

No snarky comment for dropbox?

And for all the derision Mobile.Me gets, I have no problem paying for it. And I don't pay $100 a year for it - I get family packs on sale for under $100 a year. But even at full price it's a pittance for how much I use it and the value I derive from it.

That people like you see no value in it doesn't mean that it's valueless for all.

Quote:

Good one.

Good one indeed since you did nothing to address my counter to your original thesis - then again why am I not surprised?
  • Reply 51 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s not using a relatively bloated desktop OS not designed for such slow HW, it’s using a mobile OS that was specifically created for such devices and a UI specifically redesigned to suit its needs. For those reason I don’t feel it should be included with ‘PC’ sales as currently defined.

Ok let me get this straight. I check email, watch movies, browse the Internet, create content, edit videos. Create and edit spreadsheets, write papers, order junk from amazon, create and edit staggering presentations ... Yah there is no way it's a computer. What was i thinking I must be an idiot
  • Reply 52 of 148
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    It's a shame that this thread has been dominated by totally inane semantic discussions.

As someone who has used Apple products on, off, and on since 1983 I am continually flabbergasted by stories like this. It is just surreal to see Apple doing so well. Even back when the Apple II was tremendously popular, Apple was nothing compared to what they are now. Anyone who went to sleep in 1997 and woke up today would be amazed at how far Apple has come. If there were no iPhone, iPod, or iPad, the fact that Mac sales have risen so much would in and of itself be amazing. But to think that Mac sales have risen so much and the Mac isn't even a majority of Apple's revenue anymore... mind blowing.
  • Reply 53 of 148
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Doesn't matter if you think of the ipad as a computer or not. As a shareholder, what matters to me is that every device that Apple makes is selling well and most of them, in record numbers for margins that other manufacturers aren't seeing. And that is the reason the share price is over $300 right now. I think people are losing the forest for the trees here.

Neal
  • Reply 54 of 148
    Compared to the year-ago quarter:
    • Gartner had Apple up 13.7% while IDC reported an increase of 24.1%.

• Gartner has Acer down 21%, while IDC has Acer up 0.1%.

Now I understand that they use different methodologies, and I don't expect the numbers from two different analysts to match perfectly.

But I expect them to be closer than this!

In any event, these numbers are preliminary estimates. In the coming weeks AAPL, et. al. will release their financial reports including their actual sales numbers.

I'd love to see Apple's worldwide sales. Does anyone here know if AAPL break out US sales in their financial reports?
  • Reply 55 of 148
    Quote:

Those can only do the built-in functions. They can't be programmed the way a computer can. Both of you know that as well as I do.
  • Reply 56 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is not intended to be a standalone device. It makes trade-offs in product attributes (e.g., portable v. standalone) as all computers do, even laptops v. desktops.

For someone to call it a peripheral is a ridiculous statement, and I am sure you'd agree.

Yes, I agree... The desktop PC is definitely a peripheral to the iPad!

• Reply 57 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple was at 15% at some point when the Mac was first introduced. It dropped to 12% later. Then when Apple raised its price in the wake of rejecting MS's offer to license the Mac OS, it dropped a bit more.

It was Michael "You don't need to be a visionary to run Apple" Spindler who nearly brought the company down. That's an interesting story I lived through, and almost every article you read has gotten it wrong, because they were written a while after it happened, and misinterpret it, because they don't seem to remember what brought it on.

Ahhh... The memories of "Diesel".

• Reply 58 of 148
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's a shame that this thread has been dominated by totally inane semantic discussions.

As someone who has used Apple products on, off, and on since 1983 I am continually flabbergasted by stories like this. It is just surreal to see Apple doing so well. Even back when the Apple II was tremendously popular, Apple was nothing compared to what they are now. Anyone who went to sleep in 1997 and woke up today would be amazed at how far Apple has come. If there were no iPhone, iPod, or iPad, the fact that Mac sales have risen so much would in and of itself be amazing. But to think that Mac sales have risen so much and the Mac isn't even a majority of Apple's revenue anymore... mind blowing.

Well said!
  • Reply 59 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

ok let me get this straight. I check email, watch movies, browse the internet, create content, edit videos. Create and edit spreadsheets, write papers, order junk from amazon, create and edit staggering presentations ... Yah there is no way it's a computer. What was i thinking i must be an idiot

+++ qft

• Reply 60 of 148
    It seems the entire PC industry just does not know what to make of the iPad. It has indeed proved to be an extremely disruptive device. Both Gartner and IDC aren't lumping it in as PC unit sales but I don't think there is any doubt that the iPad had a cannibalizing effect on the PC market. We'd need a breakdown of the units sold to get a clearer picture. Will Gartner and IDC create a new "tablet" category next quarter or next year? Or will they decide to lump it in with the PC's? It doesn't seem Apple really cares. They're just too busy selling 'em and creating new models.

It would be very interesting to see what the revenue and profit share is like instead of units - both including and excluding the iPad. I think it was the Deutsche Bank that estimated that although Apple has just 4% of the global market share in PC unit shipments but around 35% of the profit share, which is quite in line with what the iPhone is doing in the handset industry. Since the Mac unit share is now over 10% in the US, that would indicate that Apple is raking in well over 50% of the profit share in the US market.

We'll see some hard numbers on Monday, but none of these figures are surprising based on what we are observing out there. Apple is gaining serious market share across the board - especially in profit share. Apple's consistently spectacular performance has now numbed us to expect the amazing numbers quarter after quarter. What's doubly amazing is that Apple still has so much room for growth. Yet the competition seems frozen and unable to respond in any effective manner. They've been blindsided and are in a daze as Apple continues to bite big chunks out of them. Fascinating...