Apple's share of U.S. PC market cracks the 10% barrier

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Their definition:

"Media tablets are slate devices that support touch and run a lightweight OS such as iOS, Android, WebOS or Meego. Examples of media tablets are the Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Cisco Cius."

Projected Sales:

"Driven by sales of the iPad, worldwide media tablet sales to end users are forecast to reach 19.5 million units in 2010, according to Gartner, Inc. Media tablets are poised for strong growth with worldwide end user sales projected to total 54.8 million units in 2011, up 181 percent from 2010 (see Table 1), and surpass 208 million units in 2014."

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1452614
  • Reply 142 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Mate, it's quite bizarre. After iOS, new users and even myself look at things like the OS X Dock and it can seem confusing. The icon is there when it's on or not on, you can remove it from the Dock but it will still be there if it is on. Windows don't maximise fully (this destroys PC switchers, it's quite funny actually). Then there's this thing called the Finder running all the time which you can't quit, nobody really knows what it does. Then, you could have a window open but if it is not the focus then the menu bar still says options for a different program. Forget about the filesystem making any sense to new users, they panic when they don't see the C Drive, get confused about "where are all my files" and do things like throw away the Library folder or System or what not. Drivers are another big thing, every time they connect some new hardware they expect to put in an Install CD. Finally new users to Mac are absolutely obsessed with cleaning up and protecting the "system" - to be fair OS X is too simple, it doesn't reassure people to forget any of this cleanup stuff... Unlike iOS, which just tells you to f*k off by not letting you touch the system at all.

^^^ that's hilarious.

I wonder how many people today even know why it's called a "C drive" or even what the term "drive" means
  • Reply 143 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I pointed this out earlier. All categories are artificial, but they are inherent to the way our species think. You can?t expect everyone to simply stop categorizing when so much of out way of life depends on it.

Ha!

I agree with both points.

As a kid, I had a friend who's mom was named Linnea after her paternal antecedent, Swedish Botonist Carl Linneaus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Linnaeus

Now, there was a guy that knew how to categorize things.

• Reply 144 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

^^^ that's hilarious.

I wonder how many people today even know why it's called a "C drive" or even what the term "drive" means

Yeah, where are the A and B drives... And, while we're at it, where is Channel 1 on the TV?

• Reply 145 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha!

I agree with both points.

As a kid, I had a friend who's mom was named Linnea after her paternal antecedent, Swedish Botonist Carl Linneaus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Linnaeus

Now, there was a guy that knew how to categorize things.

His only folly seems to be the the categorizing of humans based on bigotry, not science.

Quote:

Under Homo Sapiens, Linnaeus had four groups; Americanus (reddish, stubborn and temperamental), Asiaticus (yellow, greedy and absentminded), Africanus (black, lazy and irresponsible) and Europeanus (white, gentle, and intelligent).

Coincidentally, Linnaeaus was part of last week’s QI episode.
  • Reply 146 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, where are the A and B drives... And, while we're at it, where is Channel 1 on the TV?

You know, as a child, I always wondered why there was no channel 1. Then I forgot about it.

So I just looked it up, and now I know.
  • Reply 147 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You know, as a child, I always wondered why there was no channel 1. Then I forgot about it.

So I just looked it up, and now I know.

Our first TV was back in 1949 -- this little 7" beauty:

Quote:

A striking early television, Hallicrafter's model 505 is unusual in several ways. One glance at the small picture tube and the 13 tuning pushbuttons (including Channel 1) tells you that this is no ordinary TV. The technology inside, as well as the external appearance, are notably different from modern sets.

http://www.antiqueradio.org/halli505.htm

Only 3 stations were broadcasting-- buttons 4 , 5 and 13 (AIR).

Better get the popcorn -- Uncle Miltie's on in 5 minutes/

Our family of 6 and 2 or 3 neighbors would gather around and watch anything (including test patterns).

• Reply 148 of 148

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That chair has a pretty sweet design... Damn Ikea, there used to be good furniture.

Didn't recognize the computer -- A DEC System 10 (looked it up)

The 5 Machines at the far end of the row appear to be IBM 729 Magnetic Tape Drives -- Best of Breed I/O and Storage device of their time (IBM's iPod to everyone elses Zune)

It is interesting that the predominant color is IBM Blue (origin of the "Big Blue" attribution) even though the "computers" are from an IBM competitor.

The chair is by Herman Miller ca 1979 -- top of the line, AIR about $500 (back then)

The floor tiles are part of a very expensive (several hundred $ per square foot) raised floor -- all the cables were underneath and it served as a giant air condictioning duct.

Finally, there was a tool, with two suction cups, that was used to lift a floor tile. It was affectionate;y known as a breast pump.