First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 307
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Got my 32/ Verizon/ Black model in this afternoon. I love the screen, it's absolutely amazing. Text is phenomenal. However, the weight increase is definitely noticeable to me. Very pleased with it so far but the weight is a bit irritating.
  • Reply 42 of 307
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

In terms of raw CPU power, it's not any different really, as the CPU is about the same and it's the graphics that got a bump up to Quad Core. This new iPad is all about the display.

It sounds like you should just get an iPad2, if the display is not a big deal to you.

As for me, yeah, I do think that it's a significant improvement. More and more apps are going to be updated for the retina display soon, and Netflix is going to begin 1080p streaming for the iPad hopefully soon. I also read alot, and having super sharp text that is print quality is a big deal for me.
  • Reply 43 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by feamster View Post

Has anyone noticed the difference in the dock conector size? I tried to plug my ipad 2 charging cable into the ipad 3 and it wouldn't fit. The ipad 3 connector looks the same but has a veru secure feel to the plugin.

I didn't notice it. My iPad 3 dock connector is still sitting in the box. I used the iPad 2 dock connector on it when I was syncing, and it fit without any problems.
  • Reply 44 of 307
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

God, you sounds like an annoyingly lifeless person. The one who sit blankly while everybody dancing and having the time of their lives.
  • Reply 45 of 307
    First benchmark between the iPad and the Asus Transformer Prime:

Browsing and javascript: Very close - iPad wins one and Prime wins one. It's a tradeoff

Graphics performance: iPad's 4 core GPU demolishes the Primes 12 core GPU!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdbtiNnZzE
  • Reply 46 of 307
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

God, you sounds like an annoyingly lifeless person. The one who sit blankly while everybody dancing and having the time of their lives.

What did you expect him to say? Have you read his other posts?

I'll summarize: Apple sucks!!

lol
  • Reply 47 of 307
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

12 core GPU

For real???
  • Reply 48 of 307
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Looking at the new screen, the resolution is impressive, though I'm likely to exchange mine for another one if I find the 'screen-bleed' more than I care to endure on a (near) 900.00 device (mine's a 64gb/LTE Verizon).

Another thing I'm noticing is that for those of us who have large on-device iOS app libraries is the size of these 'new iPad' optimized apps, as it's been confirmed by several sites that they can be up to 5 times larger than their predecessors. Even the recent updates to Apple's Pages app went from 95mb to 269mb, Numbers from 109mb to 283mb, and iMovie from 70mb to a whopping 404mb?

One can only deduce that the more graphics-heavy gaming apps like EA's FIFA '12 (already more than 1.2gb as it stands), as well as Epic's Infinity Blade and Gameloft's Mortal Combat series (all at a gig or more all ready) are likely going to be absolutely huge downloads, presenting not only possible device storage issues, but also concerns for those who desire to update said apps while on-the-go via (data-cap limited) LTE equipped 'new iPads'.

We'll See... \

I think that the more 'traditional' apps will grow more by including 4x res graphics for buttons, icons, etc. Something like FIFA (well, 3d OpenGL apps in general) can be sharper without having to provide 4x textures. Object edges will automatically gain, anyway, and object textures are often higher res than they need to be for general gameplay because they already have enough resolution for when you're zoomed in as well.

Now if they do include higher res textures for everything else, then all bets are off and suddenly it's going to seem really strange that Apple even kept a 16GB model around, particularly when people now actually have a camera that's usable for pics and video too.

(Strange aside from keeping higher margins on the product, that is... But too bad in that case.)
  • Reply 49 of 307
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverspeedy View Post

I only had room for a ukulele behind my iphone 4. How did you fit a viola?

Damn you! Made me laugh and choke on my lunch.
  • Reply 50 of 307
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

Why did you buy it?
  • Reply 51 of 307
    If the Transformer can run iOS then the comparison is appropriate--

Since it can't, even 4GHZ CPU and 1000x graphics won't make a difference. It's still Android.

Quote:

First benchmark between the iPad and the Asus Transformer Prime:

Browsing and javascript: Very close - iPad wins one and Prime wins one. It's a tradeoff

Graphics performance: iPad's 4 core GPU demolishes the Primes 12 core GPU!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdbtiNnZzE

• Reply 52 of 307
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverspeedy View Post

I only had room for a ukulele behind my iphone 4. How did you fit a viola?

- cracked me up, that one did!
  • Reply 53 of 307
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Listen Tyler, please don't buy an more Apple gear until you've got yourself some decent curtains!
  • Reply 54 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

For real???

The Prime has a 4 core CPU and a 12 core GPU.

The iPad has a 2 core CPU and a 4 core GPU.

The Prime with all that hardware cannot keep up with the iPad....game over
  • Reply 55 of 307
    +1

5 chars.

Quote:

The Prime has a 4 core CPU and a 12 core GPU.

The iPad has a 2 core CPU and a 4 core GPU.

The Prime with all that hardware cannot keep up with the iPad....game over

• Reply 56 of 307
    This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see
  • Reply 57 of 307
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

If the Transformer can run iOS then the comparison is appropriate--

Since it can't, even 4GHZ CPU and 1000x graphics won't make a difference. It's still Android.

The other thing it left me wondering how you should take their benchmark given the lack of screen resolution information. So it's 2048x1536 vs. 1280x800?

When you get a browser benchmark that includes HTML rendering for a device with 3 times the resolution coming in about 1% slower, that's pretty good. Assuming OpenGL was running at native resolution, those 2.x to 3.x faster results are more in the 7-11x speed range, which means you could either have similar res apps with way higher effects or higher res apps with (still) better effects.

Pretty impressive. Or maybe not if they weren't both running native res? Not really clear to me, anyway.
  • Reply 58 of 307
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You guys are a bunch of show offs...

I have a feeling my FedEx guy is parked someplace drooling over my iPad.

Uh, I don't think thats drool.
  • Reply 59 of 307
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Listen Tyler, please don't buy an more Apple gear until you've got yourself some decent curtains!

Since the 2 cats have already demolished my shears, the purchase of drapes will be much more involved than the iPad
  • Reply 60 of 307
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see

Interesting. It ended the sentences properly, but it didn't capitalize the beginning word of one? And I see that it doesn't quite understand question marks yet, but I'm sure you can manually vocalize them in.

All in all, exactly what I'd expect from Nuance software. Does it require an Internet connection to work?